Official Motorola Q Software Update Thread

Discussion in 'Motorola Q' started by chris, Aug 30, 2006.

1. chris

chris Administrator Staff Member

Official Motorola Q Software Update Thread

The first official release of the software update for the Motorola Q has been released. Although we have a rather long previous thread on the software update, please use this thread for discussions related to the official release.
  2. herskovitz

herskovitz New Member

I just got my Q 2 days ago, it came with this software:

Software Version:

OS 5.1.195 (Build 14960.2.4.0)

Q2-BP_C_06.07.03PMP_BSP_C_02.07.38-11P_HW_P2.1

Do I need to upgrade?

Thanks,
    Brian
  3. Phanatik

Phanatik New Member

Chris I am trying to download the upgrade but it is telling me that there is no internet connection available but i know that there is b/c i am onm it right now. any ideas??
  4. tj!2k6

tj!2k6 New Member

According to the upgrade document (http://direct.motorola.com/hellomoto/motosupport/source/include/MSU_Guidelines_Instructions.pdf)

5. herskovitz

herskovitz New Member

Thanks for the reference, but that wasn't really my question.

To clarify; is the new version the same as the version numbers that came on my new Q?

My Q is version:
    Software Version:

OS 5.1.195 (Build 14960.2.4.0)

Q2-BP_C_06.07.03PMP_BSP_C_02.07.38-11P_HW_P2.1

What I would like to know is if this is the same version number as someone who has upgraded?

Thanks!
    Brian
  6. raksparky

raksparky New Member

7. weiqj

weiqj New Member

Error:
    There is no internet connection. Please ensure there is a live internet connection.
    What the hell?!!!
    Can anybody help me?
  8. cbenn126

cbenn126 New Member

I went through the process and all was well until I got to the Motorola Flash Interface. I got an Error Message 10. My Q stayed in Flash Mode until I took the battery out.
  9. gjackson78

gjackson78 New Member

Having problems with official update

After it finds my phone attached I get this:

"ERROR-Update has not been completed."

Then just says to turn the phone off and back on and reconnect and it will resume...nothing ever happens.

anyone else getting this?

Gary
  10. jpmihalk

jpmihalk New Member

It is the same version as my upgraded Q.
  11. jpmihalk

jpmihalk New Member

Read the instructions carefully. You need to download and install the larger .msi file before the installer will run. The installer tries to download the file from an internet connection but it doesn't work... if the .MSI file is installed, the Motorola installer finds it and doesn't need to download it.
  12. herskovitz

herskovitz New Member

Thanks jpmihalk, you answer is much appreciated!
  13. weiqj

weiqj New Member

Successfully updated.
    Some notes:
    1. "no internet connection error"; It's some problem with Motorola Website. Wait fro a while and restart the software update.
    2. It failed the after the usb driver (for connunicating to the phone) is installed. I had to remove the battery, restart the phone, restart the computer, detach all other usb devices and try again. The second time it's successful.
    3. Improvement. Looks like the bluetooth DUN is enabled by default. Media Player is improved. The old version only looks the main memory everytime it's started. The new version also looks for the storage card and shows the library screen when started. it behaves more like an iPod now.
  14. swagner

swagner New Member

Speed in TCPMP seems much improved. I do not know if it is handling memory better or what. Just an observation.
  15. pcassano

pcassano New Member

Is the update worth the risk that I am hearing about. Lots of threads on qusers website and even worries on this site???? Should I risk the problems for the advantage of the update???

Helps
  16. weiqj

weiqj New Member

In my opinion, not worth it at all!
    Please refer to my post.
  17. chiplay_atl

chiplay_atl New Member

Phone numbers and calendar deleted?

Hey everyone - quick question... If the updates deletes all user settings, does this include phone numbers, calendar events and email? And if so - will Active Sync reload all of those things from outlook after the update?

Also, I was currently using PDAnet to teather my phone - will the update prevent that from working? Does DUN really work now - or is that a scam?

Any opinions on if I should update or not?

Thanks!
  18. greidel

greidel New Member

Lost contacts

Does "personal information" include contacts? Apparently yes. I did the update last night and I lost all my phone numbers. I don't use Outlook, Active Sync, or Wireless Sync. To me, it's just a phone that gets internet and is an MP3 player... so I didn't expect my phone update to erase my contacts. I know it said all personal information, but I had assumed that contacts were such a primary function, that if it were going to erase them it would explicitly say "YOU WILL LOSE ALL OF YOUR CONTACTS AND PHONE NUMBERS". I'm a little pissed.

How could I have backed them up before the update? Is there any way short of setting up Outlook?
  19. greidel

greidel New Member

It's not just a matter of reading the instructions carefully, they are incomplete. Note that they say to download the first file, but they never say to launch it. The second file they say to "Download and Launch".

You should download, launch and install the first file before running the second.

Seriously, who writes for Verizon? Their customer service isn't bad (after the wait), but their written materials are often incomplete, out of order, or misleading.
  20. alongiron

alongiron New Member

Moto Q update

I downloaded the up-date and read the instructions closely and it worked just fine! The new push email worked within seconds! amazing! That is really what i was looking for and it makes all the difference in the world. Motorola Q got it right this time! The only thing left to do is to work on "pocket office"