Newbie Here... Oh No!

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9c' started by Dukeboy0169, Dec 1, 2007.

1. Dukeboy0169

Dukeboy0169 New Member

Newbie Here... Oh No!

:) Just picked up a 9c. My first smartphone. I have a lot of input to add but first a question if I may.

Can you format Windows mobile 6 just like you can format xp on your desktop? In other words, if I screw up my 9c by trying out hacks or even if I just want to format because I feel its gotten cluttered, can I reload the os using the cd that came with my 9c when I bought it?

A lot of you really know this device and os well. This is an awesome forum!

Thanks,
    LJ
  2. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

welcome aboard..

the equivalent of what you describe is a Master Reset, it brings the Q back to out of box state (and wipe everything you did to it except the MOL updates.)
  3. BIGD

BIGD New Member

if u have anything on ur Q dont forget to back it up with sprite backup and then master reset it
  4. Dukeboy0169

Dukeboy0169 New Member

Thank you guys. Can someone point me to the best link or info for doing a Master Reset on the Q9c?

Also I saw someone mention that you should get the insurance on your phone before messing with hacks, but if a master reset does what you say it does, why would insurance be necessary? Since you can always just bring your phone back to the same state it was in right out of the box?

Thanks!
  5. BIGD

BIGD New Member

start / system tools/ master reset

. how much did u pay for ur phone?
  6. Dukeboy0169

Dukeboy0169 New Member

I think I paid $150. I havent even activated it yet. It was an impulse buy online. After I added it to my cart, and then decided to leave, Sprint offered another $50 credit so I decided to go for it. So with that credit plus the $100 mail in rebate plus the $200 instant off I guess I really only paid $100 for the phone.

$450 - $200(instant off) - $100(mail in) - $50(credit) = $100

That a good deal? Of course that was with starting a new 2 year contract but it was time anyway.
  7. BIGD

BIGD New Member

thats what i paid . so anyways before doing master reset dont forget to make backup copy of ur Q .
  8. Dukeboy0169

Dukeboy0169 New Member

Cool thanks bro. So in your opinion, sprite backup is the best program for that? Is it pretty self explanitory?
  9. BIGD

BIGD New Member

yes its the best one
  10. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

there's a problem with that procedure, if you backup the Q with Sprite before you Master Reset, you have a backup with the issue on/in it which was the reason for the Master Reset to begin with..
  11. Dukeboy0169

Dukeboy0169 New Member

Do you have a link for it I didnt see it in your apps list?
  12. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

13. BIGD

BIGD New Member

you dont have to backup everything u can backup whatever u gonna need ;)
  14. Dukeboy0169

Dukeboy0169 New Member

Yes but in this case there is no issue. Im just planning in advance.
  15. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

aha... still, you've been here a while and not everyone knows what's wrong w/ the phone before doing a MR. none the less i agree it's a good idea to use Sprite (even though i don't :}

it would be smart to make a backup on a Q with no issues.
  16. Dukeboy0169

Dukeboy0169 New Member

No luck... :(

Everything looks perfect, it says the device is going to reset. The Q9c turns off but never turns back on. The sprite screen stays on my desktop and says its "waiting for the operation to begin on the device. This may take up to two minutes." But I waited over 7 minutes and nothing happens. I turned the 9c on manually and it shut back off after it booted. It said the error was because my target folder where I chose to save the backup file didnt have enough space, but there 50 gigs free on that drive! I excluded backup of the storage card since everything on there is stored on my PC.

Any thoughts? Suggestions?
    LJ
  17. Dukeboy0169

Dukeboy0169 New Member

Tried again.. Still had to turn device back on manually but this time backup began. However...

Its backing up large files on my storage card! I told it to exclude the storage card! Not too happy with sprite as of yet...
  18. Boe

Boe New Member

May I ask what version of Sprite you are using?
  19. mike250rs

mike250rs New Member

..thus the need for insurance. For when the phone is "accidentaly" dropped after a long night of debuging.
  20. Dukeboy0169

Dukeboy0169 New Member

Im using the full version of 6.1.

Very true about the insurance. Let me ask, is Sprint pretty good about replacements? Thats the one thing thats killing me in my decision to keep this phone. I drop my phones a lot. So what if I drop it off a ladder or something at work one day and theres a horrible scratch through the center of my screen yet the phone still functions properly? Will Sprint replace it if I have the $7/month insurance plan? Or does that not cover that sort of thing?

I know I can ask sprint but Ill probably get more honest answers in this forum...

Thanks!