Newb question. How to get music on q9m

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9m' started by Kassdog, Oct 23, 2007.

1. Kassdog

Kassdog New Member

Newb question. How to get music on q9m

I just bought my q9m yesterday and I started exploring it today. How do I go about putting my music from my computer to my phone. Do i need to purchase something or can I just get it to work by hooking it up to my computer.
  2. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

depending on your OS... if you run XP use Active Sync, if you use Vista use Windows Mobile Device Center.. both available from the Windows Mobile web site.. there is also WM5torage which turns the Q into a flash/jump-drive but i am not 100% sure if it will work with the Q9..
  3. Kassdog

Kassdog New Member

What is OS. I'm not computer savy. Are you talking about the active sync on my computer or on the blackberry.
  4. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

OS = Operating System, the one on your pc. XP uses Active Sync, Vista does not.
  5. Kassdog

Kassdog New Member

Ok so I just downloaded active sync on my computer and when I hit connect it can't find it. Is there anything I need to do on my q9m to turn on the active synce or should it find it automatically. I'm using a usb connection. Also on my q9m, when i go into the activesync software it comes up with this message

"if your company supports syncing directly with its exchange server you can set up your device to sync with it." With the last part as a link. And the sync button isn't lit up. When I click on the link it wants my it wants my server address. Where can I find that. Do I even need that when I'm using a usb connectinos.
  6. jasoraso

jasoraso Member

It appears you are working on 2 issues, Music and syncing. Let me suggest you purchase a memory card for your phone if you haven't already.

There are 2 ways to work with music on the Q:

1. The QUICK and DIRTY way to put music on the Q is to get a memory card (Mini SD or Micro SD w/ Mini adapter) with a card reader. You then copy the music from your computer to the card. Put the card in the Q and open the music player, tell it update the library so it scans the card to see what music is there, and then tell it use the library for the card.

2. when the Q is connected to the computer with the USB cable, you can open Windows Media and click on the Sync tab. You should be prompted to setup the device - giving it a name etc. If you have a memory card in the Q, you can set up 2 devices, the memory card (through the Q) and the Q itself. You will then be able to copy music to the device. You will want to copy music to the memory card (the Q memory is not very big and you won't be able to store many songs on there). This method of transfering songs to the phone works very well, especially for utilizing playlists, but is (much) slower than the 1st method.

Your second issue is dealing with the sync function for email/calendar/tasks etc. Activesync on your computer is designed work with Microsoft Outlook. If you don't use Outlook, you may not find much use for the activesync program. Microsoft Outlook can work with an Exchange Server (many companies use exchange servers). If you get your email from an Exchange Server, you can set the Q up to communicate directly with the Exchange Server using the Activesync program that is on the phone (you will probably want unlimited data if this is the case).

hope this helps.

Jason
  7. Kassdog

Kassdog New Member

Ok thanks, that makes a lot of sense now. I'll have to try it when I get home. Thanks everyone for the help.
  8. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

you bet'cha.. let's us know if you got it resolved..
  9. OceanQ9m

OceanQ9m New Member

To create playlists in the Q do you need to first make them in your Windows Media player on your PC? And then transfer them to the Q? I am not finding a lot of useful info in regards to this.

I have been using the #1 QUICK & DIRTY method but I need playlists bigtime. (You can't create playlists with this method can you?)

If anyone has info or links to managing the Q9m music library I would really appreciate it. Thanks!
  10. Kassdog

Kassdog New Member

So I'm trying to sync it up and it doesn't appear to find my phone. While I"m in windows media player I drag my songs over to the sync area. But the sync button doesn't light up. Is there anything I need to do to my phone asside from plug it in.
  11. Kassdog

Kassdog New Member

Ok when I'm in windows media player on my computer I click on the sync, then more options, then is doesn't come up with mobile device on the devices.
  12. paramedicnate

paramedicnate New Member

You can create a folder on your Q9m and move songs over the manual way, or you can create on on your microSD card and pop it in your Q9m, or you can use Windows Media Player to sync them. I prefer to just save them on my card and pop it in.

-Nate
  13. Kassdog

Kassdog New Member

My problem is that the windows media player isn't recgonizing my Q9m. When I click on devices it doesn't show any mobile devices.
  14. paramedicnate

paramedicnate New Member

Which Windows Media Player do you have? I think you need to have at least version 10 for it to sync with a mobile device or MP3 player.

-Nate
  15. Kassdog

Kassdog New Member

I can't find what version I have. It only says windows media player no matter where I look. Is it free to download from the site.
  16. paramedicnate

paramedicnate New Member

17. OceanQ9m

OceanQ9m New Member

I transfer my music via the card too. Do you know if it is possible to create playlists transferring in this manner? Seems like there would be a way around syncing with the media player.
  18. jasoraso

jasoraso Member

If you use the sync function on your Windows PC in Windows Media Player, and drag playlists to the sync device, those playlists will show up in the Q media player.

The media player on the Q lacks functionality to create playlists on the device. On my Samsung i730, I had a 3rd party program to create playlists. A Google search found a few different programs that should work, including this one:
    http://greatbal.blogspot.com/2006/01/playlist-manager-sp.html
  19. OceanQ9m

OceanQ9m New Member

Nice. Thanks for the info. This site doesn't say anything about WM6 - only WM5 - but I'll look into it further.

I could create playlists on my old LG V9800 phone. Odd how this "media" based Q9m lacks this ability. Sometimes the most common sense features in the world are missing. Computers are fun! Keeps life interesting.
  20. jasoraso

jasoraso Member

It is funny that a media marketed phone lacks this capability. And that this minor capability has been missing for years.

I hope that the iPhone will put pressure on Microsoft/Verizon to address shortcomings like this, and we will be the beneficiaries. When I look at all the 3rd party software programs that I install on my phone ie. homescreen (facade), calendar (PocketInformant), web browser (opera), Reader software (tinyReader and Ereader), and that this software is there because Microsoft is too cheap/lazy/incompetent to make their software work the way a reasonable person would design it, it makes me wonder .....

Sorry for the rant ....

Jason