no wi-fi

Discussion in 'Samsung Saga' started by gk40, May 29, 2009.

1. gk40

gk40 New Member

no wi-fi

i'm in mexico and my hotel has free wi-fi in the lobby my saga shows the spot availible but won't connect no problem with my netbook and the phone worked earlier in the week where can i look in my settings to fix this help
  2. pat_the_cat

pat_the_cat New Member

check:

Settings--->Connections---->Wi-Fi

There in the drop down box make sure that you have it set to "All Available"

Other than that I am not sure.

HTH

Pat
  3. larsdennert

larsdennert Active Member

Make sure the ip setting in the adapter is set to "Obtain automatically"

When you say "won't connect". You realize that the phone doesn't connect automatically unless you have a profile for that AP. If you do have a profile, try deleting it and rediscovering the AP.

You might want to try something like wifimonster to aid in connecting to APs too.

Actually the above post from pat the cat is incorrect. You should set it to Access Points Only. If you have an Ad Hoc network configured so you can connect to a laptop it will choose that one first and not the AP. This will give you more trouble instead of less.

Change one setting at a time and exit out of the screens. Some of the settings don't stick properly. There is a bug in the wifi settings.
  4. tatootie

tatootie New Member

For what its worth - most hotels you need to actually log in with your browser, and then you usually get redirected to the hotel's webpage where you sometimes have to "agree" to their terms. So maybe your wifi is working, but you have not tried your browser?
  5. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

That's a good point. And in addition to "agreeing" to their terms, you sometimes have to enter a username and password that may appear in a pop-up. So you need a browser that supports it: Iris, Opera, or Skyfire comes to mind.
  6. larsdennert

Actually, browsers that rely on proxy help like Skyfire, Opera Mini and probably the new mobile will not be able to reach their rendering proxies on the internet until the TOS is agreed to. So you can use those browsers to read it. You need to use pie.
  7. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

Skyfire does not rely on a proxy and I was refering to Opera 8.65; not mini.
  8. larsdennert

Skyfire absolutely relies on an outside render farm. If they shut down their servers you have nothing.

I believe Opera Mobile 9x also relies on a proxy server but I haven't checked by it's speed I suspect it does.
  9. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

But what happens if a the username and password appears in a pop-up? PIE doesn't support pop-ups.
  10. larsdennert

Depends on the implementation of the site. Standard OS password prompts seem to work ok and form based sites are usually fine too depending on how the cgi is done. If it's a flash or java prompt they'd be screwed. You make a good point about browser versions. A new version could cause someone headache and they'd never know why.