Official Windows Mobile 6.1 Update Discussion Topic

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9h' started by chris, Aug 15, 2008.

1. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

ENOUGH!

get back on topic with discussing the update provided by MOTOROLA
    enough of the petty arguing

first and only warning
  2. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

we -mod squad- are watching this thread, NO personal attacks (forum rules).. & keep this civil and keep it on topic.

potQ9c
  3. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

ya beat me to it..

potQ9c
  4. JeffPom

JeffPom New Member

Anyone willing to help a Q rook?
  5. braj

braj New Member

The updater finally recognized the Q and I've updated fine now. Just need to figure out how to map another app to the Music key so I can replace WMP and get rid of that stupid behavior. Why they don't make these keys end-user accessible is beyond me. Coming from Palm OS where everything is hackable it seems so limiting. I guess I'll figure it out eventually.

CAn anyone say if CorePlayer is working in 6.1 and also if i8t makes a better music player than WMP?
  6. mark72501

mark72501 New Member

Can someone tell me if Facade and/or PhoneAlarm will work on this official WM6.1 update from Moto and AT&T?

EDIT: Found out that Facade works fine, just can't use Facade while using new slider homescreens.

Anyone know about PhoneAlarm??? I need those repeating reminders for texts/voicemail! lol
  7. mexiken

mexiken New Member

Thank you everyone for at least understanding where I'm coming from, and those that actually backed me up....

If anyone bricked their AT&T phone, you could do a few things about it (this applies to both my update and the Moto site one):

Say, "I took it to the Moto Repair Center, and now its bricked", or, "my phone wont turn on anymore"

Simple as that. You get a new one. No questions asked.

Worse case scenario, you take it to a Moto Repair Center while still in warranty, and they will use, guess what ???? RSD Lite to try to flash your phone and unbrick it. They certainly don't use that msu stuff. Thats for simplicity, not troubleshooting.

The point is, any one of you could have just walked into a Moto repair shop since the day I released the file, and they would have simply plugged the phone in, searched the servers for the most current file, and as of July 26th, 6.1 was, and they would reflash your phone. If your phone craps out 2 days later, AT&T isn't going to say, "well too bad, you have an "unofficial" update. And what happens when you have a problem with your "official" update ???? People seem to be, and now they're stuck. In those cases, only RSD Lite and a Moto tech can help you.

Motorola released the file on its own servers and made it readily available to technicians to use, its not some leaked file. I just know people that have access to the update server. You know that server it checks when you plug in your phone to find you an update ???? Yea, that one.

I could go back and forth on this, but its not worth my time anymore. Call it what you want, there is no difference in the end of the files, or the help you would get if your flash failes. It just kinda reinforces the sour taste that this whole 6.1 debacle has left me.

Scott and Rudeboy, sorry for the post. I'll keep an eye on the Q9c for you, and let you know when its out. Other than that, I'll keep releases to myself, and any new ones will go up on MMUK. I'm gonna lay low from now on. This just saddens me really.

Chick-Fil-A is calling. Ciao.
  8. RichS

RichS Member

Speed Dial Question

I upgraded successfully, from the Moto site and cannot for the life of me figure out how to assign Speed Dials to my Contacts. When I have my list of contacts open, the "Add Speed Dial" option is not one of the items listed n the menu. What am I missing, and thanks in advance!!!
  9. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

mexiken, your efforts were and are appreciated here by many.. no need to lay low unless that is really what you want..

potQ9c
  10. mbrown15

mbrown15 New Member

Agree. Those of us who used the pre release version did so fully informed and because we wanted to play with the new ROM. Simple as that. I have not heard (read) one person how had a burning technical need for the new rom.

And so, to remain on topic . . . I have no issues with the version on MMUK so I wont need the Official version. I was also able to get a jump on the Chome configuration and have my phone pretty well dialed in. Many of us have and have since been in a position to aid others with the Official release or otherwise.

So Mex - thanks. When you gunna get your hands on WM7?:2cool:
  11. JFoxtrot

JFoxtrot New Member

Hi ... quick question...

When I do the upgrade will I loose the contacts that are saved to my sim card or are those saved ? If they are lost are the sim card contacts backed up with a program such as sprite backup ?
  12. mark72501

mark72501 New Member

I sync on a regular basis with Outlook on my PC so my contacts were saved (i.e. "backed up") in that manner. You can also use something like the free service Dashwire to backup (best if you have a unlimited data plan but, if you don't, connect your Q to the PC with the USB cable and it'll transfer/sync using the cable not the data plan; you can then go into the Dashwire settings and set to manually sync instead of automatic).

To answer your main question, my SIM contacts were still on the SIM after the backup. I sync'd the phone with Outlook and the rest of my contacts showed up so then I set the phone to not display SIM contacts so I didn't have duplicates. It was all pretty seamless.

Hope that helps!
  13. George Knighton

George Knighton New Member

I eventually elected to delete all SIM contacts because the voice command system continued to offer choices off of the SIM card when there were different numbers for a contact that sounded the same.
  14. ernest_feist@msn.com

ernest_feist@msn.com New Member

Anybody having this problem? The updater reports that the phones software is up to date. I did a hard reset of the phone, reinstalled update software, check activesync setting. I did notice that the updater reports back the IMEI # but not the Model # or Operator. Any thoughts would be appreciated. PS: I have not previously flashed with 6.1, i am running 6.0.

Thanks
  15. ptlee8202

ptlee8202 New Member

try uninstalling the motorola update software.

after uninstalling, check C:\Program Files\Motorola\Software Update and delete any left over folders and files.

then reinstall the correct motorola update software.

check C:\Program Files\Motorola\Software Update\firmwares
    it should have 2 files:

AT_T_USA_GSM_Q9H_MOL1.xml.msu

SHIP_NORMAN_AP_U_01.09.28R_MODEM4_U_40.11.40R_04_USNORMANATT02NAR2W611A005-AT_T_1719931436.sbf
  16. jareda17

jareda17 New Member

Before I updated the phone to 6.1 my Q would automatically update the time when I would travel to a different timezone. I travel quite a bit and this feature was extra nice given that my schedule is always based on local time. It gets kind of annoying to manually change it since I am typically not in the same location for more than 12-15 hours. Since updating to 6.1 the phone no longer updates automaically. Any suggestions.

I have read other post saying that Q's had to be changed manually, but this was not the case for mine with WM6
  17. JeffPom

JeffPom New Member

Okay - I'll ask one more time...

Text messages anyone??? They are backed up only on Dashwire for me... Jeyo did not do the job. Jeyo did not save any of my stuff... (even though I thought it did.)

And... my cabs??? I saved them on my computer, and used activesync to drag and drop them onto my Q. Yet, I can not find any of them on my phone...

Anyone willing to help??????????????????????
  18. ptlee8202

ptlee8202 New Member

use the phone's file manager and if you can remember where you dragged the cabs, get there and click on them to install them.
  19. computermavin

computermavin New Member

Hi all. I've been keeping up with this post and I'm quite interested in WM 6.1. However I seem to be having the same problem with the MSU not recognizing that there's an update. I tried the suggested method and it didn't work. I've tried it a couple times over the past couple days too. Any suggestions? Many thanks to all.
  20. ptlee8202

ptlee8202 New Member

any chance your phone is not a us att q9h global?