Office Apps

Discussion in 'Motorola Q' started by MattB, May 11, 2007.

1. MattB

MattB New Member

Office Apps

Take a look at this. Someone hacked the Microsoft Office Apps that come with WM6 and made it work with WM5. I just downloaded and installed it and it works perfect. Just look at the posts on the bottom of this story:

--LINK REMOVED--
  2. larsdennert

larsdennert Active Member

Very sweet! DocsToGo will still have business because it is a more complete package.
  3. Sheri

Sheri New Member

Yes, there's a thread that was started last week about this in the Software forum. Probably for legal reasons, that same thread was closed & the link removed.
  4. larsdennert

Ah, ok. Wow, those horrible people grafting software from one version of windows and making it run on a totally different and outdated version! WM6 is a totally new version. How could anything from that run on WM5? After all, Microsoft wouldn't release the same OS with minor window dressing and call it a new version would they? Tell me they wouldn't deceive us like that. :D
  5. Sheri

Sheri New Member

LOL Larsdennet..... I guess it was just a matter of time. After all, if the desktop version could be hacked.....
  6. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

APIs

What deception? Most (if not all) versions of WM add new APIs, but programs written using only APIs in previous releases can run on older platforms. It's also what allows programs written for previous versions of WM to run on newer versions.

That's a good thing, and hardly deceptive. The only issue is whether Microsoft should sell Office Mobile separately, but they probably won't because it gives people one less reason to upgrade to WM 6.

Steve
  7. ugp

ugp New Member

I have tested the Office Application and it works completely fine. Now that I have this I really could care less about having WM6. That was the only thing I really would have wanted. The one thing I missed about the PPC version of WM5. Why they left it out to begin with doesn't make much sense at all.
  8. larsdennert

You have illustrated my point perfectly. :laugh2: WM6 is not a major revision on WM5. It is simply taking essentially the same version of the OS and adding Office.

It is the subversion of version numbers that Microsoft started with Windows 95, and everyone is following suite. Win95 was Windows 4.0. Win98 and ME were V4.x. Not major rewrites as the name might imply.

In parallel with Win3.11 was Windows NT V3 which became NT 3.51, then Win2000 (V4), XP (V5) which was actually a pretty big rewrite on Win2000 to get Multi-User done properly, Now Vista 64bit (V6?) If MS stuck with version numbers in their marketing, they'd be sunk. Just look at the version numbers of the windows components. You'll get stuff like V5.1.260.2180 because there are so many revisions. MS has been pretty honest in their OS releases until now. At least there wasn't a Win96, 97, 99 for the heck of it. They saw that too and hence XP and Vista that aren't date driven.

Many companies release a new version of software every year but it's the same program underneath. Intuit comes to mind. It's marketing to sell more product.

I'm ranting now...
  9. KOOLWATER

KOOLWATER New Member

I COMPLETELY agree with you. Many companies release the same program year after year. They just make some graphic changes, add 1 new feature that they purposely left off the 1st version, put it in new packaging and wham! a brand new "updated" program. Its a bunch of crap!
  10. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

WM 6 Updates

You're forgetting about the other big thing in WM 6 -- a much-improved E-mail client. Microsoft has added HTML E-mail, font resizing and mailbox "filtering" (not filtering to a folder, but typing will filter E-mails to those with those characters). I've seen requests for at least the first two. And remember that one of the reasons business people want the Q is for E-mail, so that's a pretty big change.

Another thing that could be big is Windows Update. If that allows people to get bug fixes to the OS without having to get a new ROM, that would be great. If it allows upgrading to new OS versions in the future, that would be awesome.

Plus, there's Windows Live and Voice Command, which are nice to have. If you read our WM 6 Standard review at pocketnow, Microsoft claims some 10,000 changes were made (although I wonder how they count those).

As for minimal updates, people said the same thing about WM 2003 SE, but were off-base, too, I think. I won't go into the details, but you can read the WM 2003 SE editorial I wrote about that. (Although, at least on the Pocket PC, WM 2003 SE sounded like a bigger update to WM 2003 than WM 6 is to WM 5.)

The point is, if you don't want what WM 6 offers, that's fine. But why rain on the parade of those who do want it? Just because you don't find a compelling reason to get it doesn't invalidate somebody else's reason to get it. So can we stop harping on WM 6 and focus on the subject of this thread -- the Office Mobile applications?

Steve
  11. nappyreddz

nappyreddz New Member

does anyone know where i can get this app
  12. larsdennert

Yea the email sounds great and I agree that the newest version is undoubtedly better. I'm just not sure that the changes deserve a full version upgrade. MS has been really proactive in listening to people's requests for WM though. Honestly I never thought we'd see Pocket Office on the smartphone. Bravo to them for willing to expand the platform. It has come a long way since WM2002.
  13. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Getting Office Mobile

Yes.

Oh, you probably want more, don't you? Well, that's too bad, because links to what is essentially pirated software tend to get deleted. If you can't find Office Mobile using Google, you'll have to do without. :wink:

Steve
  14. MattB

MattB New Member

If you look at the link I posted to the Engadget story, read the posts at the bottom. The second link in post #3 is the .cab file (and it still works, i just tried it).
  15. nappyreddz

nappyreddz New Member

i dont understand your message what engadget link
  16. nappyreddz

nappyreddz New Member

ok i found it, good looking out
  17. WadeHVT

WadeHVT New Member

downloaded and works fine!

i downloaded this "potentionally pirated software" whoopdee do. all the music most people listen to is downloaded off a music torrent site like bearshare and limewire.

anyways, i downloaded the .cab with the Office in it and it works great, you can open files through memory card in word, then if you click the menu button you can go into an edit mode, which if you smart you can just save a blank doc to your card and waala, you have a NEW DOCUMENT to start with.

i havent played around with the powerpoint or the excel yet but as of right now, this is all i need for my studies. something that will help open up files, help me edit them, and all by not having to carry around my laptop.

can i say free and amazing?

it worksss great!
    thanks for the post
  18. chi

chi New Member

sorry for the dumb question but i'm new to the Q and got it yesterday. i am technical suavy though. i downloaded the CAB file to my laptop. but how do i install it on my Q? do i install from the CAB or do I have to uncompress it first? and do i need to put it on my mini SD card or can i link to my hard drive via USB?
  19. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Accusations

Maybe in Wade's world, but most of the music I listen to is ripped from the CD. Don't make such broad claims about people.

Steve
  20. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

CAB Files

To install software from a CAB file, just copy it to your Q and run the CAB file. That's how most over-the-air downloads work. DO NOT unpack the file yourself.

Steve