Official Verizon Motorola Q 9c Windows Mobile 6.1 Update Discussion

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9c' started by chris, Sep 19, 2008.

1. sciggs

sciggs New Member

What all should i backup before upgrading to 6.1. I already backed up my contacts. Is that really the only vital thing i would lose? Apps can be redownloaded i'm not worried about those.
  2. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

calendar, tasks, ringtones, pictures

-Sent from my Q9c
  3. sciggs

sciggs New Member

cool thanks. I copied the pim.vol file onto my computer, do i just drop that back into the phones root to get my contacts back?
  4. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

you'll want to copy it to a temporary folder on your phone, and then use the built in file manager to overwrite the new pim.vol that is created after the upgrade. then reboot
  5. sciggs

sciggs New Member

K i just did this and while rebooting, it kept getting stuck on the Windows Mobile scree. I searched some threads and a lot ppl said this happened to them before while overwriting their pim.vol file. I had to do a master reset to get it to turn back on. Did i do something wrong? Where should i go from here?
  6. jameskil

jameskil New Member

Your Not Alone

Your not alone ... its happening to me as well ...:angry:
  7. jameskil

jameskil New Member

Happens to me too

Your not alone
  8. Jerbos13

Jerbos13 New Member

Same thing is happening to me, I even tried 2 different computers, but both have XP with SP3.. i cant figure it out.. i have firewall off, enabled advanced network functionality, followed all steps exactly, really makes no sense.. getting pretty frustrated (already on 6th try) I might just try the unofficial version but just annoying that official wont work cause obviously i would rather use that method... any suggestions!? please help! :tounge:
  9. manbat

manbat Active Member

Are you connected.........

====================================================
    Are you connected directly to the USB port? Don't use a hub. Try one of the USB ports at the back of the computer. A different port works sometimes...don't know why.
  10. Jerbos13

Jerbos13 New Member

Yup, and I even tried like 7 different USB ports on 2 computers.. On my desktop I get the problem that it has error after update starts, but i forgot to mention that when I try to do it on my laptop, the updater cant even detect that my phone is plugged in, but active sync detects it just fine... still no progress...
  11. manbat

manbat Active Member

I have used the Motorola site before.....

===============================================
    I have used the Motorola site before to do an update on my Q9m....Didn't have any problem. I used the pre-release ROM on my Q9m to get WM 6.1. Didn't have any problem. When I go to the Moto site it reads my Q9m as a Q9c now...but it says I have the "most recient software". Have you considered this way?
  12. Jerbos13

Jerbos13 New Member

No but that is not a bad idea, gonna try running the Q9m version of the update and see if it works... (wonder if there is even any difference or just the same updater for different phones?)
  13. Jerbos13

Jerbos13 New Member

nope, wont even let me do it if I download the Q9m version, says i already have the latest updates...
  14. manbat

manbat Active Member

Moto Site

==================================
    The Q9m on the Moto site is just a minor upgrade..still 6.0, I flashed my Q9m to WM6.1 with the Q9c ROM available from another string here on EQ.
  15. Jerbos13

Jerbos13 New Member

Ahh ok, well since both my computers have a custom version of XP im gonna go over to my friends house tommorrow and try the upgrade on a normal version of XP, if that doesnt work ill use the pre-release version.. Ill let you know how it goes, thanks for the help
  16. Jerbos13

Jerbos13 New Member

Ok well I went over to my friends house and the update worked fine on his computer running an official version of XP SP2. I might have some insight into the update problems people are having but nothing specific. The update failed on both of my computers at home, and both of my computers are running a custom version of windows. In the custom version of windows there is a lot of "services" turned off (My Computer > Administrative Tools > Services). My only guess is that one of these services that I have turned off is preventing the update from working. Maybe someone who knows more about computers than me can figure out which service is affecting this update? Just a guess... lemme know if anyone can provide more insight.
  17. Q-Area51

Q-Area51 Guest

Well there ya go !!! Glad that you've got your upgrade. :laugh2:
  18. manbat

manbat Active Member

================================Glad it finally worked for you!
  19. _Dave

_Dave New Member

Does WM 6.1 have alerts for missed calls?
  20. Q-Area51

Q-Area51 Guest

Just the little phone handset in the upper left corner of your home screen.