No Activesync In Vista

Discussion in 'Motorola Q' started by Mrkiddman, Mar 14, 2007.

1. Mrkiddman

Mrkiddman New Member

No Activesync In Vista

I don’t know if you guys can help me with this problem…It may be an problem with active sync(Windows Mobile Device Center) in Vista Home Premium. I am using an IO Gear GBU 221 Bluetooth adapter to connect from my home PC(HP Media Center PC m7350) to a Motorola Q smartphone(Sprint). The Bluetooth connection is working well. I can see the phone fine in the Bluetooth menus and transfer files to and from my PC via Bluetooth. I have no problems connecting my PC to the Personal Area network or to a Jabra Headset. My problem lies when I try to use active Sync. Windows Mobile device center does not see my Smartphone. When I’m in Active sync on the phone I can click Connect via Bluetooth to add a new sync partner, I then search and find the name of my home computer and hit select. This is where the problem lies. It says Checking services for about 10 min then Bluetooth ActiveSync Service not found. “The service you are requesting is not supported on the device. Please make sure the device is ready and the service is enabled.”
    I tried the following registry edit but I can still not activesync through Bluetooth.
    http://mobilitytoday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15245

one of the problem that I get after migrating to Vista is getting Activesync to work using bluetooth. For some reason, Windows Mobile Device Center (WMDC) doesn't allow bluetooth synchronisation to work especially, and I suspect it's because WMDC assume bluetooth service discovery, pairing & connection process that's not based on (bluetooth) virtual com port.
    In anycase, selecting 'Bluetooth' in the WMDC's connection setting doesn't work, at least for me. This is because while my mobile device detects my desktop via bluetooth, it cannot determine there's an activesync service (i.e. WMDC) running in the background in the desktop. In the good old days of Activesync, all I need to tell activesync to 'listen' to a bluetooth com port. There's no such ability in WMDC.
    This registry hack, to be applied to your desktop pc/laptop, enables WMDC to bind to a bluetooth virtual com port (as you set this com port as the incoming port). Go to \HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows CE Services, modify the value name "SerialPort" from "Bluetooth or Infrared" to "COM4", where COM4 is the virtual com port associated to your bluetooth incoming com port. The number varies from desktop to desktop, so choose the right com port for your specific use.

I have updated my phone via Motorola and updated WMDC and IO gear to the latest software versions as of 3.14.2007. The USB SYNC works fine, I feel like I’ve tried everything I can think of. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  2. shaun0207

shaun0207 New Member

Have a similar setup with my laptop (toshiba A105-S4064). I'm unable to install programs on my Q using Windows Mobile Device Center or get Onenote Moblie to install.
  3. larsdennert

larsdennert Active Member

Did you set up a partnership via a USB cable before you tried via BT? With XP you have to do it wired the first time. Maybe Vista is the same.
  4. My-Q

My-Q New Member

I would suggest trying to connect with the USB first. I am running Vista Ultimate and Mobile Center. I have not had any trouble connecting. I can transfer my Outlook information. I can transfer files. I do not have a bluetooth connection to my PC so I can't help with that at the moment. But, yes...try to connect with the USB first.

I did notice that I got a warning when transferring xml (homescreens) saying that were not compatible, but they are. I just ignored it.
  5. Mrkiddman

Mrkiddman New Member

USB works fine.

I have connected and made a partnership with USB. That portion works flawlessly and all my outlook fuctionality is great. I still can not do the same via Bluetooth. Thanks for your reply's:laugh2:
  6. VTDr0p0ut

VTDr0p0ut New Member

I'm in the same spot... USB works like a champ, bluetooth works great for everything except WMDC. The thread you mentioned didn't work for me either. Go figure.
  7. skreemer7

skreemer7 New Member

try this...

I just got a new motorola Q from the sero plan thru inphonics and have been playing around with the phone for quite a while. I think I found a solution to the problem of syncing vista wmdc with the motorola q, and this also makes bluetooth PDAnet work as well. Here is what I did.

1. Set up the motorola q with the bluetooth on your computer using the standard vista "bluetooth devices" program. Add the device and it should show up as a phone. (If you cant get it to find the phone, make sure bluetooth is turned on on the phone itself... took me a few minutes to figure that out)

2. Anyway, once the phone is set up, click on the options tab and make sure that allow bluetooth devices to find my computer is checked and the two under Connections.

3. Now, go to the COM Ports tab and there you should see two COM ports, both for the motorola q, one should say outgoing and one incoming. Note the incoming port. Mine was COM8.

4. This is the important step, and requires going into the registry of the Computer, NOT the phone. Its pretty simple though. go to start and type regedit to bring up the registry. Then, navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows CE Services

Click on the Windows CE services folder and you should see a bunch of entries on the right hand side. One of them should say: SerialPort, and should have a red ab next to the word. This value should say bluetooth. Double click on SerialPort, and replace Bluetooth with COM8- that is in my case, COM# for whatever number was your incoming com port. just hit ok, close the editor and restart the computer.

5. Once restarted, hook up the phone via USB to make sure WMDC is working in the first place. Then go to your phone's activesync program, menu, connect via bluetooth, and select your computer, and walla, it should work.

EDIT: I see that you've already tried this. When you restart your computer, have you gone in your registry and looked at the edited value. Is it still what you changed it to, or is it back to bluetooth?
  8. Mrkiddman

Mrkiddman New Member

It Worked!!!!

Skreemer 7.
    That worked like a charm. I now have the ability to active sync via bluetooth in vista. I had tried all of this before but the missing piece was connecting with USB immediatly after restarting from changing the registry.:laugh2: :laugh2:
    Thanks so much.
  9. VTDr0p0ut

VTDr0p0ut New Member

AAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA Thanks Mrkiddman & Skreemer... that last step 5 is what did it. I always tried to connect via BT first, but now... it works like a charm!
  10. nacnack

nacnack New Member

No Go!

I've spent approximately a week on this trying to get this to work and NOTHING. I mean I've tried every port available and even the ones that weren't and still can't get it to work via BT with my Vista.

My MotoQ BT settings are

Inbound COM Port: BTCS
    Outbound COM Port: COM1

Default device for outbound connections:

<none>

and a check in the box below None. My Q will not allow me to change these settings at all Period unless someone knows a hack. Also, I've done the changes on the system registry with COM 1 and all the other COM ports over and over and over and....with different COM ports and Still a NO-GO!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also every time I try and sync with Active sync I get:

Service Not Found

The service you are requesting is not supported on the device. Please make sure the device is ready and the service is enabled. This is driving me nutts.. I absolutely have no idea how to set up Exchange Server in Active sync for Outlook. I tried to understand this part over several months but just don't get the whole "Server setup" function in Outlook. HELP!!!
  11. xtravgnt

xtravgnt New Member

Yup same here
  12. nacnack

nacnack New Member

S.O.B its working... after all this pain (my wife is fed up with me trying also :)

I'm embarrassed to write this but if it helps some other novice here it is.

Stupid me, after all the reading, I never read until reading this post that I could use Active Sync (Retard) I had always thought that once I got a BT connection (And I had one) WMDC would automatically run. I never thought Active Sync would work with Vista so I never tried it. No one ever talked about using it till now, all the other post just talked about how to set up COM ports...so I set and set and set till I almost puked and WMDC never would connect. I never had to use active sync with the cable, it was just plug and play, never knew it was running in the background. Damn, do I feel crunchie.

Oh well, it does work like a charm now.... all smiles.
  13. Mrkiddman

Mrkiddman New Member

try this

nacknack,
    as far as i know the com port settings on your moto q phone dont really matter. It's the ones on your bluetooth settings on your PC. You can change those pretty easily. The incoming com port for your PC is what your should be doing the registy edit for. Hope this helps.
  14. jaysonknack

jaysonknack New Member

Can't change my bluetooth settings

I have been having the same Vista BT problems with my Q. My Asus laptop can find and partner with the phone by using the wizard from the task tray but it won't sync.

When I use the control panel > Setup a bluetooth device> Add - it cannot find the phone.

When I go to > options and select > allow Bt devices to find this computer and select that option. I get the following message:

"Bluetooth Service Error

An error occured while Windows was saving your settings. The following settings were not saved:

Discoverabilty Settings
    Connection Settings."

I have uninstalled the BT driver and reinstalled, makes no difference. I have also sync'd with success with a USB cable.

Why can the task icon find the phone but the bluetooth application not? Anyone else have this error?

Thanks,

JKCDN
  15. My-Q

My-Q New Member

jayson, what bluetooth device are you trying to connect to your Q?
  16. jaysonknack

jaysonknack New Member

Trying to get my Q to sync with my Asus laptop via bluetooth. USB cable syncs fine.
  17. nacnack

nacnack New Member

Did you do all the steps as discribed in this forum as far as the COM port settings? I had to go to my system register and set my serial port to COM1 to match the outbound comport on my Q. Then I went in and set up the bluetooth device.
  18. jaysonknack

jaysonknack New Member

Nothing works, tried changing ports etc. I can't get my pc to recognize the Q at all.

Jayson
  19. Mrkiddman

Mrkiddman New Member

USB Sync?

is this in vista?
    can you see the PC at all?
    Initially I couldnt Active sync but I could always connect and transfer files.
    Have your updated your phone to the latest software?
    sometimes I have to turn my phone off and back on right before a sync:foot:
    after rebooting from the registry edit you have to active sync with USB before trying to setup a new sctive sync via BT
  20. Redmont

Redmont New Member

DO you have a bluetooth device installed in your laptop????

and have you tryed a clean boot:

Step 1: Start the System Configuration Utility

Click Start, click Run, type msconfig, and then click OK.

The System Configuration Utility dialog box appears.
    Step 2: Configure selective startup options

1.In the System Configuration Utility dialog box, click the General tab, and then click Selective Startup.2.Click to clear the Process SYSTEM.INI File check box.3.Click to clear the Process WIN.INI File check box.4.Click to clear the Load Startup Items check box.5.Click the Services tab.6.Click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box.7.Click Disable All, and then click OK..8.When you are prompted, click Restart to restart the computer.
    Step 3: Log on to Windows

1.Log on to Windows.2.When you receive the following message, click to select the Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows start check box, and then click OK: You have used the System Configuration Utility to make changes to the way Windows starts.

The System Configuration Utility is currently in Diagnostic or Selective Startup mode, causing this message to be displayed and the utility to run every time Windows starts.

Choose the Normal Startup mode on the General tab to start Windows normally and undo the changes you made using the System Configuration Utility.

Step 4: Optional step to disable features

This step temporarily disables Microsoft features such as Plug and Play, networking, event logging, and error reporting. Also, this step permanently removes the restore points from the computer. The System Restore feature uses restore points to restore your computer to an earlier state. If you remove the restore points, you can no longer restore Windows to an earlier state. 1.Click Start, click Run, type msconfig, and then click OK.

The System Configuration Utility dialog box appears.2.Click the General tab, click to clear the Load System Services check box, and then click OK.3.When you are prompted, click Restart to restart the computer.