New phones coming

Discussion in 'Verizon Wireless' started by Brent372, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Brent372

Brent372 New Member

Droid don't do much that WinMo can't.... :dft011:tounge_out
  2. gnath9

gnath9 New Member

I am a big winmo fan ... just got tired of waiting on wimo7.
    I wasn't dissen winmo at all but, the Droid does it all so much better right now. The Droid is a pleasure to own but I still got my hopes up for winmo7 on a motorola... let's hope
  3. Brent372

Brent372 New Member

Don't hold your breath. Moto has made it perfectly clear they have no future with WinMo
  4. larsdennert

larsdennert Active Member

I played with the eris the other day. the capacitive screen is every bit the iphone and so is the ui. they haven't rooted the eris yet and it's still on 1.5 but nice. I have carpal tunnel due to the force it takes to push pda keys. a cap screen requires almost no force so less strain so this may be in my future.

Maybe in feb when my contract runs out and after my next trip to europe. the eris isn't a world phone. maybe the eris will get 2.0 and properly working ms exchange functionality otherwise i'm sticking to wm.
  5. cdmta

cdmta New Member

hey brent, speaking of droid, seen any new devices floating around the orifice?
    passion?bravo?incredible?

i know this is a winmo forum (which i am also interested in) but i have seen you are the guy with inside knowledge.
    thanks, chris
  6. Brent372

Brent372 New Member

I haven't seen any.. in fact I have never heard of a BRAVO... Passion rings a bell, but I don't recall seeing anything about it.

As for the Incredible.. there is a ROM for it on the network share I know about, where they keep all the ROMs but I have yet to see one.
    There is also a ROM for the Toshiba TG01 but I have yet to see one of those either.

I know BGR recently had a report on a new Moto android device for VZW. Kinda like a little brother to the The Droid, but I think this one will have "Blur"

I did find out some information as to why The Droid doesn't have a custom fancy interface ontop of it (IE: Blur) or any VZW apps (a first !!!)

One device a year will be marketed as an "Android experience" phone.
    Last year (2009) was The Droid. This year (2010) will likely be the NexusOne

"Android experience" phones are deisgned to let the user get the full Android experience.. with no "mush" on top or "carrier bloat" installed. A neat concept to say the least.

If this is true for 2010, don't expect to see SenseUI on the NexusOne, although we all know it is actually an HTC device.
  7. sherri

sherri Active Member

I have the Droid, and I do love it. However, I never had a problem with my WM phone, and I only had WM5! I do miss Skyfire.

Also, there is no Bluetooth Voice Dialing on the Droid (or any Android phones, for that matter.) Therefore, there is no HANDS FREE on Android phones. You need to look at, and touch the phone to initiate a call.:dft007:angry
  8. cdmta

cdmta New Member

thanks for the quick reply and info brent.

so if there's an incredible rom, there should be an incredible phone?
  9. Brent372

Brent372 New Member

YUP! I just don't think that they have made it into my office yet.
    The network (cell network - not computer network) engineers get to test all the new toys.. so I bug them all the time about what new "toys" they have.
  10. Brent372

Brent372 New Member

WOW! I am very surprised about this... I had no idea.
    Everybody is always so big on the "I just tell it what to do and it does it" feature of it, but not over BT.... such a bummer...
  11. sherri

sherri Active Member

And, "tell it what to do" requires looking at the screen and tapping a choice. Many phones were returned because in NY, hands free is the law.

So far, there has not been one "prompt" I have given the phone that has resulted in the phone "doing" the task. "Call home" brings up a screen: Did you mean "call home"... This is true no matter if I use "voice search" or "voice dial".
    I can say "Dial 555-555-5555" or "Call 555-555-5555" and both result in a screen that I need to confirm. Google is aware of this, but as the Android OS is 2 years old, they are doing nothing in a hurry.

(Phone calls can be answered by the BT earpiece, though...)
  12. kyler13

kyler13 New Member

Brent, how far ahead of release do you usually see new phones? I mean, the fact that you haven't seen the phone (the Incredible or whatever), does that mean it might be 2,3,4 weeks off from release? We all know it hasn't been FCC approved so that's obviously a show stopper at the moment.
  13. Brent372

Brent372 New Member

It can be a while...
  14. cbusguy23

cbusguy23 New Member

Looks like big red will be getting the Google Nexus One. I'd be pretty excited if there were any chance I could get a new phone.
  15. Brent372

Brent372 New Member

Where did you see that? Not as far as I know... although I did get hands on with the Moto Calgary (DROID Devour) today... not impressed.
  16. cbusguy23

cbusguy23 New Member

17. Brent372

Brent372 New Member

Yeah.. I see that now... Pretty cool :D
  18. sherri

sherri Active Member

Google has an EPIC FAILURE by not offering BT dialing, and true hands free dialing. Brent, my local VZW stores got many Android phones returned because of this. I am wondering if it is because NY is a hands free law state, or if other areas saw it as well. I believe only 15 states have "hands free" on the books, but more are expected...
  19. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

looking forward to your updates on when this is going to be available on big V...hint hint:dft011:tounge_out
  20. sherri

sherri Active Member

Scott, you know how I feel about my Droid...for the most part, it is awesome. I also felt that way about my Q, and I had the old one, with WM5!

That being said, I don't know if I would have bought the Droid knowing what I know about the BT issues. Also, I really miss Skyfire. They keep saying that Flash will be available "soon", but I am not holding my breath. There is also a severe lack of desktop back-up software. Yes, E-mail can be re-routed through Google and stored there, but I wanted true back up to my desktop. Motorola Media Link isn't quite there...

Again, the BT/no hands free is my biggest gripe. Let's face it, we are talking about a PHONE, and many of my calls are done in the car for convenience (hour commute each way). A simple press on BT "Call home" should work, but doesn't.

Let's see if this will be addressed, but I doubt it. Google has this marked as a low priority on their site.