New User Guidance

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9n' started by MOTOrin, Dec 12, 2010.

1. MOTOrin

MOTOrin New Member

Hello all who visit, I am starting this new thread in an attempt to collectivize and summarize the vast knowledge of all the great minds (who I'll list some of shortly) that I want pick about the best practices, essential softwares\fixes, hottest tips\tricks\tweaks, spare parts holders, etc.; I realize that this information is likely posted in other areas (because I have read most of the threads entirely here and @ hofo) and I don't want to seem impatient or not willing to do my own research, however cutting through to the bone is the job of a butcher and there are several master carvers here.

I have, wanted a Nap for about 2 years, done extensive reading\research, my third degree in technology, professionally worked with industry leading telecom equipment and service providers, over 20+ personal computing and 15+ years professional enterprise computing experience and so I feel very comfortable in saying that I can handle it, so hit me.

The scenario: I have purchased two Naps (both are 3.2s, one US (B) & one China (?) in VZW db as a test device). I intend to use both AT&T (regular) and TMO for (prepaid) voice and VZW for (prepaid) data services; US is presently setup for TMO and looks like it could use new chrome trim. I want GPS w/o call interruption and monthly charge, bluetooth data tethering, and while I am deadset against purchasing sw, if I do I must see a significant benefit or absolutely necessary feature.

If you knew then what you know now ....

Q9Nap
    jhalsey205
    MOTO MANIAC
    Aixelsyd
    Q-Area51
    CellZealot
    andrey
    wnrussell
    Rick7753
    GoldMembr
    modmymoto
  2. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

GPS will only work in CDMA mode
  3. MOTOrin

MOTOrin New Member

Thank you very much for that nugget - I hadn't read that; where might you see that I would best benefit by visiting certain points for more treasure such as this. There was no slight intended by not having included you in the list of names in my initial post, and please contact any you feel that would like to assist or influence a new user and ask for, on my behalf, their input (obviously I would be extremely grateful and deeply indebted to you).
  4. n99hockey

Its burried in the Q9n threads. All the info you need is there, most, if not all of those members you listed dont frequent the forum any long since WM6 is more or less dead
  5. MOTOrin

MOTOrin New Member

I understand; I had a Q9h and then went to a Nexus One and can't say it was a delightful experience, then to a V9x but I can't stand the lack of a physical keypad. Plus the fact I'm a tinkerer. I'll be reading a great deal more and saving numerous post links it appears. Can you comment on any significant roadblocks you have encountered that I might want to anticipate?
  6. n99hockey

No, I haven't had any. Aside from no GPS on GSM Networks.
  7. MOTOrin

MOTOrin New Member

Scott,

Not just because you're apparently the only one left to ask, but also you likely are aware - is there any information somewhere for some assembly\disassembly instructions at all (I have the Manual but that's obviously inadequate from a techie standpoint)?

THX
    DAB
  8. n99hockey

I have a link for the original Q on my Youtube page, not sure how different it is for any of the other Q's
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=st1iKhfIXWk