New to Windows Mobile 7

Discussion in 'Windows Phone 7' started by Art Verno Jr, Nov 19, 2010.

1. Art Verno Jr

Art Verno Jr New Member

Hello
    I am a Android and Iphone 4 user now. I am looking at the Windows 7 mobile phones. I am thinking on heading out very soon to maybe purchase a W7 phone from my AT&T store. From what I was reading, the Focus is my best bet? Am I correct? Also I run a Windows PC, Vista. What can I download now to get my system ready for my new W7 phone? Do I need active sync or anything like that? Any info or advise I would appreciate!

Art
  2. chris

chris Administrator Staff Member

Art, it sounds like you're a phone guy, so you'll have no problem getting up and running with Windows Phone 7. IMHO, the Samsung Focus is the best of the lot. I normally like HTC phones, but the display on the Focus is the killer feature. Overall build quality of the phone could be better, but it's fast and has a great display.

You'll need a Windows Live account and Zune software to sync your music.
  3. Art Verno Jr

Art Verno Jr New Member

Thank You Chris
    I will now Download Zune software. So even thought I dont own a Zune unit, I still need the software for the Focus? I have a Hot Mail account/MSN account. I dont know if I have Windows Live on my PC. I have been out of touch from Microsoft for some time. Been playing with Apple and the Iphone, then my Droid X. Both are Jailbroken. Now I will soon explore the W7 phones and see if they are any better then the W6 units I used to operate. I remember Windows Mobile used to freeze up on me.
  4. pinoyken

pinoyken New Member

I agree with Chris.....my previous two phones were both HTC, but I went with the Focus instead of the Surround not only because of the screen, but are you really going to walk around with a phone that has a slide out speaker?
  5. Art Verno Jr

Art Verno Jr New Member

Can the Focus accept a SD card and what size does it come with, if any.
  6. chris

Yes, but only some are "Windows 7 Certified", so to speak. Some work, some don't. There are a couple of threads with people's experiences. Right now, I'm using a SanDisk 32GB. The first time I used it, I had terrible luck. This time around, things have been ok. I'm not out of the woods yet.

Also, once you format a card in a WP7 phone, the only way to format it for use in another device is to use a Nokia phone.
  7. Art Verno Jr

Art Verno Jr New Member

I just went out and purchased the Samsung Focus. I have my MSN mail setup. I was wondering if the MSN mail is pushed or will the phone pull mail every hour or 15 minutes or whatever I set it up? I was hoping it uses push email? My android uses push for its gmail, is the focus the same for msn or hotmail?
  8. chris

You can set intervals for checking mail. Go to Settings > Email > Download New Content.
  9. NaplesBill

NaplesBill Member

It does support push. Just change the "Download new content" setting to "as items arrive." You will find this setting under settings, email and accounts, then Windows Live.
    chris likes this.
  10. Mylemsky

Mylemsky New Member

Hey guys,
    New to the forum. All the info on here is great. I have been an iPhone user for about 5 yrs. and a Mac user for 7. I am due for a phone update in Feb., I was on the fence, this forum has convinced me to make the switch to WP7 and back to PC.
    Considering I am coming from Mac OS and iPhone, and making the switch on both ends, and since I will to need to establish a Windows Live account for contacts, do you recommend I not even spend time and money on Outlook and just go full bore contact, email, calender, on Windows Live? Also, if I have multiple email accounts on WinLive, (I think you can do that) will I have multiple tiles on WP7 for those respective accounts?

Perhaps I am unclear of the function of WLive and Outlook.

Thank you for the direction.

Myles.
  11. jab119

jab119 Member

Welcome.... first off you really have no need for Outlook, unless you really want it. You can download the Windows Live Apps, like the Live Mail, messenger and others for free from MS and tie those to your Live ID. You can create a live account in one of several ways.
    1. Create a brand new account with a brand new hotmail address.
    2. Use an existing email address as your Live ID.
    I have my own domain and will keep it until i no longer need the internet, so I just used my primary email address to create the Live ID. I dont want to manage a Hotmail account so just using my own. I also have mine set up as an IMAP account so when I delete from the phone, i wont see it on my PC and vice versa.

I just left the iPhone for WP7 and love it. There is a bit of a learning curve getting used to the phone and to the Zune Software. The Zune software is decent, but..... its not iTunes.

You will set up each email account as an individual account and will have a tile for each. I dont think there is a "unified" mail box like what apple does where all your email is in one bucket on the phone.

James
  12. Mylemsky

Mylemsky New Member

James,
    Great info, thank you.

Happy to hear that mail accounts have separate tiles and IMAP function.

Looking forward to WP7.
  13. windowscurious

windowscurious New Member

Hi guys,

Another ex-iPhone person considering a switch. I love the Win 7 OS. Just a few questions:

Does it push email for gmail?
    I know it doesn't multitask but what about alarms for to do apps?
    I own only Macs. Can I put movies on the phone and backup app purchases?

Thanks for your help.
  14. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

15. windowscurious

Thanks for the response. So I can't sync movies as of yet, what about placing them on the SD card? (I know - I gotta buy a "Windows approved" one). Or will it only play movies transferred via Zune? I thought Windows 7 had a Mac compatible desktop interface that let you transfer non-DRM music and movies? Music I don't care so much about because I use a Nano for the gym (really the only place I listen to music), but I'd like to watch movies on the device.
  16. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

Short of "jailbreaking", currently, the only way to get a movie to the phone or sd card is through the Zune software. You can't really use the sd card as a removable storage. Once you install one, it's part of the internal storage and cannot be removed freely. There is Mac compatible Zune software, but I am not really sure at what stage it is in it's development. I just know that it currently provides limited functionality.
  17. windowscurious

That really sucks, but coming from an iPhone I guess it's not anything I'm not used to.
  18. RobR

RobR Member

The more I use my HD7 the more I don't enjoy using my iPhone, can't wait until June so I can upgrade to WP7 full time. My App list is getting long now, I hope MS doesn't add folders as that is so not Metro style but what would be nice is cascading categories in the App list with the ability to ad sub categories. Basically have the up\down icons to the left so that you can expand and contract each category list. Or perhaps categories across the top for side swiping like in the Hubs.
  19. windowscurious

I really want to switch to this platform but the limitations make me wary. That you can't even email videos from the phone sounds like a crazy omission in 2010. I know updates are supposedly on the way but do we even know if the updates will hit all the phones at the same time or will it be like an ANdroid thing where it seeps out to different devices?
  20. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

MS promised a timely update to all phones. And supposedly, the carriers can only hold updates up to the next push. You won't see fragmentation like you do from Android, because all devices must adhere to strict MS minimum hardware requirements to efficiently run the OS.