New Saga Patch/Upgrade/Fix? Release date says Martch 31,2010

Discussion in 'Samsung Saga' started by manbat, Apr 10, 2010.

1. manbat

manbat Active Member

2. bpatt

bpatt New Member

Not sure what it brings either but just did the upgrade successfully. Saga seems very happy. Give me a few days use with it.
  3. manbat

manbat Active Member

Was your GPS active.....
  4. bpatt

bpatt New Member

Ok, I like this upgrade very much. Few things:

CDMA coverage is improved (for me). Normal 1-2 bars is now 2-4 in the same places.

Improved battery life - first time ever I got to the end of the day with over 50% available on the extended battery. I really think that the improved reception is making the difference here.

Interface just seems snappier - I was getting the spinning windows colorwheel (mobile hourglass, I think) all the time under the previous version. Don't see this nearly as often.

I like it. Worth it in my opinion.
  5. EQBob

EQBob New Member

My Saga is at i770:10.V.CE07.20961 (ROM Versiin under Settings, System, Version)
    Is this an update to that? Haven't been able to tell from anything on-line.
    Is there a listing anywhere of what the upgrade does?
  6. bpatt

bpatt New Member

Yes, the upgrade changes the Version to S:i770.10 V.DB05.20961.

I have found several minor improvements personally - seems faster, much better signal strength for me, which improved my battery use dramatically.

Sorry so long to respond - just noticed your questions.
  7. manbat

manbat Active Member

I finally got around to doing this upgrade....I thought I had the newest version already...I didn't. I'm going to have my Saga active for a while so....I did the Upgrade...I'll report any inprovements. It's mentioned above that battery life is better....Hope so...lol
  8. manbat

manbat Active Member

My Sprite Backup file didn't restore everything...Did a Level 2 merge. Having to do a few of my hacks back, Also had to re-install a few things...Bluetooth icon, gps toggle, gps info. Had to re-enter resco Keys. Also re-create a few SBP mobile shell shortcuts.....not to bad.. back up and running now.
  9. EQBob

EQBob New Member

Thanks for the info. Upgrade in progress now <G>
  10. EQBob

EQBob New Member

Everything is almost back and working perfectly. I upgraded the firmware, AIM, Google mobile app, and Spb Mobile shell in the process. SPB still doens't fully restore everything correctly from your settings. My contacts screen was messed up, the background was wrong, several shortcuts no loner worked and has to be re-established, etc. However, those were all pretty quick fixes. The latest shell FINALLY has smaller icons for all email stuff.

Only thing not working is ISS Essentials. I reinstalled, but it says the trial has expired and enter the key but there has never been a key for that suite of programs?? Have contacted Handango and ISS.

Overall, phone appears a little more snappy, and have definately noticed a reduction in the hourglass situation. Memory appears to be more stable as well. I *think* they fixed that annoying bug in text messaging where the numlock getting getting stuck on. havne't texted enough to know for sure.
  11. keeleyt83

keeleyt83 New Member

Should I get this ROM?

Hi,

I recently bought a used Saga with an older ROM (s:i770.10 v.bj18.20276). I've read a lot of horror stories about people upgrading in June of last year and their phones getting bad reception, having to mark all text messages as read from the same person, etc. My question is: should I get this ROM? Did they fix any of the issues that I listed above? Am I still better off with the old one? Thanks.
  12. bpatt

bpatt New Member

Always a trade-off, in my opinion. It gets to a point where you hate the issue that the upgrade resolves, and you become willing to 'test' the known new issues others are telling you about.

In my case, the clearing of text messages individually is annoying, but something I prefer to live with in exchange for a faster, better overall phone experience. I typically do not upgrade just because I can - I wait until I'm comfortable its the best move for me to take. The latest update improved my reception significantly - which is paramount for me when it comes to a phone. Hope this helps.
  13. keeleyt83

keeleyt83 New Member

I agree with you. I was just checking to see if any of the issues people were having with the June 09 ROM were fixed by this recent one. There was a lot of talking after the June 09 ROM, but not much after this one.
  14. bpatt

bpatt New Member

Yep, I remember. I think its likely that many have since moved from the Saga to other phones. Android platform, iphones, etc. I've considered it but am lazy so here I am, happy, with another albeit quiet update. :dft012:wink
  15. keeleyt83

keeleyt83 New Member

That's what I had figured. I like to stay one step behind those folks, so I can buy their oldish-new devices. :)

You should check this out if you weren't already aware of it:

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1593646

1200 min, 1200 texts, 50mb data, and on verizon towers for $29.95 or less. The only drawback is the crappy customer service, but once you get going, you shouldn't need it. This plan was why I bought my Saga.

Well I guess I will do the update. I'm hoping the benefits outweigh the negative effects. Thanks for your input.
  16. bpatt

bpatt New Member

Pass but thanks...
  17. notoriousB

notoriousB New Member

Thanks for posting about this update. I'm not a fan of this phone but am stuck with it until February. I'll be trying this out in the next few days, just need to see if i can get my RSA key software set back up without impacting my ability to work remotely!
  18. keeleyt83

keeleyt83 New Member

I've had the update for a few weeks and I haven't had any issues with it. I went straight from a stock ROM to this one. Here's my take on it:

Pros:
    1. Phone feels a little faster. It's like they eeeked a little more power from the device. Everything is noticeably a hair faster.
    2. Touch seems a little more responsive. You can also finger-scroll.
    3. GPS unlock works like a charm.

Cons
    1. You have to view each SMS message in a conversation once. For example, your wife sends you 2 messages before you check your phone. You click on the conversation between you and your wife, and reply. You then have to go back to that conversation to read the last message.
    2. There doesn't seem like an easy way to resend failed SMS messages. I used to get a notification with an option to resend. That option is gone now. It may be due to my configuration, but I don't think so (I disabled sent notifications; success and failure).

Unchanged
    1. Reception. My reception seems the same. Maybe marginally better, in my area, but almost the same.
    2. Battery life. I still get a little more than 3 days from my Saga, using manual synching, with light SMS, call, and internet usage. It didn't seem to change for me.

Worth it, IMO. Be sure to back up first. I use SPB Backup. Good luck.
  19. EQBob

EQBob New Member

I also have been using this for a few weeks. I had the previous update and this has resolved some items. The items related to the text messages came in on the previous update and have not been fixed in this one. I have not seen the issue related to failed sent messages. I rarely have a fail, but when I do, I can resend.

I have not played with the GPS on this release. Did the interim update and quickly determined, that *for me*, the use of the GPS was nothing more than a gimmick and a battery hog. It provides me nothing other than telling me where I already know that I am. I did notice that on this release / combined with the latest Goggle Maps, that the Google positioning seems to be much better. Shortly after doing the upgrade, I was sitting in a building in a city 2 hours away from mine, and Google maps told me where I was and what building I was in. I instantly checked to make sure my GPS was off and it was.

Touch does seem a bit more response. No metrics to stand on. Finger scroll has been there, at least in Spb Mobile Shell.

My battery life is about the same. Interesting enough, the Spb Essentials, which includes a battery meter that I like, is now far more accurate in displaying the actual battery charge. Prior to this update, it stayed at 100% until the battery dropped to 50% OR, you actually went to the battery meter under Settings, then it would display correctly. This update seems to have fixed this glitch.

Most annoying thing was remembering how to uncheck the default use me as browser in Opera. What a crappy program that thing is. Screen does so my gyrations and none of them make any sense from what you were trying to do. But I digress.

I guess the back-up stuff is good if you don't have Exchange. Since I do, all my contacts are in there. I don't worry about backing it up, because what's the use? Just re-sync it. I also keep the cab files of any installed programs on my card and simply reinstall. Resetting up my phone without a backup takes me 15-20 minutes. Well worth it to get everything clean over a backup which is just going to restore junk into the registry, etc.

Just one person's opinions--and I'm sure there are many who will disagree with me.

I still love my Saga, 19 months after getting it. I have no need/desire for anything else right now. I still love having a keyboard. I suppose I will go to the iPhone once it comes to Verizon, but for now, I'm perfectly satisfied.
  20. EQBob

EQBob New Member

I have actually never had a problem with Verizon's customer service. They've always been exceptionally helpful and done exactly what they or I neede them to do.