New with questions :-)

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9h' started by jb0615, Jun 15, 2008.

1. jb0615

jb0615 New Member

New with questions :)

Hello all,
    I bought a q 9h last week and so far I love it! I only have 2 problems/questions so far:

I live in an area with less than moderate 3g service, in fact, most times I cannot pick up 3g at all. And in my house I get a very poor signal. When I make calls, they either drop, or the person on the other end has a hard time hearing me. I previously had a RAZR phone (one of the original RAZR's) and had terrific reception in my house. I am curious if I am getting poor reception in my house because the phone is 3g and my 3g area of service is not good. I'm with AT&T and I still pick up the Edge network, but it's still poor. Anyone have any experience with this kind of thing??

I have one other question. I have installed some of the 3rd party aps that I found on this site/via 'Everything Q', and I have been having a problem with my screen going black every so often and I have to reboot. Has anyone had any problems with any of the software from 'Everything Q' doing this? If you'd like, I can list the software I have downloaded. I just thought I'd take the easy way out first time around and see if anyone had any problems like this. For all I know, it may not be the software but some other issue.

Thanks one and all!
    jb0615
  2. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

welcome aboard...

bad reception is more a carrier issue.

what software have you downloaded & problems with ?

potQ.
  3. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

aaaaaaaaaaand welcome to EQ!!
  4. bobby-n

bobby-n New Member

Welcome to EQ
  5. jb0615

jb0615 New Member

Hello, thanks for the quick reply and welcome!! I did a lot of reading up on the Q and saw the rave reviews of how good reception people get and how others think you're calling them from a land line! I had AT&T with my RAZR so I figured the Q would be as good. It kind of surprises me, and I don't honestly know what I can do about it. I'm inclined to keep the phone anyway, mainly for all the other great features! So, if anyone has had any experiences with this please let me know. Thanks! OK, here's what I have installed so far: Ben Hirashima DialPad Caywen Kevtris 2 ClockOnTop QVGA WMS Moto Q Flashlight SiriusWMS Google Maps Manbolo Magic Bubble (game) Q Candlelight Spybot Search & Destroy SMSBubbles Facade SKTools Lite SplashData Splash News TCPMP TrianglePowers.com Reset Button Viigo by Virtual Reach Inc. Yahoo! Go I also have installed trial versions of: Resco Explorer (have this on my pocket pc :) Smoresoft Sudoku (a keeper!) MyCast Weather (looking for a good free weather ap) Facade (don't know about this one. Like text with my shortcuts) OH NO! I'VE QUICKLY TURNED INTO A 'Q' SOFTWARE JUNKIE! I did have QuickLauncher installed but whenever I would use it, my Q would lock up. And I tried Keylock but it was very confusing.. Thank you for whatever help you can provide. jb0615
  6. jb0615

jb0615 New Member

Shoot, I don't know what happened to my formatting! Lost all my spacing and paragraphs!! I will retype my last post if anyone wants me to. Sorry, jb0615
  7. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

I had problems with candlelight in my phone. It doesnt work well with the backlight. Once the screen times out it usually gets stuck and I have to remove the battery everytime. Try unstalling it, reboot and see if it helps. You can always reinstall it.
  8. jb0615

jb0615 New Member

Thanks! I suspected it was Candlelight. I removed it and my screen has not jazzed up since. I am curious though, if any other AT&T subscribers who use the Q have any problems with reception. Maybe it is AT&T and I had just lucked out with my RAZR. Thanks, jb0615
  9. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

Since you say you have low 3G coverage in your area, I suggest changing your band selection to only run on Edge (850/1900). When you get dropped calls it's probably because it has swithced to 3G.
  10. jb0615

jb0615 New Member

I'm really novice at this kind of thing. How would I change my band to run only on Edge? And would it be a difficult thing to switch it back to running on 3G when I'm not at home?
  11. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

Well, since you havent done it before, you need to enable band selection. The instructions are bellow:

Enable band selection:
    By doing this you can pick automatic/North America 3G/GSM W850/W1900(3G) 850/1900(GSM) 900/1800 (GSM)
    1. Go to Home Screen
    2. Type *#1546792*# and then send
    3. You will see new screen that indicates that Band
    Selection was enabled
    4. Now you can go to Settings/Phone/Network/Band
    Selection
  12. jb0615

jb0615 New Member

Great, thank you! I changed it to 850/1900(GSM). I would imagine I can just change it back to automatic when I know I'm in a strong 3G area, like where I work. I would expect this will improve my reception also. Is that so?
    Thanks,
    jb0615
  13. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

I hope so. :smile:
  14. jb0615

jb0615 New Member

Is there a way to point my right soft key to the network folder so I can quickly change the band selection?
    Thanks,
    jb0615
  15. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

I don't think so. It looks like the farthest you can take it is Settings.
  16. jb0615

jb0615 New Member

I tried it, and so far so good. Thank you, Ninjaap!

I am curious, though, what the other band selections are, and if there is ever an occasion when I should use them.

Thanks,
    jb0615
  17. mexiken

mexiken New Member

The other EDGE settings are for Europe and Asia. You'd only use them if you traveled there. If you ever do travel out of the country, just leave it all on automatic and you'll be set :smile:
  18. ptlee8202

ptlee8202 New Member

The program that runs is bandselect.exe in the \windows folder. If you make a shortcut to bandselect.exe and put the shortcut in
    \windows\start menu\ then you can point the right soft key to the shortcut.
  19. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

I think you need to go through the registry for that because going through Personalize My Q folder won't allow you to.
  20. ptlee8202

ptlee8202 New Member

I did it to make sure it can be done.