New ROM

Discussion in 'Samsung Saga' started by Brent372, Apr 29, 2009.

1. EQBob

EQBob New Member

My summary of things I've seen

Upgrade was smooth
    The GPS works
    As I would expect, killing the crap out of my battery.

?? Do you always have to go into Phone Settings and Turn Location Off to avoid this drain, or is it not running, if you don't have say...Google Maps on? ??

Virtual Earth Mobile didn't work worth a darn
    Reinstalling MS3 and restoring settings was 95% smooth. It continues to see some icons as not there, even tho' the programs have been reinstalled. I will try reinstalling it again after everything is back.

Got voice command and voice notification set back up. Had to remember to set the incoming call ring tone to increasing ring.

RAM is definately less. I routinely had 40 meg before, now I can't get above 33 once things are running.

?? Anybody notice a new menu item in Programs called Text Messages Retry? It's got an Omnia type of icon and brings up a table that looks like it'd be populated with all messages. Also appears to be running in the background as a process. ??
  2. EQBob

EQBob New Member

Anybody try doing the Windows update and seeing if there is anything there after the new ROM? Mine won't connect.
  3. MyPhoneIsBlue

MyPhoneIsBlue New Member

tried twice. previously i would quickly get the "no updates available", now i'm getting a long-running checking for updates.
  4. EQBob

EQBob New Member

Same here...after about 5 min it says server unavailable.
  5. EQBob

EQBob New Member

Figured some things out with MS3. If you don't name the email accounts *exactly* what you had them before, the restore of the icons pointing to a specific email account won't work.
  6. jmorisey

jmorisey New Member

Anyone look or see if Verizon Visual Voicemail works now???
  7. EQBob

EQBob New Member

Um....we don't have that app??
  8. fred4405

fred4405 New Member

Voicemail

I am not sure what you mean by Visual VoiceMail?

After posting my reply I found out what it was. I don't know if it is on the phone or not.
  9. EQBob

EQBob New Member

It's an app that interfaces to your voicemail and displays them on your screen, much like a listing of emails would, so you can pick which one you want to listen to / do something with, instead of just having to go through your inbox in order.

The Omnia has it, but I've never heard of the Saga having it.
  10. fred4405

fred4405 New Member

Text Messaging

Has anyone has any complaints of their text messages being sent twice. I have been sending messages to someone and he keeps getting them twice.

Other than the GPS being turned on, what other improvements have been made? I noticed a change with text messaging that I don't like. But other than that I really don't notice much else. Maybe I am just missing it.
  11. summit

summit New Member

Less RAM and no update!

Yea less RAM... can't get above 33MB. Device reports that there is only 75.62MB of total RAM. Before the update, it reported about 96MB of total RAM. WTF???

My WM update is not working either!
  12. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

i cant figure out why IE wont display this site as a mobile one pager. i have to scroll left and right! never had this problem and ive tried all ie settings and everythingwm display settings! just missing something simple im sure..
  13. jughead

jughead New Member

Just to clear it up real quick. Every device I've had come through my office which had Windows Update (I think it started with WM5, maybe 2003) has never worked, will probably never work. So pretty much consider it a useless icon and it's not worth discussing or speculating over.
  14. EQBob

EQBob New Member

I see the same thing, but I can't even get the site (this site) to log me in on PIE
  15. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

ya bob...been trying everything...sucks startin over again! worth it though...maybe! -) typing this is all on one line..

and had to scroll left to type this and hit post reply!
  16. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

and all posts are 6 hours earlier in the day i just noticed! i gotta be a moron and missin something simple...
  17. EQBob

EQBob New Member

Yeah...PIE has definately had some changes in this ROM. I can't even find a version number...can you?

It's like the new version here has the same compatability problems that IE8 desktop has on some sites...but PIE lacks a compatability mode to force it back to no display errors.
  18. EQBob

EQBob New Member

Well, I've never actually seen an update come across, but.....it at least always connected to the server before!
  19. EQBob

EQBob New Member

Mine match the desktop version for times. Sure your timezone offset is set correctly?
  20. larsdennert

larsdennert Active Member

yea unfortunately pIE became more useless as there is no format to screen. At least you get really nice finger scrolling in all apps. Plenty of other browsers out there. There's a a global mode that switches between gsm and cdma automatically.

I'm not complaining mind you. The update is great. The gps antenna seems to a dipole with the cell one or they are right together. Face the back of the phone skyward and I get a faster sat lock. In gpstest scroll up and down in cursor mode and you get a sky view of the sats or a detailed lat/lon info.