Official Verizon Motorola Q 9c Windows Mobile 6.1 Update Discussion

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9c' started by chris, Sep 19, 2008.

1. moto_ftth

moto_ftth New Member

The update software doesn't notice when I connect my phone. I'm running Vista 32 bit. Firewall and anti-virus turned off. I updated the Mobile Device center as instructed and the phone syncs fine. Rebooted the pc, rebooted the phone (didn't do a master reset though) - still no luck.

Any ideas?
  2. dafoxs

dafoxs New Member

Do you plug the usb in first, then the phone? Have you tried a different port if you have one?
  3. moto_ftth

moto_ftth New Member

Tried two different ports - same result.
    I think I tried both plug in orderings - does it matter?
  4. stlqcuser

stlqcuser New Member

Possible fix for device not being detected

A coworker had a similar problem and I was able to get it working. It seems as though the updater uses TCP/IP to update the device, but windows was not enabling the device for TCP/IP traffic.

When you have the "advanced network functionality" enabled and you plug in your Q, an additional network device should show up under your Windows Network Connections. It will probably be called something like "Local Area Conneciton 2".

Viewing properties on this object will show that the device is the Windows Mobile Device. On my coworkers Q that was not working, the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) checkbox was not checked. I checked this and hit OK, started the update software, and the device was detected.

If your device is not detected, run and "ipconfig" from the command line. If your mobile device is showing "media disconnected", this is your problem. Once you enable the TCP/IP checkbox for that connection, an ipconfig will show your device having a 169.254.x.x address. This is an address automatically assigned by your system.

5. Jerbos13

Jerbos13 New Member

Interesting, well if I ever need to re-install I will def try that... thanks for info
  6. _Dave

_Dave New Member

I can't believe that WM 6.1 didn't include audible missed call alerts. I use PhoneAlarmSP now, but I sure wish Microsoft would have inculded missed call alerts in this version of WM. There are alot of people who want it.
  7. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

possibly your 'unread message alert' would do the same for a missed call

start
    settings
    more
    more
    unread message alert
  8. _Dave

_Dave New Member

No, you have to use third party software such as PhoneAlarmSP.......at least that's the case with WM 6.0. I haven't downloaded 6.1 yet to try it.
  9. n99hockey

mine is turned off so thats why i said 'possibly':laugh2:
  10. JeffCarlin

JeffCarlin New Member

My biggest concern is backing up my data. I've got Sprite and itr works great, but I normally do a complete backup. For this, I guess I only want to back up certain things only because I can't try and overwrite the 6.1 update. Anyone have an idea of what should be backed up and restored? The thought of having to re-install my software and tweaking all my settings is enough to keep me from even trying to install 6.1.
  11. Q-Area51

Q-Area51 Guest

I used Sprite backup - saved what I wanted and VOILA - ready to restore after the flash and ready to go. That's it. Nothin' to it. You have to choose what you want to backup.
  12. JeffCarlin

JeffCarlin New Member

Right, but how do I know which items to backup & restore? Do I backup everything and then just check certain items to restore?

***Follow up: This might be a moot problem since the update software doesn't recognize that my phone is connected.
  13. Q-Area51

Q-Area51 Guest

I'm sorry . . . Assuming that you understand that the upgrade totally resets your phone as in a master reset - what to backup is your choice. Pardon me, but I'd have no way of knowing what you have on your phone. You're asking me a question that only you can answer. Sorry I can't do better than that for you.
  14. JeffCarlin

JeffCarlin New Member

Sorry, I wasn't as clear as I should have been. What I'm mostly concerned about is restoring things I should not, i.e., files that will interfere with 6.1. I know about restoring those items related to add-on software I have installed, but it's the system-type files that I'm concerned about.
  15. n99hockey

so then just choose the items you placed on the phone
    its silly to do a full backup

backup contacts/calendar/tasks/ie favortes/pictures/movies anything you placed on the phone you want back
    do not worry about system files or apps.....
  16. moto_ftth

moto_ftth New Member

It finally worked for me too after installing RSDLite 4.2. I think the problem is that the Motorola USB drivers were out of date. When RSDLite installed it detected the out-of-date drivers and downloaded and installed driver version 3.7. After that the update started within seconds of connecting the phone.
  17. Q-Area51

Q-Area51 Guest

You DO NOT restore ANY system files.
  18. Q-Area51

Q-Area51 Guest

YA done good !!!!! Glad you are up and running !!!!!:laugh2:
  19. jacksonian

jacksonian New Member

I'm having a similar problem as everyone else. I've tried many of the suggestions in here, and I downloaded RSD Lite 4.2, opened it, tried to figure it out, but no luck. I'm running XP with SP3, my phone does have the advanced thing checked, i've tried different usb ports, etc.
    any suggestions or is there something i need to try in rsd lite?
  20. Q-Area51

Q-Area51 Guest

Above a bit cryptic but I guessing that Active Sync is running and shows "connected" but you have NOT created a partnership . . . yes?