New ROM

Discussion in 'Samsung Saga' started by Brent372, Apr 29, 2009.

1. EQBob

EQBob New Member

What's GPSTEST?

One nice thing in PIE is that it seems to support CSS *much* more now. I have a site that uses pure CSS for pop-ups contained within DIVS and that never worked before on a mobile. (CSS with DIVS eliminates the need for javascripting for a popup)
  2. EQBob

EQBob New Member

Someone said they saw birds flying in Google Maps and that meant the GPS was active. If that wasn't an hallucination, <G>, care to explain... Have no idea what you mean about seeing birds flying in Google Maps. My GPS is active (although not locking well inside), and i ain't seen no birds <G>
  3. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

ouch...i feel like grandma just yanked my plate of pie out of my hands..hucked it against the wall...then stabbed me with my fork! (sorry grammy for using ya in a silly post)...damn gps better be spot on to make up for this! i loved pie........
  4. blackmeto

blackmeto Active Member

5. jmorisey

jmorisey New Member

Sleeping Memory Card

Anyone know if the SD Card still "sleeps" when the phone is not used. There were NUMEROUS apps that could not be installed onto the memory card because when the phone went to sleep, it lost connection to the card.

Some programs I had problems with on the card were:
    • FlexMail 4
    • S2U2 - (I think)
    • Verizon Wireless Sync
    • QuickMenu
    Those are just the ones off the top of my head that I can remeber.

Also, how does LIVE Search run on the new ROM. Previously it would flake out my phone if I didn't close it out and the phone went to sleep.

Hopefully my local VZW store will be able to install this update for me, since some desk jocket decided not to include Vista 64bit in the upgrade application package.
  6. blackmeto

blackmeto Active Member

so far neither google navigator or ndrive has locked on to sats when google maps was already connected. Ndrive thinks im on n. miami ave. ( 1 whole state away) and google nav just stays in Noville searching..........
  7. summit

summit New Member

After the ROM update, my SMTP server will now work with my phone and hotmail now works with the phone.
  8. bheidemann

bheidemann New Member

This is very interesting, I never heard this before. I thought I had a bad mem card but it turns out this is by design? I was about to return my phone but since the rom update I haven't had the mem card problems I was having before the rom update.
  9. larsdennert

larsdennert Active Member

Well actually the whole phone sleeps. It's not that the card specifically sleeps. The problem is usually that when the phone wakes up, there is a delay in the OS remounting the SD card into the file system. If it takes too long, certain apps and even the OS itself chokes. Some cards make the problem worse. It was a real problem on the HTCs. The trick was a few reg hacks.

Black Meto Try gpstest to see if you are getting the bird. LOL
  10. bheidemann

bheidemann New Member

ANy idea where I can find the reg hacks? I had SPB shell installed on the card and my OS would completely hang once I "lost" the storage card. Although I haven't had that issue since the ROM update...
  11. blackmeto

blackmeto Active Member

never got to see the bird but installing quickgps broke my gps, and no hard reset works and i cant reflash the update

<------------------cwyin:angry:
  12. EQBob

EQBob New Member

I first installed MS3 to the card when I girst got it and all kinds of weirdness and little hiccups took place. Unistalled and reinstalled to phone and those hiccups / hangs / halts went away.
  13. larsdennert

14. blackmeto

blackmeto Active Member

i dont think thats happened to me yet
  15. bheidemann

bheidemann New Member

16. larsdennert

No but it just does the reg hack.
  17. MyPhoneIsBlue

MyPhoneIsBlue New Member

after a few minutes in the mount on a nice sunny day, the gps did manage to pick me up, but it wasn't quite accurate. I wasn't moving much so that didnt help I'm sure. was set on managed by windows.

initial thoughts are that some things seem snappier, opera for one. The phone seems to deal with notifications more smoothly, but that may just be a result of a nice clean flash and the removal of 6 months of registry tweaking. I have had zero signal strength issues in boston. Aside from the GPS seeming to work now, loss of storage and memory, and the remappable buttons, i dont see much change. Was there a list of changes/fixes released somewhere with the update that I've missed?
  18. larsdennert

I'm thinking the gps stores ephemeras data as it sometimes gets a faster relock. (EQ Bob is going ask something again without googling first haha) I got mine working in a car today. gps signals don't like metal cars. My old etrex has about the same sensitivity. New gps nav units have better chips and antennas. We are asking a lot from one device here. I think if you pair the gps chip with google's cell id capability you get a faster initial lock.

Honestly after I'm done testing I might enable the skyhook wifi driver. It gets an instant lock in town and can pass the on board gps data through for when there's no wifi. The problem with wifi positioning is that it sucks battery. The onboard gps chip seems very thrifty using little more juice than gm or wls by themselves. Heck if vznav was a one time purchase like other gin apps i might consider it.

scrolling in cursor mode is much better. I'm so glad they fixed that. i haven't played with pie much but I'll have ck it out after bob tested it now
  19. EQBob

EQBob New Member

Remapabble buttons?
  20. EQBob

EQBob New Member

HA! <G> Sometimes google works great at pulling up info, other times, it pulls up so much it is hard to discern what it is you really need. If you're referring to my GPSTEST questions, I asked because I didn't know if that was needed or not. Nobody out here really seems to KNOW what to do and how to use this stuff, so there's 10 threads, 500 pieces of information, and as BM found out, some of them appear to be dangerous. I'd rather ask twice and install once instead of bricking the phone or the chip.

And as I'm sitting here typing this on my PC, my phone just rebooted by itself.