New ROM

Discussion in 'Samsung Saga' started by Brent372, Apr 29, 2009.

1. MyPhoneIsBlue

MyPhoneIsBlue New Member

There were some theories of a may 11th release for the omnia rom.

Did they fix the fn lock in sms?
  2. pat_the_cat

pat_the_cat New Member

I heard that May 11 date on a WM Experts podcast, I think. They were skeptical though. I am hopeful lol
  3. larsdennert

larsdennert Active Member

4. jmorisey

jmorisey New Member

Todays the 11th... lets watch it come and go in disappointment.
  5. pat_the_cat

pat_the_cat New Member

LOL...I am keeping the faith at least for a few hours today...
  6. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

Would this automatically be downloaded onto the phone? or is there somewhere we would need to get it from? When it is finally released.
  7. blackmeto

blackmeto Active Member

most likely have to flash the phones ourselves
  8. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

Now i just have to learn how to flash lol.
  9. Q-Area51

Q-Area51 Guest

Ya already know...ya just don't know ya know...ya know? Really...all you have to do is follow the directions and the 'puter and phone will do the rest. :) -Q
    (2 U from my Q9Nap)
  10. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

Cool, now lets all keep our fingers crossed that it comes out today.
  11. pat_the_cat

pat_the_cat New Member

still waiting.....
  12. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

and waiting...
  13. EQBob

EQBob New Member

how do you flash a phone?
  14. Q-Area51

Q-Area51 Guest

R U really serious, Bob??? Glad to help if'n U R. :) -Q
  15. EQBob

EQBob New Member

Yes. I've never done it. Have never had a need to. I tend to have a different viewpoint of my phone than many, in that I need it to be rock solid for work, email, etc. I tend to not get too "crazy" with it, such as playing around in the registry much, etc. I understand it, but don't feel the need to do much "extra" to it past programs. That's solely *my* opinion and is *not* meant to dissuade, stop, prohibit, insult, panic, belittle, (or any other adjective that may come to mind) folks that want to do that. I am *not* trying to argue that point or even discuss it. Y'all do what you want.

With that as my premable to fend off the inevitable attacks for something I never said or even implied, I was perfectly serious and I have no clue how to flash a phone.
  16. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

This is the response i got from Q area 51 "Ya already know...ya just don't know ya know...ya know? Really...all you have to do is follow the directions and the 'puter and phone will do the rest. :) "

LOL.
  17. Q-Area51

Q-Area51 Guest

I totally understand your viewpoint, Bob. That said, my Nap IS my only phone now and before that Qs, Q9ms, Q9cs. My only phones at the time. Flashed 'em all with absolutely no probs and the only thing I missed was one call that went to voice mail. :) It really isn't much more intense than installing say . . . M$ Office on you PC, really. :) -Q
  18. EQBob

EQBob New Member

ok...kewl. Could I ask for more specifics? Can you overview the process involved?

Where do you get the files? Is there a controlling (master) piece of software that you have to use? (I don't think ActiveSync has this capability, does it?) If you need a master piece of software, where do you get it? Does it cost? Is it just like installing a CAB file? Do you lose everything that is already installed on your phone in terms of programs and data? Do you have to set up your email accounts again, etc... How long does it take? What are the chances of it blowing up? What do you do if it blows up? Do I have to go to a physical Verizon location to do it? Etc Etc Etc.

Those are the types of questions I have.
  19. pat_the_cat

pat_the_cat New Member

glad I'm not holding my breath.....
  20. SDNick484

SDNick484 New Member

Generally the firmware (ROM) will be available from either the phone's original equipment manufacturer (in this case Samsung), service provide (Verizon), or both. Whoever provides it will also provide the mechanism for loading it (usually a program separate from the firmware itself), it won't be ActiveSync. Whether it costs money is again up to both the OEM and SP, but historically VZW has provided the updates for free. Generally after loading the ROM, the device will be in a state similar to hard reset, so yes you'd need to load any progams, etc. Data (e.g. music, videos, etc.) on the device itself are also likely to be lost, but if you store them on a storage card you should be safe.

Depending on the update, Verizon may or may not be willing to do it for you. E.g. the first phone I had to update firmware for was a Moto T720, which VZW did in store for free. However they werern't willing to update my original Moto Q to a new MOL, and were very clear that doing so was entirely at my own risk. Generally it's a quick operation these days, but there's definitely some risk involved. The level of risk depends on the device (eg. some hardware has a failsafe mode where even if the ROM only partially loads, a boot loader would still let you try to load a ROM again). However if the OEM or SP are offerring the ROM themselves, I wouldn't be too worried about the risk (even if they won't officially support you).