new verizon email and web plan for Q9M

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9m' started by jskinvest, Apr 14, 2008.

1. jskinvest

jskinvest New Member

new verizon email and web plan for Q9M

Verizon announced today a new email and web plan just for the Q9M and two other smartphones. It is $30.00 a month. Here is a link:

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/Documents/VZWSmartphone.pdf

Besides price, does anybody know how this email application is different than the one that we all have now on the q9m? Thanks.
  2. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

3. capo8488

capo8488 New Member

isnt that the same price they have if you have an unlimited data plan with a blackberry? and also, would they credit the customers back who pay 44.99?
  4. n99hockey

yes its the same price
    good luck getting them to credit you :tounge:

i have called twice and no one has heard of the plans yet!
  5. capo8488

capo8488 New Member

everytime i have something wrong with a verizon phone...and the first rep cant help...hang up...threatin to cancel the phone service..they will bend over backwards for you...=)
  6. kbluna

kbluna New Member

It is only personal email and data, no exchange or company email. If you would like to post questions, I will find out more details tomorrow.
  7. n99hockey

there is already an extensive thread about it
    (the one i posted)
    try to keep all conversations about it there as to not confuse other members
  8. supahrob

supahrob New Member

Thank you!!

Hey, thanks for the heads up on this! I had to call twice, but I am now on this plan (never needed "push" OR "tether")

Take care,
    Rob
  9. n99hockey

and you have a Q9m?
  10. supahrob

supahrob New Member

Yep :)

Take care,
    Rob
  11. dcforlife

dcforlife New Member

has anybody been able to use the mobile email? i keep getting a message saying im not authorized to use this service.
  12. FrankFi

FrankFi New Member

I too am getting the same error message from the new mobile email client (the Oz application), despite the fact that I am on the new plan. Verizon says it should work, and bounced me to Motorola who, of course, said nothing is wrong with the phone.

So I am stuck too.

- Frank
  13. n99hockey

oz messanger is a sprint app
    i dont think it will work on the 9m

-Sent from my Q
  14. FrankFi

FrankFi New Member

Verizon is advertizing the app for the Q9M at http://solutions.vzwshop.com/vzstart/emailandweb/ and it indeed loads and runs on my Q9M, but it won't connect to Hotmail - that's when I get the "not authorized to use this service" message. The app is Mobile Email, Powered by OZ, version 3.0.1.7.

But, I am thinking you may know more than Verizon about this app, as even though their phone support people swear it should work, their tech guy at the local shop couldn't get any of his four different PDAs to connect with it either! Maybe they are shipping a Sprint app!

- Frank
  15. n99hockey

i was thinking of the OZ Instant Messaging app for the sprint phones
    i didnt know they made an email client for the Q9

why would you use this not and not set up something directly on the device?
  16. FrankFi

FrankFi New Member

Good question, and here's my long-winded answer :):

First, let me say that I have an extensive background with all this stuff, having worked on it at Microsoft for many years some time ago. So, I am happy to play around with everything. That's part of the motivation for loading it. But, I do have a real problem too...

I use hotmail as my non-work email. Like many, I was dissapointed that the Q9M didn't come with the built-in Windows Live (WL) client - the hotmail/messenger one, not the one for search - that other WM6 devices have. So, I loaded the WL client from the XDA forums that alot of people use. But, that client has given me nothing but trouble. I get weird error messages from it, and it causes me to lose my internet connection at times, and I have to turn the phone off and on to connect with any app, such as IE or my work mail. I know the XDA WL client is the cause of this because after I uninstall it, I have no issues with errors or the internet connection.

So, if I can't use the XDA WL client reliably, I need another alternative. I can just use pocket IE and connect to the mobile version of hotmail.com, but that isn't as nice as using a client for many reasons. Microsoft has apparently released another version of the Windows Live client for download recently (see http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/mobile/wl/download-en-us.mspx), but the download there have been off-line since the first time I looked at it (any chance someone else grabbed this and can post it somewhere?). That leaves me with the Verizon app, which doesn't work either.

So for now, I am stuck with hotmail over pIE, a lousy solution. But thanks for giving me the opportunity to vent.

- Frank
  17. n99hockey

cant you set it up as IMAP or POP?
    (i dont use hotmail on the Q so im just throwing out suggestions)
  18. FrankFi

FrankFi New Member

Hotmail turned off their POP access a few years ago. I don't think they ever had IMAP, but if they did, that is off too. Hotmail uses HTTP for their client/server protocol, and very few third party Windows CE/Mobile clients have ever supported that protocol (even Outlook on the PC doesn't do it natively; you have to load a plug-in from Microsoft). I don't know of any hotmail clients that run on the Q9M other than the ones I mentioned in my previous post. But maybe someome else will chime in.

I don't even know what the Oz app does - it may just show web pages for all I know, but since I can't run it, I can't find out!

- Frank
  19. benvfr

benvfr New Member

Any screen shots? or does this just add another inbox to the device?
  20. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

There are some here....:smile: