New Official eXtreme Text Discussion

Discussion in 'Windows Phone Software' started by n99hockey, Mar 4, 2008.

1. mrjingles

mrjingles New Member

Hello, I can't find the answer to this anywhere. Why does ET sort contacts last name first even though I have my contacts first name first using ContactFix? Searching is a real pain. Any help?
    Thanks in advance.
  2. ajskhan

ajskhan New Member

been using the trial, may buy it later but I see problems:
    1. when writing a text if I accidentally push the msg icon vs. the ? or space--it erases my text and I dunno where drafts are :/
    2. the contact searching is disappointing
    3. sms bubbles doesn't work with ext txt :(

great program, but these bugs are killing me :/
  3. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

never heard of this

working on being fixed and more like extreme agenda

works fine for me
    if i have XT working in the background and SMSbubbles comes up it opens up XT
  4. sulster

sulster Active Member

If I have XT OPEN then SMSBubbles uses XT. If I have it working in the background but not specifically open, then it SOMETIMES uses XT... :)
  5. n99hockey

when i have XT open i usually just hit the home key to take me back to the main Q screen and then the SMSbubbles comes up it takes me right to XT...on rare occasion does it not take me there should i be doing something else in the mean time
    and even when im doing something else it takes me right to XT and i have to redo what i was looking at before
  6. sulster

sulster Active Member

Must you rub it in? J/K
  7. n99hockey

hahaha
    sorry

does it help that i find it annoying that if im doing something else it takes me out of what i was doing?
  8. cheri

cheri Active Member

I had a great experience until recently when I updated to the 112 . I keep putting off the master reset for obvious reasons and I am leary of reinstalling the app when I do. Since I got this phone I did a master reset before I added any apps or hacks.

Last night I started getting error messages regarding not showing all my sent items and something else that escapes me at the moment. I should have done a screen print. But I was sleep deprived and lazy. Next time I will post the darn error message.

Verizon is my carrier as well and Q1.
  9. mexiken

mexiken New Member

Ok, so I've tried 1.12 once again, because I recently purchased Photo Contacts Pro, and I dig the whole SMS tones PLUS the disabling of the sound by pressing dismiss or the hangup button. LOVE it !!!!

Here is a list of bugs/problems I have or found. Some have been mentioned in this thread, but I'm hoping maybe if they're compiled, I can get some better answers. I haven't had the best of luck getting help with this program. Also, if you have some suggestions or fixes, please, let me know:

This all applies to the Q9h:

1. I'm a very heavy texter. And I LOVE the auto-capatalize. However, it doesn't auto capatalize after an exclamation mark, or a question mark. Thats a REAL bummer, and annoying. Especially when the default program does it. Isn't there a way to fix that that doesn't require too much programming ????

2. The picture thing is better, but not working completely. With my Outlook contacts, if I START a conversation with the "New" button in XT and XT ONLY, it will display the photo, 100% of the time. This was quite exciting. However. As someone mentioned, I don't know if XT closes, or just refreshes the threads, but when it does, ALL the pictures, SAVE FOR ONE (random who it is), disappear. As in, they were there two minutes ago, and now they aren't. When it says, "loading" and shows the splash screen, that means all my contacts pictures will not be there anymore. And NOTHING works to get them back, but to delete the contact from XT, and start again with the new button. That REALLY sucks.

3. Speaking of which, the sorting of contacts. Its sorted alphebetically by the "File As", which is great. However, when you go look for it, it lists their full name, which is just confusing. I'm used to looking at it by "File As", like the default contact does. So why don't I start a text in the default if it does everything that I'm complaning about ???? Read #2. It doesn't actually display the "File As" name. Maybe an option to sort contacts by "File As" and then actually display those names instead of full names would work. Its kind of weird to read people's full names. Its a privacy issue as well of convenience issue to me. With the Q9h, the only way I've found to change the "File As" option is to do it through Outlook, and I went to A LOT of trouble to change all those people. It pains me to see the full names displayed anyway =(

4. The time thing. If another network is seconds ahead, and the minute happens to change, it will show as 6:33 while my phone still displays 6:32. When I receive a message, it will store them chronologically according to time, and so while I received the message first, then wrote back, it will store them in the thread BEFORE the message. So basically, its out of order. IMSMS didn't have this issue. Even if the network time was different, it would sort them by order sent and received. So I know there is a workaround. And I know maybe many people don't have this problem, but I'm a fast texter, and I can send and receive 4-7 messages in a min, so you can imagine it makes a mess of things.

5. The variable height thing. Works great for changing that. Convenient. However, on my phone, there is something wrong. If I write a long message, it will only scroll down so far. After that, even though there is more message, it WON'T display it. The only way to see it is to go into the default messaging program, and read it from there.

6. Speaking of which, the way it saves sent messages on the phone. I'm GLAD it does that. However, on my phone, it saves the actual message on the "subject part". I know this because whenever I get an email, it puts it up there and gives it the same font, bolded and everything. For those that don't have Email set up through Exchange, we all have a blueish box that displays text info, and while it does on my phone too, it also puts it up there. As in, there is NOTHING displayed in the white box, where writing goes. Also, when I go into my sent messages, it doesn't display who sent them to me. These two problems are obviously related.

Hopefully, I can get some help, or some answers. Or even, an acknowledgment that the problem can be duplicated. If anyone else has any of these, please, chime in. Maybe its just my phone, but I doubt it. Some of these have been that way since the earliest version I tried, late last year.
  10. Birdsoft

Birdsoft Member

I will look into all of your #s for this next release I plan on doing.... I will say the Q9h does seem to be a breed of its own, as far as some of the things it does, but Im not saying that that is what necessarily is causing any of this...

I will add this, I thought I already had.. Hmmmm ....

The program has to identify the contacts by resolving off of the name in the text with the contacts names. Im not sure why all of them would switch to be going bad, anything you can see that would have changed so it cant match the name on the text with the Pocket Outlook Name. The title of a conversation is usually the name in the name field of the message. So for <Jon Smith> it tries to parse out Jon and Smith and look for that in the Pocket Outlook fields... I will see if there is something more I can do here for redundancy or....

I will offer more in this area. Right now for speed if you are loading sorted by name it is using the default sort in the database I believe for speed, but Im not positive on this, and I am just re-formatting the name fields myself with no options to change....

Hmmmm.. Yes, I have looked into this in the past. I have yet to be able to re-produce it. It probably comes down to what field I am using as the date/time of that message, but I have not found which one will make it correct, as it stays correct on my device all the time...

I will look at the scrolling and see as I have yet to have this happen as well, but this is probably a bug in my scrolling code...

Hmmm.. I will have to look into this again as well. It has to do with correct fields in the databases and since Microsoft really doesnt publish anything that makes much sense on this it is trial and error. I beleive we do set the text as the Subject as that is what seems to work on most devices for display and for SMS it should be an either one thing, but .......

11. Birdsoft

Birdsoft Member

Sent message loading errors are usually caused by a message the program cant understand. Ive seen ones created by "Services" (like auto messages from the carrier or a site or....???) as being the culprit or MMS messages. It is supposed to just ignore them and go on, but in some cases it makes the program throw an exception and error out.. I am combing this code to see what more I can add to make it more rhobust as well.... Usually if you can identify and delete that message and then restart the program it will clear it up.....
  12. jmaynard1986

jmaynard1986 New Member

No problems or anything here...

Just wanted to stop by and say how much I LOVE this program... its amazing...

*TWO thumbs up*
  13. dragon3085

dragon3085 New Member

I've just recently upgrade to a MOTO Q 9c from the samsung playback, which got me addicted somewhat to texting (it seems to be my friends prefered method of communiction.) So far I've been really happy with XT. The 2 features I would like to see expanded on would be predictive text typing- which is supported by my phone's 'native' text software. And more emoticons (I admit this is a very very minor thing but still it would be nice...) . My only other gripe has less to do with the software and more to do with the inability in Windows Mobile to make the program my default texting app. I haven't really had time to dig into the registry, I suspect I might could change it there.
    Overall I have not had any problems with the program. I very rarely keep super long streams of text for any length of time so I have not witnessed any slow down.

Thanks
    Patrick
  14. Ever since upgrading to 1.2.1 or whatever the current version is, I haven't had any issues with the numbers vs text entry issues that I had with the previous version. Nice job Brian!
  15. cheri

cheri Active Member

I will keep this in mind...however I had to do a master reset. I figured there had to be something more sinister going on that I could not figure out.

Problem is even after master reset ET is freezing. I used to have ET on the device, but after master reset move it to the card. I will do more reading on this when I have time.

thank you for your post :)
  16. mexiken

mexiken New Member

Thank you for your response.

As far as the Contacts go, you're right, it does parse them out by first and last name. Not what I would like it to do, or what other programs have done. They use the "Nickname", AKA the "File As" name.

And I haven't made any changes to any of the contacts for it to not resolve the name correctly, thus not displaying the picture. It just doesn't show up. Its there one minute, and then not the next.

And as a little tidbit, I found something else. IF I start the text in the native SMS program, or someone messages me, and there is no thread for them, it WILL display the name of the thread as their "File As" name. For example, my roommate, Nelson. If I text him using the new button in XT, it will show his picture, but his name for the thread will be Nelson Molina, his first and last name. And also, it will show the little icon for cell phones, recognizing its his cell phone. However, if I delete the thread, and hes the first to text me, or I use the native app, it will of course create a thread, but no picture, ever, and no icon. But, it uses the "File As" name, which for him is "Nel-Fel-Son-Fon" (inside joke) So, it can be done, and I don't know whats different about the routine that is used to pick up existing messages as to creating new ones, but theres items in both that work and don't.

As far as the Q9h, I can imagine its a bit different. I've run across some issues myself tinkering around with the phone that don't work on the Q9h that worked on the regular Q or even the Q9c. Sorry to be so difficult, I just want to find a program that does it all. Or close to it anyway. I bought Photo Contacts Pro, so the full screen picture and SMS tones for text that you can stop are taken care of, I just need the killer SMS threader. And once I heard this program started doing predictive text, I got excited and reinstalled the trial. Hopefully the issues can get worked out.

Thanks again for your time.
  17. ditziwt

ditziwt New Member

cant delete old messages

got a situation.

i cant delete my old messages. I finally downloaded XT the other day and i didnt read much on it. if i had, i would have noted to delete all my texts before installing. i have had my phone for a year and havent deleted any texts. so there is a boatload. anyways, loading XT with all those messages took like 30 mins. so i deleted all of them through the other text prog. everything worked great after that. then i had to reboot the phone and all the old messages came back. so it was either take 30 mins to load XT which also slowed it down tremendously or delete all the messages which takes like 30 mins.
    so what i found out through numerous times of deleting my old texts, no matter how i deleted them, any time i reboot the phone the messages all come back.
    if you need to know, alltel, q, the trial XT (soon to be full if i can delete the old messages.
  18. n99hockey

this really isnt an XT issue....
    other memebers have had the same problem...i dont recall ever reading a solution....search around a bit its been talked about alot
  19. KOOLWATER

KOOLWATER New Member

Is this problem specific to alltel or has verizon customers had this issue too?
  20. n99hockey

i think it can happen to anyone