No signal all of a sudden?

Discussion in 'Sprint' started by freki, Oct 4, 2008.

1. freki

freki New Member

No signal all of a sudden?

Hey all,
    I've my Q9c with Sprint for a little over a week now. I plugged it in last night to charge and when I woke up it was off and I couldn't get it to turn on. I took the battery out, put it back in. Nothing. Did it again a few times and finally it turned on. Now, in an area where I previously had decent coverage, I switch between low service and roaming constantly and I can't make/receive calls, access the internet, or send/receive text messages. I've been in the que for "advanced technical support" for almost 30 minutes now (calling the business line even). Does anyone know what the culprit could be?
  2. mike250rs

mike250rs New Member

try updating your vision profile
  3. freki

freki New Member

I just got off the phone with customer service (which was actually well worth the wait!), and he suggested taking it into my Sprint repair store. He thinks that since my phone shut off and now gets warm really easily that maybe it's the phone.

I did try updating my vision profile, but all the phone did was say "Error: the operation failed" over and over. The next step is either a master reset or a new phone according to him :S
  4. mike250rs

mike250rs New Member

if you got insurance why not? my vision updates 1/20 times.

only a week out the box...swap it
  5. freki

freki New Member

Okay, maybe this is turning into a nightmare. I took it into my Sprint retail store here, because there is not repair shop for about 150 miles from me, and they tried a master reset. I took it home and got it to do the vision update with *2, but there's been no change in my signal strength (like I can't make/receive calls or do anything data-related). Also my battery will not stay charged, I'm thinking maybe because it's always trying to find a signal.

So I called customer support back today, who transferred me to the 30-day exchange dept. They told me that since my account is under a "new" business account, I have to pay $400 up front in order to exchange my phone, and that it would take 2-3 billing cycles for their warehouse to receive the phone and credit my credit card back. Now I also have the insurance for this phone, which means I shouldn't have to pay more than $50 even if I threw it off a cliff, am I not correct? I'm confused, because the guy on the phone Saturday said I should be able to get a new or refurbed one shipped out to me with no problems and no cost....?
  6. sherri

sherri Active Member

Did you buy the phone on-line or at the Sprint store? If you bought it at the store, you should walk in w/ receipt and demand a new phone! Explain the situation. Most companies have a 30 day return/swap policy for the phone.

Yes, if you lost the phone, flushed the phone, threw the phone at the Sprint representative inadvertently breaking the phone or used the phone as skeet shooting targets, insurance will cover it with a $50.00 deductible. But why should you have to settle for a refurbished phone when you paid for a new one less than a month ago???

Keep us posted on this.
  7. freki

freki New Member

I bought the phone online at LetsTalk.com. I got it for free plus a $100 MIR, so I'm happy about that. I'm wondering if I should call LetsTalk and see if there's anything they can do. I'd be happy having a loaner phone for a week or two until I get a new one, but I don't want to pay $400 out of pocket and then have to wait 3 months to get it credited back to me. That just seems ridiculous. Besides, I've heard nightmares about people doing that and then the cell phone company (not just Sprint) conveniently loses their package or "forgets" to credit the charge back. That's a big risk IMO. Or maybe I should just say look, it's within my 30 days, if I don't get a new phone, I'll just walk away from you guys and go somewhere else. That could work right? lol
  8. freki

freki New Member

Okay...more information....

Sprint called me back to tell me that there are no stores in my REGION that carry the Motorola Q9c, so the only option was to exchange it for a different phone, or to do the pay-up-front thing and send it in to Sprint. I've thought about trading it for the Curve, but now that I've had time to play with both my Q and my buddies Curve, I can't imagine switching phones.

So I called up LetsTalk customer service. They said that I would simply get an RMA # and shipping label and send my phone in for a direct exchange, no upfront cost. They, of course, have my CC on file, so maybe that's the difference. The only out is that I won't have a phone for about a week :(. But, it saves me $400. I suppose that's the route I'll have to go...and maybe I can talk my local Sprint retailer into giving me a loaner phone :).
  9. freki

freki New Member

And another update. I finally talked to LetsTalk and they agreed to send me a new phone after I shipped my old one back. This cost me about $15 to ship. Then I went over to a local sprint dealer and they provided me a loaner phone for a $20 refundable deposit.I received my replacement (2 weeks later) today. It works perfectly well (knock on wood) and all is going well. Problem resolved :)
  10. mmmdiesel

mmmdiesel New Member

What's my vision and how do I do it? Sounds like it could be something useful.
  11. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

it's under start > settings> PCS Vision. Updating the data profile basically reprovisions your data service (on Sprint anyway)
  12. stormin07

stormin07 New Member

Mine did something similar. All of a sudden everything was roaming. Tech support had me go into Settings....Phone Settings.... Network....Network Selection.... Sprint Only and restart the phone. I no longer get roaming.
  13. MadMangs

MadMangs New Member

In that menu item, you have 3 options. Sprint Only, Roam Only and Automatic.

You mentioned you changed yours to Sprint Only... I just wanted to let you know that by changing it to sprint only that if you should drive outside sprint's coverage area (or just wind up somewhere that don't get a good sprint signal), that you will not be able to use the phone because you've turned all roaming off.

The usual setting is "automatic". It allows the phone to switch between sprint and roaming as needed based on signal strength (or lack of signal from the home service (sprint in this case) actually).

Anyway... if you set it to roaming only, the phone will not use sprint's network, ever. If you set it to sprint only, it will use only sprints network all the time but if you should drive somewhere that has a poor sprint signal, your phone will not switch to a different carrier's service, it'll just sit there searching for a sprint signal (which will eat up your battery).

I'll give you a good example of where the automatic setting comes in very handy...

I work in an office building, made mostly of steel and concrete. I usually get a 1 bar sprint signal in my office, good enough to make a call and also good enough to use data. I can get a 2 bar sprint signal out on the main floor of the office and I can get a 3 bar sprint signal outside of the building. Sometimes, when the weather is bad or some other conditions screw up the signal, I'll lose sprint coverage inside my office. Once the phone detects it has no sprint coverage, it AUTOMATICALLY switches to roaming (and probably uses verizon's towers as they are the only other cdma carrier in my area). At that point, my signal strength will jump up to 2-3 bars in my office where just moments ago, I had no signal. After a little while, the phone will try sprint again and will switch back automatically (or I can just reboot it and during the boot up, if it can see a sprint signal, it'll switch back).

I know when the phone changes from home service (sprint) to roaming service because I have it set to make an audible tone whenever the carrier changes.

If you want to turn on the "service tone", just go into settings, look for phone settings, then go into alerts. the first item in the menu called "service tone" will turn the audible alerts on (or off) for you. I do believe the default is off but I'm not sure off the top of my head.

so every now and then, the phone will be sitting on my desk in my office and i'll hear the thing go beep. the tone is not one of the standard tones so you'll know it when you hear it.

Anyway... sorry for all the psycho-babble... I just wanted to let you know by switching to "sprint only" that you've restricted your phone to only sprint's service and if you should ever really need to roam, you won't be able to until you set the phone to roam only or automatic.
  14. stormin07

stormin07 New Member

I realize this, but all of a sudden while sitting in my house where I could get Sprint coverage, my Q9C went to roaming all of the time. Switched it to Sprint only to save roaming charges. If traveling and I run out of Sprint coverage, I can easily switch it back to Automatic.