OEM car charger vs. much less expensive one

Discussion in 'Motorola Q Accessories' started by bfar03, Jun 27, 2007.

1. bfar03

bfar03 New Member

OEM car charger vs. much less expensive one

Is there an advantage to the OEM Motorola car charger vs. just going ahead with a much less expensive one...

seems like the OEM one is overpriced
  2. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

there might, but i bought a generic one when i got my Razr and i still use it (now with the Q). no problems..
  3. drgracr

drgracr New Member

4. Lucky13MN

Lucky13MN New Member

90% of my chargers have been non-OEM and for the most part worked flawlessly.

That said, my latest charger was a retractable one (loved that part of it) and it worked great for about a year and died. It's replacement is an OEM charger off of eBay for $9.99 shipped, in fact I got two of them... one for my wife and one for myself.
  5. qnoob

qnoob New Member

my car charger is only used as a "just in case" measure so it doesn't see much use . . . therefore, it was wiser for me to spring for the cheapo $2.99 one on ebay.
  6. SteveBrady

SteveBrady New Member

I have a 9.99 power inverter in each of my vehichles. You can plug any home charger into it. I even charge my 18 volt DeWalt cordless batteries with it...
  7. pinny

pinny New Member

I am looking for an inexpensive inverter. All I have been able to find is 150w plug in inverter for 39.99.
    Where did you get on for 9.99?
  8. SteveBrady

SteveBrady New Member

I got mine from Walmart.. Sams Club had them 2 for 19.99 a couple of weeks ago. The one I got I think was on sale, normally I think they are about 15 bucks...
  9. Q-who

Q-who New Member

I was told by the dealer that the chargers that are not OEM can over charge and wreck the phone, I don't know it thats true or not to take a chance, I do think the OEM ones are nuts in price, Also the Q car charger is universal for Blackberries.
  10. CaseyChaos

CaseyChaos New Member

What would be wrong with the cigarette outlet adapters that have the usb port on them? I picked one up at WalMart for my Ipod and I don't see any reason why it wouldn't keep the phone charged.
  11. Given2Fly

Given2Fly New Member

I've gone through 2 verizon chargers, they only lasted about a week each, I was very upset, I returned them both, went to walmart and got a generic that's been working great since I got it a couple of months ago
  12. JCosper

JCosper New Member

I dont use the car charger much, its hooked up to my home or work PC the largest part of the time. But, I have a usb charger for my car GPS and have used that. I think a usb charger is.. a usb charger.
  13. jonsdad

jonsdad New Member

The car chargers with USB cables are NOT universal. I got one with my GPS system that worked great with my Treo, but it does not work with my new Q.
  14. URRSwede

URRSwede New Member

I have the OEM charger attached to my cradle and the Wal-Mart one on the counter downstairs...and OEM car charger in my truck and a Wal-mart one in the wife's car. So far no problems at all. I think it is all hype smoke and mirrors.

Swede
  15. Blown383

Blown383 New Member

I've been looking for a dual port USB charger for the car so that I can charge my phone and and iPod at the same time. Much like this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-Port-CAR-CHAR...QcategoryZ86531QQtcZphotoQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I also have a VR-3 FM transmitter that had a USB port on it also that used to charge my Ipod however it took a crap lately and I have no clue whats going on.

Anyone have experience with this?

-B
  16. K3MPO

K3MPO New Member

I use a Power on Board Vehicle Pocket Power converter (100 Watt).
    it plugs into my lighter and I plug my house charger to that. WORKS great and we got them on clearance for $15 for 2!