Official Motorola Q Software Update Thread

Discussion in 'Motorola Q' started by chris, Aug 30, 2006.

1. macguy

macguy New Member

Interesting. I was told by the manager of a local corporate Verizon store that the stores WILL NOT do the update for the Q.
  2. tharmsen

tharmsen New Member

Jesh, that was an ordeal. After successfully getting the update installed my phone could call out but I couldn't access the EVDO network. I kept getting "Error - line is busy" when I tried to sync with my Exchange server or tried to access a website. After powering the phone on and off a couple of times and doing *228 3 times it finally started to work.
  3. tharmsen

tharmsen New Member

I have noticed that the keys are far more responsive with the update installed. I used to notice a lag from when I hit a key to the time it appeared on screen. This would cause me to often miss a key as I would type faster than the phone could keep up. Now it seems key entries are instantaneous.

That's a good reason to do the update!
  4. JessJenn

JessJenn New Member

Does this update come with the new .NET framework to run the GoogleMaps?
  5. djlactose

djlactose New Member

no it doesn't I had to still install it.
  6. JessJenn

JessJenn New Member

Ahh, that sucks. K, thanks!
  7. larsdennert

larsdennert Active Member

Ouchy. That's like restoring Windows95 onto WindowsXP.

Start the phone, when the phone starts to boot, hold the center action button down and then press and hold the power button. That should allow a cold boot.

For those stuck in roaming after the update:

1. dial ##073887* and then send
    2. enter 000000 (six zero's) for the security code hit ok
    3. User Activation hit ok
    4. NAM1 HIT OK
    5. under MIN erase what is there and put in your number
    6. under MDN erase what is there and put in your number
    7. under CDMA SysID put in 21
    8. hit back , back , and then exit
    9. restart the phone
    10. dial *228 and then choose option 1&2 and you are all set

Before updating,
    Turn off firewalls
    Make sure you are an admin on the machine
    Delete mail accounts on the phone
    Sync or backup data in case it can't restore
    At least have msactivesync 4.2 installed
    disable phone locks
    disable wireless sync / push
    charge phone
    install msi
    install updater
    run updater
    Make sure the phone is working *228 1 2 or above
    Sync it
    Select Add remove programs in Activesync and recheck the boxes for stuff you had installed on the phone.

Phone works much better but I don't use push-email because it sucks battery more than pop does.
  8. bugbeast

bugbeast New Member

Confirming Update

I bought my Q today and the Verizon tech (who didn't seem completely ignorant) said that their current stock of phones did have the new update. Is there a way for me to confirm this before I spend a great deal of time setting the phone up just the way I like it?

BTW, I decided to get this phone after spending quite a while reading this forum. The expertise and willingness to help made me feel like I wasn't sliding down the cutting edge of technology all on my own...thanks to all!

Matt
  9. lebox97

lebox97 New Member

bugbeast see below

go to start/settings/more/more/about
    4th line down should say: "OS 5.1.195 (Build 14960.2.4.0)"

this is the newest
    another clue is when you go to start - you should have 4 icon wide display (rather than the older 3 icon wide)
    :thumbup:

10. tj!2k6

tj!2k6 New Member

Interesting.. I may be repeating something someone else already stated, but if the official update's version is "OS 5.1.195 (Build 14960.2.4.0)," then it is exactly the same as the leaked beta.
  11. tharmsen

tharmsen New Member

Verizon is pretty good about updating their phones right away.
  12. hounddog

hounddog New Member

Phone connectivity

I completed the update which took care of most of my Issues. I have a Q that I am testing. The only problem that I have left is that it will stop syncing. When that happens the phone quits working also. It does stay powered on, this was an issue I was having before the update. I can power it off after the connectivity quits, but I can not power it back on until I remove and replace the battery. I was wondering if anyone else has this issue or it is just the Q that I have. One other thing. If it is pluged into the AC adapter it does not seem to loose connectivity. Just strange.

Thanks for your help
  13. tharmsen

tharmsen New Member

That is not normal behavior for the Q, I would say there is something wrong with it.
  14. Pellicle

Pellicle New Member

I did not restore system files just data. And the system is still WM5 not a new operating system. The same programs should work with their respective data.
    Following advice on one of the forums I tried holding the Enter and A key after a battery removal. This did bring me back to the bootloader and allow me to attempt a reload of the operating system but failed at the BP programing step showing about 20% complete on the M Software update and at the BP is programming stage on the phone. Soon after starting the Updated device software is shown on the MSU screen the message "Writing the EPL failed" appears on the phone. Again once 20% is hit the software reports failure to complete the update. Now the phone blinks the Verixon carrier screen rather than the constannt carrier screen. I can get back to the bootloader program via the A/Enter combo on battery removal or after attemped programming but with essentially the same results as above.

The IMEI Model Number and Carrier no longer show in the MSU screen.

The Center action and Power button combo seem to have no effect at all. Maybe this works after a boot but the phone sticks at the carrier screen.
  15. bmwbig6

bmwbig6 New Member

Ok, am I the only one having major problems installing the update? It never gets past 5% complete (after it displays the "Motorola Flash Mode Bootloader Version" black and white BIOS screen. Sometimes it stays at 0%. I have already done the following:

- removed mail accounts (except Outlook--don't see a way to remove that)
    - disabled wireless sync/push
    - restored home screen to default
    - disabled Bluetooth
    - disabled (PC) firewall

Do I need to delete or uninstall any 3rd party apps? Restore some of the speed hacks I made in the registry with Resco? (I figured those would be wiped out anyway). I'm about to do a master reset and if that doesn't work, I don't know what else to try.
  16. bmwbig6

bmwbig6 New Member

OK, well the master reset didn't work. W-T-F? Do I need to use some magic sauce? Never gets past 4%. Yes I am using ActiveSync 4.2. And yes I'm on a full charge (tried both extended and standard batteries). Any other ideas? I'm willing to try anything since my phone is pretty-much a paperweight right now since the reset.
  17. bmwbig6

bmwbig6 New Member

Suspecting a USB conflict problem, I attempted the update from another computer and it worked like a charm on the first try. Didn't feel like disconnecting all of my USB peripherals to troubleshoot this on my primary computer. Still disappointed in how flaky this update was.
  18. chris

chris Administrator Staff Member

I think it is...difference in the official release being the installer itself.Huh?
  19. lo-tek

lo-tek New Member

FWIW I'll agree with this. I had problems updating my Q and moved the USB cable from a hub to a port on the computer and that got me updated.
  20. freemans

freemans New Member

ERROR-Update has not been completed

I cant get past this point, I have tried removing all usb devices, taking out the battery from the Q, restarting my computer :wacko:

What else can I try??