New Scent

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Vazguard, Dec 20, 2008.

1. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

You're loosin it bro...
  2. mike250rs

mike250rs New Member

it' the holidays...felt like being extra nice. Figured I owed her that for not blocking me (yet) :p
  3. oneeyed_q

oneeyed_q New Member

So I'm late to this thread (don't know how I missed it). Couple thoughts, my dad has recently turned into a vegan (foods only). He did this not because he doesnt like the thought of eating some poor little animal but because the doc said if you dont we will have to start amputating limbs and such. Needless to say that woke him up and he has started to eat only veggies. Now when you are used to eating anything and everything you get bored with veggies quickly so you start trying different things, he's tried bean curd something another from the chinese restaraunt nearby, and he will be trying tofu turkey for christmas (I'll try some to let yall know how it is). For some its not a lifestyle choice but a necessity for health (my dad is diabetic, and was having probelms from clogged arteries and stuff). He's been doing this for about 6 months and has lost 30lbs and the doc has told him he has saved himself at least 1 amputation.

2nd thought Sheri arent you Jewish? Yet the pork bacon...I'm confused. Funny story with this, was with a friend in Chicago, we walked into a dunkin donuts and he asked do you guys have pigs in a blanket? I just about died because we knew going in that it was a kosher establishment in a Jewish neighborhood (right across from a synagogue/school). Needless to say I denied knowing him.

Last random thought, reading about pig parts and bacon reminded me, anyone here like scrapple? I love that stuff!

Edit: sorry for the novel...
  4. sherri

sherri Active Member

Scrapple is gross (no offense!)

I am Jewish, but not orthodox. I do not keep kosher. My synagogue is "reform", which is the most liberal and modern form of Judaism. I also don't observe Sabbath the way Orthodox Jews do...they won't drive/turn on lights/carry money...
  5. oneeyed_q

oneeyed_q New Member

Hey to each thier own, I love it, siblings love it, nieces and nephew love it but my mom hates it.

Gotcha as I said I was just confused. I never knew about the last part...I knew the Sabbath was strict but sheesh not turning on lights...
  6. shaun0207

shaun0207 New Member

I hate BK food! Yuck.

who the hell would wanna smell like a burger?
  7. shaun0207

shaun0207 New Member

heard bout it on the radio this morning and was cracking up
  8. Vazguard

Vazguard Active Member

Random fact: Actually, Reform is the oldest modern form of Judaism, but is indeed one of the more forward-thinking. That's what I am too, and I only eat "kosher-style," that is, I don't eat any pig except pepperoni on pizza lol. I usually don't mix meat and cheese either, but if it happens I'm not going to refuse the food. So I'm halfway I guess.
  9. dafoxs

dafoxs New Member

Yeaaaaaaaaaa Baby
  10. dafoxs

dafoxs New Member

IHOP does wonders with scapple.
  11. Tech.erella

Tech.erella New Member

You can't carry money during that sabbath? How is that even possible to do?
  12. sherri

sherri Active Member

My Temple isn't even Kosher! (The catering hall, which is owned my a separate company, is, but the Tempe itself - and the Rabbis) are not Kosher! In fact, after Michael's Bar Mitzvah, he is continuing with Hebrew High School (4 different temples get together/more social than anything else..), but their first meeting was a dinner meeting at a restaurant called Bertucci's (it's a chain, but don't know exactly where they are located...)Obviously, it was not kosher. Sort of kosher style...no milk and meat (a la pepperoni on pizza....), but there was pizza on the same tables as the chicken marsala...

I buy turkey pepperoni for my sister (doesn't eat red meat...)That is pretty good!

Hey, Vaz, weren't you eating EBI in one of your sushi lunches? Get sort of an exemption for shellfish?:tounge:
  13. sherri

sherri Active Member

The Orthodox don't. They don't drive, so they walk to temple. Then after synogogue, they usually go to their own house or a friends house for lunch...Anything that is "hot" has been prepared and kept warm. They will not open the refrigerator, because light go on...Many have removed the lightbulbs...New stoves are made with "Sabbath" settings, so the lights won't go on. No buttons can be pressed on the stove, so they rely on a "blecht", which is a sort of screen going over the range, to keep food warm. Again, many stoves have warming drawers.

I used to teach in an orthodox school. My friends were all religous. They set up crock-pots with food on Friday, before sundown, let it cook on low all night (remember---they can't touch the electricity---lights were on timers/some kept nightlights on...), and had it for lunch the next day...

Sabbath ends with sundown on Saturday. Modern orthodox are funny (like my friends...).One year, when I was pregnant, we went skiing in Vermont with them. They left Thursday night, so they could get in the day of skiing on Friday. We didn't get up there until Friday night, as Richard worked for someone else, and we are not orthodox. Saturday morning, Richard went skiing by himself, and I was left in the house with my friends....they couldn't even turn on the tv...but it was fine if I did!

I was like the house "gentile" (non-Jew)...Turned on lights so one of them could study for medical school exams, changed channels, etc! :tounge:
  14. Tech.erella

Tech.erella New Member

haha, that's hilarious! Thanks for the info Sherri!
  15. Phiiilly

Phiiilly New Member

"Hahahhahahahah wtf?"

The stuff they come out with.
    :happy:
  16. oneeyed_q

oneeyed_q New Member

Bertucci's is top 3 pizza for me if you have never had it, TRY IT its great stuff. Considering Bertucci's is italian and sausage is one of thier top pizza's i guess it wouldnt be kosher.
  17. mike250rs

mike250rs New Member

I guess if you was desperate enough, splash some on and hit up a weight watchers meeting
  18. sherri

sherri Active Member

^^^Have had it many times! Richard's favorite is the "Sporkie" (meatball/sausage/and ricotta cheese)Pizza. I could never be Kosher...I like lobster and shrimp too much!!!:laugh2:

^^^Now that is funny!!!:tounge:
  19. oneeyed_q

oneeyed_q New Member

MMMM I'm with ya there...I particularly enjoy the neoplotin pizzas, instead of grated cheese its the fresh mozzarella just melted down onto the pizza, then I get them to add italian sausage...mmm mmm mmm thats some good eats right there :laugh2:
  20. Vazguard

Vazguard Active Member

Yeah, it was. Like I said, "kosher-style" lol.