Office Mobile for the Q

Discussion in 'Windows Phone Software' started by Jeff, Jul 25, 2006.

1. Jeff

Jeff New Member

Office Mobile for the Q

OK, So I got my Q last night. I went to a Verizon store and the guy told me that the Q does not come with Office Mobile, that it can only view Office files (Excel, Word, and Powerpoint). He told me that I would be able to purchase Office Mobile if I wanted to, but that it just wasn't included.

I figured thats fine, I'm probably not going to be doing a lot of editing on the Q, just the occasional bit of viewing, but I decided to check and see how much it would cost anyway. I've looked all over the place and I can't find any way to purchase Office Mobile. It looks like it is just supposed to be included with phones and not purchased separately.

Can anyone help me out? Was the Verizon guy a complete moron?

-J
  2. dodgerdann

dodgerdann New Member

i googled 'office mobile' and found info at the microsoft site. .... so at least we know now that it does exist.....but thats as far as i got. sorry, im browsing from my Q :)
  3. Jeff

Jeff New Member

Yea, I found that the software exists, but I can't find anywhere to purchase it. I can only find info about it being preinstalled on Phones, and how you should buy a phone that has it . . . . . . . .

I'd swear that a week ago when I was doing my research, that I had a Verizon guy show me his personal Q that actually had Powerpoint on it, and he said 'it doesn't come with this but you can get it" I'd rather not drive the hour from my house to the store where that guy was though.

Anyone else?

-J
  4. DestinationQ

DestinationQ New Member

Office Mobile for smartphones doesn't come out until Q4 of this year, you can only view files atm with the exception of excel because of the 3rd party software PTab which allows you to edit/create excel spreadsheets.
  5. Jeff

Jeff New Member

Where have you seen release information for it coming out in Q4? I have no problem waiting for that, I just haven't been able to find that announcement anywhere . . . . .

I'll pass on PTab for the moment, I dont see me needing to do much more than view at the moment, but I just want to know what my options are if I ever find myself needing to edit on the fly

- J
  6. SDMahan

SDMahan New Member

DestinationQ is a Motorola Rep. Microsoft employees have also confirmed the 4Q06 release date.
  7. CoachJim

CoachJim New Member

PowerPoint Presentation

This may be a bit out there, but will there be a day when I can load my 447KB PP presentation on my Q and use it with my projector instead of lugging around my notebook? Any experience or knowledge out there?
  8. Gabriel

Gabriel New Member

Office Mobile, Jan 9, 2007. Where I can get it?

Were you able to get the Office Mobile? Where?. How much. I urgently need it.
    Thanks.
  9. VTDr0p0ut

VTDr0p0ut New Member

Why not just use Documents2Go?
  10. alanab

alanab New Member

11. chris

chris Administrator Staff Member

Check out this story on Documents To Go. A free preview is available. I've used this app on the Treo and it's great. Nice to have it on the Q.

-Chris
  12. alanab

alanab New Member

is the preview fully functional, just no support?
  13. swagner

swagner New Member

Fully functional.. Expires on 3/15. I can edit Word, Excel, and Powerpoint. Powerpoint and excel do not display some of the more advanced features. Nice so far.
  14. alanab

alanab New Member

Thanks much - I have installed and will take a look.
  15. tilley

tilley New Member

Documents_to_go: I just install for trying to read a pdf file (Moto Q user's guide). Conclusion: very very slow to display the pages with an annoying blue bar progress before each page change. The native pdf reader in the Q is far faster than documentstogo soft. I de-installed it and wait for the next version. Hope that will be faster next time.
    - Just a quick question: Can I de-active the pdf reader of documentstogo and leave this job for the native reader. And keep the others functionnalities (word, excel etc...editing)?
  16. ChadRioux

ChadRioux New Member

This is a nice app. I missed being able to do this when I stopped using my tungsten E2. Nice work to those folks.
  17. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Office Mobile

As far as I know Word Mobile and Excel Mobile (and PowerPoint Mobile) -- what some people call Office Mobile -- are only available in Windows Mobile Pocket PC. The Q uses Windows Mobile Smartphone, which doesn't include Office Mobile.

That may change when Crossbow (WM 5.5 or WM 6.0 depending on how you view it) comes out. It's supposed to have Word Mobile and Excel Mobile at least. Devices using Crossbow should become available this year, but I don't know if there will be an upgrade for the Q.

If you need something now, you can buy the Ptab spreadsheet software. You can also wait until Documents To Go brings Word, Excel, PowerPoint and more to the Q -- hopefully before Crossbow comes out. Maybe Documents To Go is what DestinationQ was talking about.

If Office Mobile means something else to you, let us know.

Steve
  18. Gabriel

Gabriel New Member

Motorola Sells The Moto Q Here With The Promess To Have Office Mobile

19. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Fraud?

Link me to a site where Motorola said the Q has Office Mobile. If you can't provide a link or documentation, you'll be hard-pressed to prove fraud.

At one time, Verizon Wireless' Q page said that you could edit Word and Excel documents, but it now says:

Steve
  20. amurpher

amurpher New Member

Windows Mobile announced that they were trying to phase out the term "ppc" but that was over a year ago, I noticed that they just receltly started to mark out the difference between a ppc and a smartphone on their website. If the phone has a touch screen, it's considered a ppc, if not it's a smartphone.
    I have office mobile on my axim but that's not a phone. I wish I could copy it onto my Q... But when I edit files on my ppc, sometimes it saves unreadable files (for the pc). And if you use powerpoint, none of your notes will be viewable to you during a presentation.