"New" PIE Observations

Discussion in 'Samsung Saga' started by EQBob, Jun 26, 2009.

1. EQBob

EQBob New Member

"New" PIE Observations

The new/updated PIE in the new Saga ROM, definitely has some changes. I can tell it has MUCH better support for CSS, yet has what appear to be issues in other areas.

What I've noticed most often is what others have noticed as well, which is the appearance of the site as being stretched out wide, whereas before it wasn't. Doesn't appear to make a difference as to whether you set the view to be desktop or mobile or font size. I'm wondering if it has something to do with the way PIE is sending or setting it's browser identification tag to sites. I can't find anyway to set thigns back to what worked before. I know TreeFrog had the same results.

Gone, is the ability to set the view to one column, which was super nice for sites that didn't test for a browser tag. Can that feature.

The menu structure is somewhat different.

In scrolling through a long story today on a site, I noticed that the click click click of the mouse on the vertical scroll bar was decidedly laggard. I don't know if that's because of the increased RAM the new ROM uses or the site, or a new characteristic of IE Mobile.

All in all, I'm somewhat torn. I like the increased CSS support, but the inability to get content shoved back down into how wide my screen actually is, sucks.

What are your reactions and thoughts?
  2. jmorisey

jmorisey New Member

CAn't speak as for on the SAGA, becasue... well, I want go there again..

Anyways, this was updated on my xv6800 and I had the exact same issues. I HATED it!!! I had to scroll on pages that I never had to scoll on before. I think in trying to upgrade the browser, they "broke" some very usefull and convienent features.

just my opinion...

Jon
  3. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

scrolling by the bar does suck..almost like the pointer isnt hitting it..although finger scrolling isnt bad. if your slow and easy! at least reading posts for me are in a column its just when posting that it has to go horizontal.

also...i hadnt fixed opera to not be the default browser after the rom upgrade and was forced to use it. it seemed better now than pie..and easier to use! wondering now why im not using it!
  4. jmorisey

jmorisey New Member

Opera use to be real "jittery" and "choppy", is it better now?
  5. EQBob

EQBob New Member

It still is for me. I hate Opera!
  6. wewantutopia

wewantutopia New Member

I use Opera Mini and LOVE IT
  7. UNBLVR

UNBLVR New Member

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=452206

Registry edit...default is 1024x768...set mine to 320x320...

\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\Viewport Height
    and
    \HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\Viewport Width
  8. EQBob

EQBob New Member

Will definitely have to try this although I dislike reg edits on my phone, but this one drives ya nuts <G>.

I forgot...what's the good apps for the registry? Total Commander sucks.
  9. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

nice find! works great and i'm mucho happier with pie now! i did the 320x320....tried less on the width to get no scroll bars at all but didnt work. still...superior find!
  10. EQBob

EQBob New Member

OK...I did this and agree that PIE is MUCH better. Somehow however, Opera has gotten to be the default view...I can't find a way to change that...anybody know?

I HATE OPERA

Edit 1: Never mind...You have to scroll down way more in the settings in Opera than what appears on the screen.

No idea how that got set.

Opera...ugh! <big body shiver>

Edit 2: this isn't working in every site. I am still getting a lot of sites that are very wide.
  11. blackmeto

blackmeto Active Member

I would like to chime in and say for my uses Opera suits me much better, here and on my laptop.
  12. bberryhill0

bberryhill0 Active Member

Interesting that PIE is shipped at 1024x768 on a phone. Opera for me.