Official Motorola Q Software Update Thread

Discussion in 'Motorola Q' started by chris, Aug 30, 2006.

1. scottjb

scottjb New Member

This information is all over the net...anyway, it's got updates for direct push with an Exchange server. Other updates include PIE enhancements (frames support, fast scrolling, page up/page down keys), and overall better performance.
    On the down side, my device has worse battery life (as if it wasn't bad enough already).
  2. jburnitz1099

jburnitz1099 New Member

My Phone Won't Work!!!!

I followed the update to the t. and it said it was successful, and now I can't dial *228, or make any other phone calls, SOMEONE PLEASE HELP.
  3. cbenn126

cbenn126 New Member

Is the direct push an automatic feature or do I need to do anything to activate it?
  4. jason4520

jason4520 New Member

I have the same problem. When my Q rebooted after the update it came back with "roaming service" and when i dial *228 i get busy.
  5. killabee

killabee New Member

reinstall or flash the device

hi all,

I have a bad feeling that my device didn't completely update itself. My PC kept rebooting along with my device. After the first reboot I was able to restart the update process. At the second reboot when the device was updated, Q rebooted and my PC rebooted as well. I have a feeling there has to be more to it but since my PC rebooted I don't know what is after, perhaps "your device updated successfully"? Neither have I seen any of the "found new hardware wizard" messages as described in the PDF file. When I tried to restart the update, the update says the software is current and doesn't let me to advance. Is there more to it? My Q works fine now, I get minor glitches but I don't know whether its because my update is incomplete or that wasn't part of the fix. Please advise, and if my update is not complete, anyone knows how to flash the Q so I could reinstall the update? I noticed that when I install 3rd party software, it doesn't give me a message that software was installed successfully, I have to kill the process in task messenger and turns out that software works. Who knows?

Thank you.
  6. lebox97

lebox97 New Member

did mine last night... phone was way quicker and nicer with everything ... BUT would not connect tointernet (busy signal).

store couldnt figure out why and had me call tech support ... tech said they were seeing all kinds of probs and to exchange phone (was a week old).
    also told me to wait a few days before trying again until after bugs/knowledge base gets worked on.
    and, why would a manufacturer update void manufacturer warranty???
  7. estring

estring New Member

I had the same problem. I called Tech support they couldnt fix it, so they told me to go get a new one, which I need, hassle free. I think I''ll wait awhile before I upgrade again,
  8. dtJon

dtJon New Member

Server software for push?

What isn't clear for me is whether or not there is special server software for push to work. My company does not support using Microsoft phones (Treos only) and as a result any solution I use has to be able to work without their involvment.

With my Blackberry I could go to T-Mobiles website, point my account to our Outlook Web Access site and all of a sudden I'm getting my email. It wasn't technically push, but it worked well and was easy. My solution with the Q is to run the wirelss sync software on a machine that's always on the network. It works pretty well, but it's not as easy, reliable or elegant as Blackberry's solution. Also, I can't get my GMail on this phone.

Ironic that RIM does a better job of integrating with Exchange than Microsoft, isn't it?
  9. bpatt

bpatt New Member

Yes we're thrilled. :happy:
  10. MarcoV

MarcoV New Member

I'm waiting to perform the "Official" update. A few people are having problems and Verizon Techs are telling them to return the phones!:blink:
  11. Snarf

Snarf New Member

update nuumber for smart phones

the update number for smart phones isn't *228 its * 22899 thats what the verizon person told me when I first boghtthe phone after it took her an hour to connect it cause it was like day 3 of the Q. I just updated the phone reinstalled all my apps and synced mycontact list with the offcial update with no problems except a minor driver upgrade from microsoft and *22899 worked in 30 seconds.

hope this helps those of U that are haveing probs updateing the software
  12. plucas

plucas New Member

I have the Sprite Backup software on my Q. Can I do a backup on the Q with this program and then do the update and after installing the update do a restore on the Q with restore? I would put the backup file on a SD card. Would this work?

plucas
  13. bruindodger

bruindodger New Member

How To Get Your Phone Working Again

HOW TO GET YOUR PHONE WORKING AGAIN AFTER UPDATING THROUGH MOTOROLA:

I read that some people's phones are no longer working after doing the update through the Motorola website. I did this last night and my phone was unable to make calls/connect to the net after the update (which screwed me because I promote at a nightclub and I lost all of my business because no one was able to reach me). What you do is call *228 and do another update directly from Verizon (select option 1). This will get your phone to function normally again. YOU DO NOT NEED TO REPLACE YOUR PHONE.

I hope this helps!
  14. lebox97

lebox97 New Member

i did *228 1/2 several times - still couldn't connect

am now on my 3rd phone and it came with update pre-loaded - so far so good. ;)
  15. mc3

mc3 New Member

I was able to use ActiveSync to connect to my company's Outlook Web Server. Email was fast and it also synched my calendar and contacts. It worked ok, but I did switch to GoodLink after about 2 weeks - better graphics and more functionality. GoodLink is more like your Outlook desktop and ActiveSync is more like Outlook webmail. Your company has to have a Goodlink server though and the Lifetime Goodlink client for your phone is $99.
  16. mc3

mc3 New Member

FYI when they say this upgrade deletes "all user content" they do mean "ALL", including any applications and programs you have installed (like GoodLink, Streets and Trips, ect). Imagine a Windows re-install - same thing only it takes less time. Everything on your SD card is left untouched, however.
  17. macguy

macguy New Member

Crud !

The update won't install in Vista even when ran in compatibility mode :thumbdown and the local corporate Verizon store say's they can't do the upgrade for me. Dang nabit.

Note: Before you ask I'm using Vista beta 2 on an Intel Duo Dore iMac and I don't have a Windows machine.
  18. Pellicle

Pellicle New Member

Thin as a Brick

Well I thought all went well but now I have a thin brick for a paperweight. I ran thru the update and all seemed well. Phone restarted and was operating. Reinstalled programs - OK. I did and activesync setting up a new partnership - OK. Then I did a restore from sprite for data and after restarting phone it hangs at the Verizon carrier screen. Removed battery and replaced. Same thing .... Dead. Dead. Dead. And once again Dead.
    :wacko:<_<
  19. lebox97

lebox97 New Member

after going through 3 phones in 3 days - my suggestion is wait till your local verizon store get's the update and then let them deal with the install and subsequent potential exchange to a new phone. Wink

I was lucky - I have two stores within 6-8 min of my house. (my 3rd phone had the update pre-installed... and phone/menus are way faster than previous.)
  20. mc3

mc3 New Member

I upgraded the software yesterday and my Q went into brick mode. Tried re-programming multiple times yesterday and all I got was the fast busy signal and the "programming failed" message on my Q. Was about to call Verizon this morning and thought I'd try programming again (*22899<send>). To my surprise, it worked this time! :thumbup:

Maybe Verizon was having network problems yesterday.

I've read other forums who said that the Verizon reps were able to help them with their NAM and SID programming when *228 didn't work.

My advice - don't give up, there's nothing wrong with your Q! :biggrin: