New Verizon GPS Fix

Discussion in 'Moto Q Hacks' started by wnrussell, Dec 22, 2008.

1. bberryhill0

bberryhill0 Active Member

USCC now has the HTC Touch Pro with 'autonomous GPS'.
  2. CellZealot

CellZealot New Member

All the new smartphones have unlocked GPS it seems, which is the primary reason that we made the assessment that all of this work simply wasn't worth the effort for a legacy device. The market has moved on and Motorola appears to be losing the game at this point...they certainly dropped the ball on WinMo at the very least.

wnrussell and I are very reluctant to give up, neither of us likes to lose, but the law of diminishing returns has pushed us to this conclusion.
  3. larsdennert

larsdennert Active Member

It absolutely does come from different sources. That's why I mentioned it. Maybe you can't get the gps decrypted to work BUT if any of your ROMs are exposing cellid's there is a chance that google maps can use them to locate you. It would be a consolation to a long and hard effort.

On the Saga with GM you can locate yourself using three different methods. cellid which is good for about a 1000m radius and super fast. Wifi which is extremely accurate but sometimes spotty in signal. GPS which takes a while to boot but works everywhere accurately.

Cellid used to work on the Q1 years ago.
  4. teddyearp

teddyearp Member

Well, I for one, though I did not really contribute to this thread, surely appreciate all the trouble and time you guys spent on this. I cannot begin to thank you guys (and MotoManiac, Goldmembr, and Aix and the others) how much I learned from you guys over at HoFo and elswhere about the various dumbphone hacking and flashing methods.
  5. CellZealot

CellZealot New Member

Well, the learning curve for me on this project was very steep indeed, so I have come away having gained a huge amount of knowledge, which is the real driving motivator for me anyway. I just wish it had resulted in a successful solution.

I have come to the conclusion that despite the appearance of a complete driver stack in this firmware combination that there is still some critical piece missing that is preventing the OS from using any of the assistance data available to it. When I suggested this to our developer cohort, he agreed that that seemed a strong possibility. And when he admitted he had no better idea how to proceed to solve or debug the problem than I did it was very dismaying to say the least.

If this is true then we're back to reverse engineering ala the Skywing solution and that's something that I am simply not equipped to do, unfortunately.

Nobody else has stepped up with the skillset and willingness to do the work that is required for that approach and so it seems that this is where it will end.
  6. Weapondrift

Weapondrift New Member

Dont think that your efforts have all been in vain, i guarantee, ONE day somewhere, someone will try this again and hopefully reading and understanding all the effort and work that you all put in they might be able to do this....think of this as the stepping stone for greater things :)
  7. poboy975

poboy975 New Member

well I thank you all for your valiant effort in trying to unlock the gps. I wish it could have happened. in light of someone else somewhere maybe taking up the gauntlet and running with it, would it be possible for you guys to post a final this is the edits/hacks/steps we made it to? that way if someone does come along, maybe they can pick up where you guys left off. again thanks for all your efforts!:laugh2:
  8. CellZealot

CellZealot New Member

I'll be more than happy to help anyone who wants to continue to pursue this.

After all, there have been a huge number of participants in this whole thing from the outset. Lately, it has largely devolved into a situation where I was working mostly in isolation with some testing help from several others.

Many of the significant developments were made by others and not me.

I have just been reading back through the thread putting together a thank you list and it's truly amazing the number of people who have contributed in very critical ways to the process.

I just feel like I need a break from the pressure, mostly self imposed of course, to devote all of my energy to solving this conundrum.

I would love to see someone do this...I would still love to be that person...I am simply saying that I seem to be coming to the limit of my abilities and resources to accomplish this in any meaningful or practical time frame.
  9. Aixelsyd

Aixelsyd Active Member

And your efforts are most appreciated bud, along with everyone else who has spent countless hours looking over and reviewing things also.
  10. teddyearp

teddyearp Member

Yup, kb, you have gone above and beyond . . . .
  11. wnrussell

wnrussell Active Member

He gets an Ozone tomorrow. Crazy?
  12. CellZealot

CellZealot New Member

"You gotta jones for this, and a jones for that...keepin' up with the joneses well it just ain't where it's at."

-Boz Skaggs "Dirty Lowdown"
  13. Aixelsyd

Aixelsyd Active Member

Of course it is but why not tho right. We only live once so we might as well have fun while here is what I say.
  14. CellZealot

CellZealot New Member

Ozone in hand...we'll see what comes of it...don't expect any miracles.
  15. wnrussell

wnrussell Active Member

Did you get a good deal on the Ozone?
  16. CellZealot

CellZealot New Member

It was a steal...or will be if I decide to keep it! :2cool:
  17. bberryhill0

bberryhill0 Active Member

It works with VZNavigator. No mention of any other GPS apps. 50 bucks is a great price.
  18. wnrussell

wnrussell Active Member

I can't believe he got one. What a crazy soldier.
  19. CellZealot

CellZealot New Member

Yup...certifiable for sure!
  20. teddyearp

teddyearp Member

<p>Well, not quite the right thread, but I'm going to try the Ozone as well.</p>
    <p>&nbsp;</p>
    <p>From my Nap</p>