Official Motorola Q Software Update Thread

Discussion in 'Motorola Q' started by chris, Aug 30, 2006.

1. larsdennert

larsdennert Active Member

Makes me wonder if the flash drivers didn't get installed properly. You were in admin mode right? I agree the update is tricky...
  2. maz3322

maz3322 New Member

So after updating, which only took two attempts, the phone does seem a little more responsive. Also, if anyone has a mac and uses Missing Sync, USB hadnt work for me before, after the update it worked on the first try! BUT, my EV-DO connection gets droppped sometimes and other times it won't even connect! In places that I knew I had service before the update! I have updated the roaming and reprogrammed more than a few times, still no dice (*228 and *22899). Any one have any similiar problems or ideas?
  3. aoberoi

aoberoi New Member

I need a few clarifications.

First, is it true that is you update, you will not be able to tether the Q as a modem for your PC wihtout paying Verizon for their tethering service?

And also, i tried updating and had some problems. I keep gettin a message that tells me i have no internet connection. I read that people have had htis problem before and were able to continue by unpluggin other use devices, restarting phone and PC, and reinstalling the FIRST file in step 2 on the update site. I tried all of these as well as reinstalling the step 4 file as well. Its still a no go. Any idea where i can get help?

thanks.
  4. craigw9292

craigw9292 New Member

my experience! the update is nice, fixed some bugs I was getting.

bad things: it wiped its service information and *228 doesn't work, I had to call VZ and have it manually programmed until *228 starting working.

also: DUN was enabled by default but doesnt want to work anymore....

-c
  5. maz3322

maz3322 New Member

ok this is weird, after updating successfully the second time, my keys dont work in call anymore!

i cant type in my voicemail password, cant go to someone's extension, 1800 numbers, help lines etc. any one have any ideas! kind of urgent being i cant do this stuff..
  6. djlactose

djlactose New Member

*22899 is a much better solution then the *288
  7. maz3322

maz3322 New Member

ok fixed it myself!

for those of you who were wondering how, under settings then phone settings theres an option called DTMF, it must be set to short (or long not sure) but NOT off!

Hope this might have helped someone :thumbup:
  8. motoreagin

motoreagin Member

Jason, I just did the upgrade and am having the same problem you are. The Verizon site says that to activate a phone if you already have an account, you should dial *22899. I did that and still got a busy signal. I see you posted this a month ago; how did you fix your phone? (I'm gonna continue reading this thread now, so sorry if my answer is already here. If I don't reply to your post now I'll never find it again...)
  9. craigw9292

craigw9292 New Member

its easier to just call verizon - they gave me manual codes to enter and then 228 worked and everything is good again :) DUN is great but you need the BBA Connect feature or it no longer connects ... smart verizon...

-c
  10. larsdennert

larsdennert Active Member

Try

1. dial ##073887* and then send
    2. enter 000000 (six zero's) for the security code hit ok
    3. User Activation hit ok
    4. NAM1 HIT OK
    5. under MIN erase what is there and put in your number
    6. under MDN erase what is there and put in your number
    7. under CDMA SysID put in 21
    8. hit back , back , and then exit
    9. restart the phone
    10. dial *228 and then choose option 2 and you are all set
  11. motoreagin

motoreagin Member

Problem solved! Here's how I did it...

Sorry, my patience is low and I'm not sure how to best link to other posts. So I'm gonna tell you how I found out how to fix my phone without having to get a new one.

I did a forum search for '*228' and found a 'Tips and Tricks for update' thread in the software forum. Thank you, Q estion. His instruction manual is very comprehensive. Unfortunately, as I followed his direction, I hit ANOTHER brick wall: Entering '##074663<send>' made the phone dial the number, resulting in the all-too-familiar busy signal.

So after lots of Master Resets and batteries in-and-out and reboots, I did another forum search for 'NAM1'. Found an old thread about "hidden menus". It included lots of pound-pound-number-number-number codes to get to random secret menus. Tried some of them. Found that some worked and some didn't on my phone. Then some that had worked suddenly didn't, and some that wouldn't work suddenly did. So I tried the code mentioned above again, and it worked this time! (I'm pretty sure my actions can be best described as tricking my phone into producing a menu and not dialing the menu's code...)

After I got to the NAM menu by entering ##074663<send>, I followed the rest of the directions in the 'tips & tricks for update' menu and now my phone is golden.

Thank you, Q estion; I think you saved me from a succession of replacement phones.
  12. juliej30

juliej30 New Member

Update not completed

I just rolled out about 70 of these devices that I am now having to go back and update with the new patch (tell me I don't have a headache!)

Anyway, I received the message "Update not completed" on several of the devices. When I went back to try to update again, it tells me I already have the update -I suspect it is just a fluke or a problem with ActiveSyn 4.2??

I'm not worring about it too much since users seem to be working ok - except that they are seeing (before and now after update) that when they delete a message on the Q then sync - check their outlook - the message does not get deleted -- should I start a new thread for this one?

We are using activesync for exchange via ISA server...

Thanks! JJ
  13. biologysi

biologysi New Member

What to do - active sync prob

I installed the new update and now my active sync connection has been distroyed. Active sync signs me on as a guest, and I do not know how to activate the wizard to create a relationship. Anyone? My Q is loney and it needs a relationship - i.e. I need my schedule on the phone!
  14. juliej30

juliej30 New Member

ActiveSync

I know I've had to go and remove all known relationships to my active sync... (FILE, DELETE PARTNERSHIP) -- then plug your device back in and see if it works. Also, make sure your ActiveSync is updated to at least 4.1
  15. biologysi

biologysi New Member

Still not working

I have updated the active sync and distroyed all connections. It will not set up a new one, and I have read almost the entire help section. Argh! Any other ideas? I appreciate the help, mucho!
  16. juliej30

juliej30 New Member

Deleted Partnerships

Try this - then if this fails - call Verizon Tech Support 800-922-0204 - it may be a bad device.

1. Unplug your device from your machine - remove USB cable from your machine as well.
    2. Reboot
    3. Plug in USB
    4. Plug in Q
    5. Check device settings and make sure your USB is seeing "Motorola" device - if not, scan for hardware changes - if not - it could be your system. XP?
    6. If it does see "Motorola" and ActiveSync doesn't connect - try setting activesync settings manually on your device and see if it syncs - it should - this should tell you if it's a bad device...

Hope this helps.... I have the same issues - sometimes it will see the device and sometimes it wont. I have to play with rebooting the device also to get it hooked up sometimes...

JJ
  17. tharmsen

tharmsen New Member

If what Julie said doesn't work, uninstall Active Sync completely. With your Q disconnected, reinstall Active Sync. Don't connect your Q until prompted to do so.

Usually this gets screwed up when people try to do an upgrade of the Active Sync software with their phone still connected.
  18. juliej30

juliej30 New Member

Deleted Messages not Deleting from Outlook

Tharsman...
    Have you had any problems (heard or seen) with outlook items that are deleted from the Q not getting deleted from the exchange server?

JJ
  19. biologysi

biologysi New Member

ActiveSync Issues

Well, I think it is a problem with XP and not the device, because I have done all of the above, (thanks for the advice!) and nothing seems to help. The computer is recognizing the device, but when ActiveSync is running the setup it seems that windows takes over and recognizes the device, then activesync quits the process of setting up a relationship and automatically signs me up as a guest. I think I will reinstall the older version ~ the one that worked previously and still works on my other computer. I don't know what the issue is, but it seems to be between ActiveSync and the computer. Thanks so much for the help!
  20. quebert

quebert New Member

update didn't go well for me, Verizon store did a master reset on my phone. I thought it was working again. Now, if I dial *611 or call my voice mail, when it connects and asks for input, it doesn't respond. Like I'll dial my voice mail, and press # to enter my PIN, the phone makes no beep sound, and voice mail doesn't respond. It just tells me to record a message, and if I do, and press 1, I get nothing.
    *611 I can't get anywhere, regardless of what numbers I press, it's running threw the main menu options over and over as if I hadn't pressed anything yet.

any ideas? I'm assuming the phone is screwed and I just got unlucky when I updated. But maybe this has happened with others and there is some sort of fix.