NEW! Yahoo Go (mobile messenger!)

Discussion in 'Windows Phone Software' started by tharmsen, Sep 5, 2006.

1. tharmsen

tharmsen New Member

NEW! Yahoo Go (mobile messenger!)

Check this out! Yahoo has a new Windows Smartphone app that does more than just allow you to login and chat.

Save numbers once
    Contacts saved to your phone are also saved to your Yahoo! Address Book.
    - If you lose your phone, your contacts are safe.
    - You only have to manage a single address book.
    - Any changes or additions are automatically synchronized with your Yahoo! account.

Set your photos free
    Pictures you take with your phone are automatically saved to your Yahoo! Photos account.
    - Easily print and share photos online.
    - Pictures are viewable on your TV.

Take your inbox out
    - Your phone tells you when new emails arrive.
    - Emails you send from your phone are always backed up to your online account.

Drive and send messages at the same time
    With Yahoo! Go, you can send voice instant messages* to your friends.
    - When you can't text, you can record voice messages.
    - Friends can reach you even when you're away from your PC.

Check it out HERE.

I'm installing it now and will let you know how it works.
  2. tharmsen

tharmsen New Member

Here's what I've found:

* it sync's all of your outlook contacts with your Yahoo account (cool)
    * it sets up real-time push email via SMS I believe (cool)
    * it uses IE for Messenger (not so cool)
    * it sets up a Yahoo inbox in your Outook on the phone automatically and all mail is delievered there (cool)
    * it is fully integrated with your Yahoo online account that you can access via PC (cool)
    * it has links to news, weather and other stuff (generic, just ok)

So, it's a neat little app. I was luke warm at first but the email functionality seems to be worth while. I just wish the IM part was a little more integrated.
  3. qwerty951

qwerty951 New Member

Yahoo Calendar

Have you had an success with syncing the Yahoo calendar with the one in your phone? I know you can manually put your information in your phone and it will back it up, but how about the other way round?
  4. tharmsen

tharmsen New Member

Yup, it completely sync'ed my Outlook calendar and contacts.
  5. tharmsen

tharmsen New Member

I guess I should post an update... I uninstalled it because after running it for a couple of days it was wiping out my battery quickly. I guess it's talking on the network constantly and I couldn't find a way to change the settings. The email account it creates on your phone can't be edited by you, so I have no idea how often it's hitting the Yahoo mail server. After uninstalling it my battery usage went back to normal.
  6. Kupe

Kupe New Member

I was also concerned about the SMS aspect of its "push" email - I didn't want a big SMS bill surprise at the end of the month. :(
  7. adrian

adrian New Member

I have an account at www.zyb.com and i have synchronized my contacts there. I find this more easy to synchronize it with Zyb adn i can transfer my contacts back when ever i change my phone. Its easy
  8. timothyf

timothyf New Member

Yahoo GO! using SMS/MMS???

Can anyone confirm that Yahoo GO! does indeed use SMS/MMS to send/receive email?

My plan with Verizon includes unlimited Data but no SMS/MMS, so if Yahoo GO! uses SMS/MMS I would think thats a bad thing for alot of potential users.

Tim
  9. acarter00

acarter00 Member

I used Yahoo Go for a little bit and it runs through the Q's IE. I stopped using it because it was too slow and I had to keep refreshing the screen to see instant messages people sent to me. So, to answer your question, to my knowledge it does not pull from SMS/MMS capabilities. Hope this helps :smile:
  10. trent_duke

trent_duke New Member

It does not use SMS or MMS. Yahoo is installed within that group of sending messages and you choose "yahoo" for sending and receiving emails. Unfortunately 2.0 is not avail for us just yet but I believe someone said the old version(I have and others) was put back up by Yahoo somewhere.

To get free SMS only(2000 per month), call verizon and tell the rep to add a feature they have to go into their computer and find: "PDA SMS 2000 allowance $0." This way if someone txts you, you wont be charged 10 cents a txt.

HTH

Trent
  11. acarter00

acarter00 Member

....however they will charge you $0.25 for each PIX/FLIX message. That is the only reason I won't add that feature.
  12. SureIsMe

SureIsMe New Member

Thanks for the info
  13. acarter00

acarter00 Member

Anytime...by the way, cute picture :wink:
  14. timothyf

timothyf New Member

I know that the IM through Yahoo GO does not use SMS because like you said it goes through IE. But, someone earlier in this thread stated that GO used SMS to push the email to Yahoo. So that is false? It does NOT push email via SMS???

Thanks,
    Tim
  15. trent_duke

trent_duke New Member

I might get 10 pix sent via mms to my phone from others. So paying $120 more a year is not worth it. Every in my contact list has an email so I sent pix via email which is covered under unlimited data.

Who is saying Yahoo uses sms? I just called Verizon, and asked if a pic I sent via yahoo got sent mms and the answer was no.

Anyone else have any answers?

Trent
  16. timothyf

timothyf New Member

Trent,

How do you have Yahoo email set up on your Q. Do you use Yahoo email through the Yahoo GO! application, or do you just go through the yahoo mail website in IE?

Thanks,
    Tim
  17. rickford

rickford New Member

Ok, I didn't follow that very well. What is it that I tell the Verizon Rep? It looks like I tell them to find "PDA Sms 2000 allowance $0." So what do they do once I ask them to find this? I'm not following here. Explain it to me like I'm dumb (which won't be far from the truth). :foot:

Thanks for the info in advance.
  18. trent_duke

trent_duke New Member

I use Yahoo GO.

For the 2000 sms feature, have them add it to your account.

Trent
  19. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

i want to sign-up but in the Motorola list i don't see the Q.
  20. My-Q

My-Q New Member

I am getting the same message. Yahoo said they would send me a message when the Q is supported. Is it a Verizon thing? That is what I have.