New Verizon GPS Fix

Discussion in 'Moto Q Hacks' started by wnrussell, Dec 22, 2008.

1. Conquistador

Conquistador New Member

I checked into that a while back, and I believe there are different "kitchens" for different phones. I couldn't find any for the Q9C. They're mostly used on device running WM PPC, not Smartphone... too bad for us...
  2. blackmeto

blackmeto Active Member

3. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

4. blackmeto

blackmeto Active Member

cool lemme know if i can help
  5. Weapondrift

Weapondrift New Member

if you can email me screen shots of that I would be most greatful
  6. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

i wont be able to load it on my Q but it will be available to you once i get it

-Sent from my Q9n
  7. blackmeto

blackmeto Active Member

i found a way to xtract the sprint update will that help
  8. blackmeto

blackmeto Active Member

http://rapidshare.com/files/181626594/sprint_update.rar.html

ANyBodY?
  9. Weapondrift

Weapondrift New Member

im not sure. You can post it and see if that willl help anyone else. Since im working in the regedit all i need to do is compare regedits.
  10. TimTheGreat

TimTheGreat New Member

I stumbled into this thread after trying to find a way to enable GPS on my Q (original Sprint, not Q9*). What I've found is the GPS functionality is apparently there, but not enabled. There are settings in the Field Test and Settings menus to control GPS. I know that this does not prove that GPS exists on the phone, but hear me out.

While investigating Android porting on the side, I found that the Q shares a common component with other phones. It shares the same CDMA radio as the HTC Apache and many others, the MSM 6500. It's a multi-purpose Qualcomm chip. One of its functions include GPS. One of the main reasons for including this feature is so people can find you if you call 911. There's evidence of the chipsets' GPS functions turning on during certain phone calls, but the primary issue is that nobody can switch it on for using GPS applications.

It seems like for at least the Q, there is no user-accessible way to activate the GPS unit aside from making bogus 911 calls (illegal, not trying it). It appears that while using Google Maps and Field Test apps, they use WM5's GPSID to query the GPS unit but get null data back. That's my theory anyway, since I see all zeros and n/a values but no errors.

It sounds like we all need a low-level way to trigger the feature in these Qualcomm chips. Unfortunately, you've all heard this before, but I have no reverse engineering skill. :frown:

So please, don't ignore the Q, or any other modern smartphone for that matter. Most have some type of Qualcomm chip or another that has this feature. Once someone figures out how to switch them on, the floodgates will open.

ADD: I'll try to dig up the links I found with all this info upon request.

ADD2: Well I'll be damned. The info in this thread is a lot better than anything I have to offer. Didn't see it at first. I'll follow it from now on.
  11. wnrussell

wnrussell Active Member

Has anyone tried to install VZ Navigator and then compare the registry and folder contents before and afterward?

Weapondrift, were you able to discover the GPS dll files and keys when doing that on the Sprint GPS comparison?
  12. CellZealot

CellZealot New Member

Are you certain that the Q9c is a MSM6500 chipset?

The Q9 A4500 Napoleon that I have is definitely not MSM6500 it's a MSM6800. This will almost certainly impact any findings we develop for the Napoleon as they wont necessarily apply across different chipsets.
  13. wnrussell

wnrussell Active Member

What is significance of chipset, when none of the VZ Q phones have GPS enabled? The lock has to be similar, or is most likely to. Seems to be a Verizon special lock.
  14. CellZealot

CellZealot New Member

It may, indeed, have no impact, but I am just trying to establish and isolate any variables related to chipset type because I am working on this with a rather unique phone and want to be certain that whatever is developed will apply to other Q9 models.

The only way I know to be certain is to setup Hardware Virtual Serial Port and connect the phone to QPST, which identifies all connected phones by their chipset because it is QualComm service software and that is the primary delimiting factor regarding access to the phone for their purposes, not the phone model or manufacturer.
  15. wnrussell

wnrussell Active Member

Get it working on our Q9n phones first! There are many others in the group who will test the hack on the other models.

Oh, here is more news about Motorola cutbacks coming this week. Looks like no more WinMo development:
    http://www.phonescoop.com/news/item.php?n=3804
  16. CellZealot

CellZealot New Member

After successfully flashing the new firmware I will continue testing and report any new developments.
  17. wnrussell

wnrussell Active Member

Thanks, kbMan. Here is what we have looking at WLS on the Q9n, which we need to extract onto the other Q models for Verizon. The latest hack is going to be a combination of what is out there already on the MoDaCo hack and the contributions we have gotten since this project started.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  18. brandon.roeder

brandon.roeder New Member

So..when can we expect this hack to be released?
  19. wnrussell

wnrussell Active Member

When it is ready for prime time, and you don't have to be a software engineer to understand it.
  20. Conquistador

Conquistador New Member

Perhaps I missed something, but what new firmware?