New version of Google maps for mobile! - track your friends

Discussion in 'Windows Phone Software' started by kareljack, Feb 4, 2009.

1. sitlet

sitlet New Member

anyone have any info on battery drain using latitude? i know just using google maps to get directions to somewhere drans the battery a bit... although i do use trackr for this exact feature and trackr REALLY drains the battery.

also, does somebody have to be your friend to seee your location? i like how on trackr if u dont set a password anyone can log on and see your location.
  2. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

yea it leaves your screen on even if you arent using the app but let it run in the background so yes battery drains faster

and no you have to accept them in order for them to track/watch you
  3. cmuchill

cmuchill New Member

So with Google Maps running the screen won't turn off, has anyone found a way around this? It is going to kill my battery. Please help, love it otherwise.
  4. n99hockey

as of right now...turn it off when you get to the place you are going and turn it back on when you leave
  5. travoltron

travoltron New Member

n99, how did you get a Q9n?
  6. n99hockey

got it back in december last year from a member here at EQ

check out the marketplace there are a few for sale if you are interested or shoot me a PM if you cant find one
    there are very few left
  7. Bozz

Bozz New Member

So, I have been trying to follow whether or not this Google Latitude will allow me to share my location with friends on VERIZON. It seems it is using triangulation, not the forever locked GPS?

Sorry if I missed something but I have not seen a clear answer as to whether or not it will work on Verizon. Right now, it appears not to as I have set it up a few minutes ago and shared my location with a friend but he cannot see me... (I can see him but he is using a BB).

If this is redundant, I apologize but I have followed several dead-end threads on here and haven't found an answer.

Thanks,
    Bozz
  8. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

Bozz have you gotten the gps to lock in any other application? i do get it to lock in my Google latitude and i find people and people see me all the time, when they see me they see it as a "triangular" location however on my actual phone it is going via the actual gps location. Try using a program called GPS test and see if you get anything on there, also much sure that you location setting on the phone is set to On and not 911 only. To find that go to start...settings...phone...services...gps...change setting and its in there. Thats a problem i was having at first when trying to get a gps lock on the phone. than if it starts to work you may want to try out a program called BAF GPS Toggle its just a plugin for your today screen so that you can easily toggle the gps on and off.
    Let me know if you have any further questions as i've had some experience going through all this as you can see above haha.
  9. larsdennert

larsdennert Active Member

Latitude works great on VZW. Make sure you don't have your location hidden AND make sure that you are not hiding your location from that individual person.

You can share your location in latitude several ways:

Locate yourself manually on the map.
    Cellid
    wifi
    gps

I've shared back and forth my location with WM phones, Ipod touches and iphones. All work. The Ipod Touch can locate itself really well just with wifi.

The older versions of GM allowed you to look up a contact and get directions to that contact. I can't find the feature in the new version. Has anyone seen it??
  10. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

What i've done to get directions to other people on my latitude on google maps is if you click on their picture and hold it down a pop up menu comes up and you can select directions to or directions from and go from there.
  11. larsdennert

larsdennert Active Member

what about contacts in the address book? there used to be an option to use their address.

ah wait i founf it under options. that's a good place to hide it
  12. n99hockey

Updated

google maps has been updated to version 3.2.1 according to wmexperts.com

http://www.wmexperts.com/google-maps-updated-321