Official Motorola Q Software Update Thread

Discussion in 'Motorola Q' started by chris, Aug 30, 2006.

1. alongiron

alongiron New Member

You are missing 90% of the phone if you are not using Outlook. I have my phone linked up with my companies exchange server. I get my emails on my phone before they hit my laptop. All of your contacts, calander info is kept here as well so everything is always in sync! Yes i lost all my contact info as well but when I did an active sync with outlook after the up-date every contact and appointment was wireless synced back to my phone. Took maybe 3 minutes. So Yes Yes setup outlook even is it is not wireless!
  2. alongiron

alongiron New Member

This was not a Verizon up-date in was from Motorola!
  3. alongiron

alongiron New Member

If you purchased the phone at anytime before the up-date was released it is best to do the update. If you still have questions call Motorola support at 1-800-657-7576 or visit the website at www.hellomoto.com
  4. jpmihalk

jpmihalk New Member

Good point about the download and install. However, the web site for the update is all Motorola, not Verizon.
  5. greidel

greidel New Member

I stand corrected. I guess writing proper instructions is a lost art worldwide.Wink
  6. jpmihalk

jpmihalk New Member

LOL! :) Agreed!
  7. Stryker

Stryker New Member

Q update

Well, I updated last night. The only problem I had was active sync trying to sync while updater was trying to work. It froze so had to remove battery and retry. This time I closed active sync as soon as it popped up and voila, no problems. The one major gripe I have is that I was not informed that to keep my contacts and internet favorites I had to have Outlook installed........Grrrrrr. Thats going to cost me several hours of manually entering stuff back in....Sigh....:( Anyway, aside from that it seems the Q loads up faster. I got rid of that annoying startup sound and rearranged my shortcuts again. Also now I use the Windows Simple home screen so I can enjoy the background wallpaper without alot of clutter. But now where it says Home service it has a color strip all the way across the screen cutting the top 1/5 of the screen (used to be clear so you just saw the letters). If anyone knows how to change this I'd appreciate it. TCPMP appears to run more briskly now. I'm wondering if applying the speed hack to this update will help or not. I guess in the long run this will be worth the update.Huh?
  8. MotoHelp

MotoHelp New Member

Ouch!

We will have new, better instructions up soon. Thanks for pointing this out.
  9. regapuz

regapuz New Member

Q Update

In the download instructions it states that everything on your Q should be backed up. I assume when I use ActiveSync that all my files/pics end up on my computer. My only problem is I can't locate those files. Any thoughts
  10. Stryker

Stryker New Member

Looking for your "backed up files"

They're Gone:( Unless you specifically saved them manually. Or if you had sync'ed with outlook you can get your contacts/calendar stuff................Basically update makes your phone just like if you were to have bought it new. Sigh..
  11. jpmihalk

jpmihalk New Member

Great! Thanks!!!
  12. greidel

greidel New Member

Updating report

Wow, great! Since you're reading this, 2 other things: I was using XP, but I ever saw the "Found New Hardware Wizard". And shortly after launching the update, I got a little dialog box that said I would see an Activesync error which I should cancel; I never got that error. That might be related to the fact that I don't use an ActiveSync profile.

My Motorola Flash update failed once. The computer seemed to assume that I had unplugged the phone. I did not. So when the instructions told me to do a couple things, then plug the phone back in, I was confused. A Microsoft help screen wanted to help me uninstall hardware... I ignored that. I unplugged the phone, had to remove the battery to reboot it, plugged it back in, and the setup continued fine.

About my set up: Win XP SP2, USB 1, wireless DSL.

OH! And move that bit about fully charging the phone to step 1, since that takes the longest. I could be charging while I'm reading the instructions.
  13. jpmihalk

jpmihalk New Member

What the instructions mean is that you should have saved a copy of those files to your PC or created a "backup" using another software package like Sprite Backup.

Your assumption is incorrect. The only files that may get transferred are those in any folders you are synching with ActiveSync.

Also, as part of the update process, the updater WILL save settings such as Today screen, backgrounds, and pictures on the Q itself (not on the miniSD card) and replace them at the end of the process. If your device does not come back to the same Today screen, it is an incomplete update and is probably too late to complete it.
  14. dqman

dqman New Member

Same problem

am having identical problem as well

15. MotoHelp

MotoHelp New Member

This warning is usually seen when you try to jump to step 4 on the download site without going through 1, 2 and 3. You need the software package from step 2, first. If you have downloaded that, you need to launch and install it before you can run step 4.
  16. regapuz

regapuz New Member

Back up data

So if I do not have any files on the Q other than all of the normal items that get sync'ed I should not have to worry about doing a backup of any kind.
  17. jpmihalk

jpmihalk New Member

Correct.

However, any photos taken or voice notes will need to be copied to a PC first to be saved. Most people don't think about them until later.
  18. tj!2k6

tj!2k6 New Member

^ what he said.. I lost some "evidence" because I forgot about photos.
  19. BiggaBear

BiggaBear New Member

20. Moby

Moby New Member

Would love to hear what you all feel about "will let your Q as a modem for a PC if you use Windows XP". Is this the same as "tethering". Very interested to hear what the consensus is on this.

What is DUN?