Official Q9M Hack Thread

Discussion in 'Moto Q Hacks' started by pyrobling, Sep 25, 2007.

1. pyrobling

pyrobling New Member

Official Q9M Hack Thread

So someone pm-ed me and asked what I use for hacks and what I recommend for software...I was thinking that we do have a thread for hacks but it might be interesting to see what some of us use and which we recommend...RUDEBOY/N99HOCKEY feel free to edit this if needed but I am just going to copy/paste the response I sent back to the person.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by acr4life
    I'm a new q9m owner and someone suggested I look up your posts. What are the best hacks to do to get my phone to work better? what software do you recommend?

thanks

acr

LOL so who said check with me thats funny...o well I got lots.

First you will need to get RESCO explorer and registry editor. Then the apps depend greatly on what you want. As for hacks here is what I have done...some customization and some for improvements...

Pocket IE speed boost...
    http://www.everythingq.com/forum/mot...mes-10413.html

Increase CPU speed (will drain battery more I used 2 go 2-3 days now I go one long day)...
    http://www.everythingq.com/forum/mot...mhz-12075.html

Now the others are from the Q Hack sticky I just picked ones I like but they are not all on a forum so I will copy & paste some...

Speed Hack______________________________________________ _
    1) Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\GDI\GLYPHCACHE
    -> change limit from 16384 to 32768

2) Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\STORAGEMANAGER\FATFS
    -> change cachesize to 4096

Disabling beep when hitting send to dial a number (djcampis)________
    Go to:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ControlPanel\Sounds\Dialing
    -> Change the value for the Sound string to *none*

No Camera Click Sound______________________________________
    Go to:
    \HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\Pictures\Camera\OEM\Sou ndFile

Change the string/value:
    \windows\shuttersound_02_secs.wav

to say:
    \windows\*none*

No Startup Sound___________________________________________
    Go to:
    \HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ControlPanel\Sounds\SystemStart \Sound
    Change:
    \Windows\Piano.wav to \Windows\*none*

Disable SMS sent...
    http://www.everythingq.com/forum/14506-post3.html

This is for if you want to browse the device for file transfer great for sending/receiving everything and it allows you to view all folders not just My Documents...
    http://www.everythingq.com/forum/17719-post178.html

Customization for phone name...
    http://www.everythingq.com/forum/8608-post61.html

Maxing Headset and earpiece volumes...
    http://www.everythingq.com/forum/55737-post473.html

Software:
    Sprite backup
    TCPMP
    AgileMessenger
    Bankarama
    Contact Fix
    GoogleMaps
    Handyweather
    Sniper(though it isn't functional yet...I just have it and am waiting)

These are just a few I have loaded...download Handango-In-Hand which you do by clicking on the download link in your start menu and it will install and then you can test and check out lots of apps on a trial basis before you buy to see what you like best. There are also a lot in the EQ software tab at the top of the screen you can check out on a trial basis too so poke around and enjoy.

These are all the hacks I believe I am using at the time....this may be missing a couple but I think it's close. The little stuff is not only customization but helps a little bit here and there in battery life because everything the phone does affects life and performance more and more. I must admit though after doing all of these the device pretty much rocks and is one of my favorite phones ever.

Any more questions don't hesitate to ask I'm more then willing to help

-A

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

i will sticky this for you guys!

also changed the name to 'Official Q9M Hack Thread'
  3. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

hey, i believe i advised him to look for your posts.. the above post is great, within a few days i shall delete this reply and from time to time we might have to clean up this thread if too many members start to ask questions in this thread.
  4. pyrobling

pyrobling New Member

Glad it helps.

As for as software tell people if they wanna try it to kick it my way since I am more then willing to give it a once over after I backup.

Same thing with hacks I don't mind manipulating one bit :wink:
  5. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

will do.... thanks man.
  6. miller03

miller03 New Member

Disabling beep when hitting send to dial a number (djcampis)________
    Go to:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ControlPanel\Sounds\Dialing
    -> Change the value for the Sound string to *none*

This hack didn't work on my Q9m, after applying the hack and placing a call the original file was replaced in the registry. If others have found this to be the case try this:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ControlPanel\SoundCategories\CallStart

Set InitVol from 2 to 0
  7. pyrobling

pyrobling New Member

8. pyrobling

pyrobling New Member

Here is a hack not to mess with that I guess now is only on the Q9m. It is for changing the Splash screen but will conflict with the other Splash Screen hack.

DO NOT USE...
    HKLM/SYSTEM/STARTUP/2/SPLASH...

This will mess up and SKIP your start up image is not completely distort it.

**posted from my Q
  9. pyrobling

pyrobling New Member

Been hunting EVERYWHERE for this hack. It works on ALL Q's.

This will make your scroll bars smaller so you have more room to view thw page.

HKLM/SYSTEM/GWE
    Change the values from 6 to 3 (I use 2)
    CXVSCR
    CYHSCR

**posted from my Q
  10. nanis

nanis New Member

Hey i have a q9m and i have tried everything to change the startup sound, Ive read almost every forum and most are based on the original q,, can u help?
  11. Jaxel

Jaxel New Member

I moved the link to messaging from my start menu to a different folder. Because I did this, anytime I push the text messaging button on my phone (to the right of the 0/? key), I get an error alert "cant open shortcut". I cant exit this error, thus basically crashing my phone and forcing me to restart.

Anyone know the registry hack for the Q9M to fix this? Change the shortcut for that button?
  12. kingbird6

kingbird6 New Member

Resco Editor

Hi, maybe I'm a bit dense with direvtories but I downloaded resco editor to my phone and not what you you go to to type or to find that "H_KEY" command string that you refer to in order to get to control panel to find these sound files. Can you give me some insight ? I'm a quick learner...THANKS !
  13. r0bren0

r0bren0 New Member

pyrobling:

I am using PHM Registry Editor. I have looked for the HKLM/SYSTEM/GWE, but all paths begin with HKEY, and not HKLM. This is a noobie error, would you be able to shed some light on this?
  14. kingbird6

kingbird6 New Member

Hkey

I believe I saw that another thread post refers to HKLM as a "tech" abbreviation and not an actual path. Resco editor only shows HKEY on mine and I was able to do all of the posted hacks with those paths. Good luck...
  15. TommyTuna

TommyTuna New Member

Some great tweaks here. Anybody figure out how to remap some of the keys? I'm looking to remap the windows media key to another exe. All I can find is the old Q key maps but they don't seem to apply to this new phone.

Also - any ideas how to tweak the fonts in the inbox so that you can fit more message headers in your inbox?
  16. Prosper

Prosper New Member

Checkout Button Plus by AE Software:
    http://software.smartphonethoughts.com/product.asp?id=14573

As for the fonts - no idea ...
  17. TommyTuna

TommyTuna New Member

Downloaded program and it looked promising. however, when I got into the button config, the windows media button isn't listed. So i try to add it as a new button but everytime I press it, it fires up WMPlayer and AEButton can't trap the value of the button. Any ideas?
  18. ProtoZero

ProtoZero New Member

Change "Home" page for Pocket IE

Hey folks,

I didn't see this one here, so I wanted to post it in case anyone wants to change their homepage from the default Verizon page.

You'll need a registry editor, - I use PHM Registry Editor which you can download here:

http://www.phm.lu/downloads/download.aspx?{940B734A-C437-41C7-ADED-2A4418802FD3}

Anyway, once you have it, you will need to navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/MICROSOFT/INTERNET_EXPLORER/ABOUTURLS

Modify the "home" key to include whatever landing page you want to use. Just make sure to keep the "http://" in front of the URL or it will not work.

Cheers
  19. pyrobling

pyrobling New Member

Thread is doing well I see....wanna clean it up RB?
  20. jespley

jespley New Member

I believe that HKLM typically refers to the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" path.