New Verizon GPS Fix

Discussion in 'Moto Q Hacks' started by wnrussell, Dec 22, 2008.

1. wnrussell

wnrussell Active Member

2. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

i vote that you try :}
  3. sherri

sherri Active Member

I second that motion.....
  4. Boycan

Boycan New Member

5. wnrussell

wnrussell Active Member

6. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

psst, my location isn't really aGPS as it doesn't involve a GPS on the phone.
  7. wnrussell

wnrussell Active Member

Well, wiki.xda-developers.com calls it a Verizon AGPSFix, I am just really upset after figuring that out and posting the screen shots in the Napoleon thread (in Future Phones) this weekend. I can assure you this will be deployed on the Q, same as for the HTC phone but the same principles will apply if I'm understanding it.

It looks like VZ Navigator will be working also.
  8. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

and it should be. While I understand the reasoning behind locking the GPS to VZ nav; us at sprint and those at ATT have theirs unlocked, why should Verizon be different?
  9. wnrussell

wnrussell Active Member

This is like the Bluetooth and the WiFi also.

1. Verizon wanted to lock down Bluetooth in 2004 so they could collect 25 cents per picture on VZWPIX. $$

2. Verizon locks down WiFi and requires mandatory data plans on PDAs so that users can't just pay for voice and enjoy data on home or public connections. $$

3. Verizon locks down GPS so it can collect money for VZ Navigator instead. $$

There ought to be a law, but we could never get one past lobbyists $$.
  10. I8qbert

I8qbert Active Member

free capital system. if you don't like the big v's policies use another service...no wait we should have laws that tell you which service to use and more laws to tell the services what they can and can't do and we should all have a Volkswagen.
  11. wnrussell

wnrussell Active Member

12. Weapondrift

Weapondrift New Member

ok, so gave it a try.
    1) after installing the first .cab it disappeared. Found it and am not procedding with step one. Stay tuned.

2) while icon is running "Radio Offline Failed" is appearing -???- click "OK"
    3) device will restart on its own.
    4) changing chip settings and baud settings an error has occured "Launch EPST Fail!!" (lol why so many exclamation points :p)
    5)ok, open HTC navigation check Log NMEA
    COM9
    baudrate 4800
    open Port and it should work.
    6) have gone no further with this since I know of nothing else to do :/
  13. i4get75

i4get75 New Member

Well at least one carrier is getting a fix. How about a US Cellular Q9c...really dumb to have GPS disabled and nothing else to offer.
  14. brandon.roeder

brandon.roeder New Member

We don't have a fix yet :D
  15. Wizzer

Wizzer New Member

I've tried all that crap. Finally broke down and ordered VZNav. I thought maybe with VZNav activated, I could use other progs (google maps, etc) with it. Nope...only works with VZNav and that is it!

I've got like 3 phones I need to switch between to get the features I want.
  16. wnrussell

wnrussell Active Member

Don't give up so fast. I just met with a programmer (hacker) this morning and this fix is very doable on the Q to enable GPS for Live Search and other GPS programs.

What is the full URL for the "Download VZ Navigator" page? I must have deleted the Verizon home page from my device when I changed the default. We need the link you get to and the file that comes to the phone when you follow the instructions on this page.

http://vznavigator.vzw.com/app.html

http://mobile.vzwapp.com isn't working for me the way I have the phone set up right now.

Edit: This site was down on Christmas day, or overloaded.
  17. wnrussell

wnrussell Active Member

You were right. This fix is for Verizon Touch Pro only. It will stay that way until lllboredlll can research other devices and their radio functions.

Follow this HowardForums thread, as the GPS unlock is being extended to cover the Q. http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1475223&page=2

When it is done, we will post a "Guide to Hacking GPS" that everyone with some computer savvy can follow.
  18. Weapondrift

Weapondrift New Member

ok, i actually have been playing around with Google maps and IIIboredIII's .cab file. I changed my settings for the baudrate to 4800 and went through all of the ports manually with no results. Im going to try to use my BT and see if I can use GMaps "track location" via my Btooth.

I did however learn some interesting things tho. When I installed IIIboredIII's .cab and used regedit to go to windows\ppst\.exe i noticed that the curser wheel would appear and rotate. On scrren the words Without this bing an HTC i wasnt sure what "prompts" I was supposed to click. When i clicked the center button it would ask me if I wanted to update. I said yes and then a soft reset would occur.

I installed the HTC satelitte AFTER performing a *228 however opening this causes a soft reset each time. I will go back and look at this again.
  19. txter

txter New Member

so, this hack is supposed to be for an original Q, right...? a Q1.
  20. Weapondrift

Weapondrift New Member

Originally it was meant for the HTC touch however since they are cabinet files they download appropriatly on the Q. You can try with your original Q if you want but I recommend backing up all of your contacts just in case it locks up.