New Verizon GPS Fix

Discussion in 'Moto Q Hacks' started by wnrussell, Dec 22, 2008.

1. hachu

hachu New Member

If it's not using the data nor the phone radio, it's standalone? Really?
    What chipset is this phone?

2. CellZealot

CellZealot New Member

Just a quick update...we are working with someone now who understands this stuff better than the rest of us up to this point.
    He doesnt have all theanswers but he has been a big help in deciphering the logs and progress is being made.
  3. larsdennert

larsdennert Active Member

hachu, it is a GPSone chip from QualComm. Using a gps test app I can verify that it truly sees satellites as a standalone chip. The Sat numbers match the type my Etrex reports. I also found some apps to dowload the Ephemerous data from the net instead of from the sats at 50bps. Makes for very fast locks.

However, cell id works too.

In case you want some registry settings from a working gps. Here are the ones from the Saga.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\GPS Intermediate Driver]
    "OldLogFile"="\\windows\\GPSLogFileBack.txt"
    "CurrentLogFile"="\\windows\\GPSLogFile.txt"
    "IsEnabled"=dword:00000001
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\GPS Intermediate Driver\Multiplexer]
    "DriverInterface"="COM9:"
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\GPS Intermediate Driver\Multiplexer\ActiveDevice]
    "Index"=dword:00000009
    "Prefix"="COM"
    "Context"=dword:12344160
    "Flags"=dword:00000002
    "Keep"=dword:00000001
    "Dll"="GPSID.dll"
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\GPS Intermediate Driver\Drivers]
    "SleepOnNoData"=dword:000003e8
    "RetryWaitOnError"=dword:00000003
    "OutputBufferSize"=dword:00001000
    "InputBufferSize"=dword:00001000
    "CurrentDriver"="GPSOneDevice"
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\GPS Intermediate Driver\Drivers\GPSOneDevice]
    "Version"=dword:00000001
    "PollInterval"=dword:000001f4
    "DriverName"="TAI"
    "FriendlyName"="QualComm GpsOne Card, version 0.0"
    "InterfaceType"="POLL"
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\GPS Intermediate Driver\Drivers\GPSOneEmulate]
    "Filex"="\\windows\\GPSOneFileSimulation.txt"
    "FriendlyName"="QualComm GpsOne File, version 0.0"
    "InterfaceType"="File"
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\GPS Intermediate Driver\Drivers\GPSOnePort]
    "CommPort"="COM1:"
    "FriendlyName"="QualComm GpsOne Card, version 0.0"
    "InterfaceType"="COMM"
  4. Tyler Lillie

Tyler Lillie New Member

Hmmm.... See http://forum.xda-developers.com/archive/index.php/t-392266.html.
  5. CellZealot

CellZealot New Member

The Ozone I thought was a very good candidate to help us figure this out but it turns out that it has a 7250 chipset with Stand Alone support like the Napoleon.

We may still be able to glean some things from it given that it is WinMo 6.1 Standard, as opposed to all the other HTC solutions for the WinMoPro PPC devices.

So, it has a different chipset with enhanced capabilities and will have a different driver stack and registry as well as NVM configuration.
  6. CellZealot

CellZealot New Member

Well...the latest developments have shown that the VZW PDE server is no longer being authenticated and can be accessed by third party apps!

This does not mean we are home free and our long struggle is over...but it does remove one of the impediments.

I have been testing using the VZW PDE server again with some positive results...as in fewer error messages but still no fix.

More to come no doubt!
  7. larsdennert

At some point you can try priming the ephemeris data with one of the gps loaders I posted in the saga forum.

With the roms you are running are the cellids visible? If they are you should be able to get a rough location with google maps my location or have some figures in the about screen for myl.
  8. CellZealot

CellZealot New Member

I tried to install the Quick GPS cab but it failed with "Application is not intended for this device" error.

I would love to find some means of accelerating the ephemeris acquisition and yes, the CellID reports are visible in the logs.
  9. larsdennert

10. CellZealot

CellZealot New Member

The first one installs but errors when run with "SeaGEE2 or one of it's libraries not found Check the full path and file name and try again".

The second appears to be the same one I tried last night and fails installation.
  11. hachu

hachu New Member

I'm pretty sure cellid data and the gps data comes in from two completely different paths. I don't know if the cell ids are available on a Q9c.

We have ephemeris via the PDEs on the Q9c, so that's not an issue at the moment. The problem is having the Q9c's GPS chip see the satellites.

12. Asystole

Asystole New Member

Are there any hacks yet that will allow GPS for the Moto q9m by Verizon?????
  13. Weapondrift

Weapondrift New Member

im going to be a smart a$$ and say that I take it you havent read any of the threads on this have you?
  14. CellZealot

CellZealot New Member

I'd say that's a fairly accurate statement...:laugh2:
  15. Asystole

Asystole New Member

So, I take it your answer is no then. As for your question... Sorry, I don't have time to read through 182 pages just to find out that no one has created the hack yet for WM 6.0 Motoq 9m Verizon.
  16. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

the answer is no
  17. sceptor

sceptor New Member

Is it just me, or does anyone else mentally pronounce his screen name as Ast hole? :tounge:
  18. wnrussell

wnrussell Active Member

Project Update – Not feasible anymore

Sadly, after collectively spending countless hours and expending thousands of dollars, we have decided that the benefits of this project have been outweighed by the unknown amount of time to conclude it.

On Sunday, my latest hire, a Qualcomm Systems Engineer threw in the towel, after he accepted my job post listed here - http://www.devbistro.com/jobs/91948 and finally admitted that CellZealot had a better understanding of hacking the Q9c than he did.

The project began on Christmas Day of 2008 and has continued relentlessly for hours almost every day since then. At one point in April, we actually had the feature software lead for GPS on Q9c platform at Motorola on our team, and from the very beginning we had a Motorola hardware engineer on the team.

As much as I hate to walk away from volunteerism, in one sense it appears that the thread, with over 100,000 views was successful in that Verizon is now offering unlocked GPS on many of it’s smartphones, like TouchPro, Ozone and others to be released shortly. Perhaps the saddest point of writing this is the fact that the Motorola Q series as we know it has reached the end of life timeframe.

I would like to thank my very great friend CellZealot for his relentless pursuit of this project which began as what looked like a small favor, and then became a valiant, herculean challenge. I want to also thank DoctorQ2u and Hormazd for donating the test phones, MOTO MANIAC for assisting us in enabling the Q9n models with the standalone GPS, Hachu and Null for their brilliant analytical work, and for the countless hours spent by many others whom I can’t possibly list in this post.

Thanks again for reading and to those who participated.
  19. CellZealot

CellZealot New Member

I am trying to gather my thoughts about this whole incredible journey because, while I regretfully agree with wnrussell about the status of this project, I also find it impossible to simply walk away and say " Oh well...we tried!".

There are many people who need to be thanked and applauded and much explanation of the details and events that have gone on behind the scenes that I feel need to be made.

We came to this late in the game as it was and the length of time this has taken only serves to reduce the value and impact of doing this work for a legacy device like the Q9c/m.

I want to put all this in some perspective will be posting more shortly.

Just saying thanks feels rather hollow right now.
  20. wnrussell

wnrussell Active Member

Then tell me when you want to study the filestructure of the new HTC Ozone for Verizon and try to clone the unlocked GPS. It has Windows Mobile and would be an interesting experiment. I will buy one and see you tomorrow afternoon? :laugh2: