New Motorola Q 9 Napoleon Coming To Verizon Wireless

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9n' started by omg its nate, Jul 3, 2008.

1. larsdennert

larsdennert Active Member

I agree. Verizon always has the worst phones (but the best signal). There is a program for BB like pdanet. I think it's called shark or something. Pricey but allows you to tether.
  2. cray1000

cray1000 New Member

does this bb storm support native exchange push email? I assume only windows OS has this feature?

Plus does it support awesome browsers like opera mini or skyfire?
  3. larsdennert

BB have java built in so mini should work, but this is a Q forum... :)
  4. darkdomino

darkdomino New Member

seeing as the Motorola Q11 has been pretty much confirmed, I think I will pass this one up for sure now. I'm eager to see the next-gen Q.
  5. BIG ACH

BIG ACH New Member

i like it looks VERY sexy!!! But still IMO nothing beats the design of the Original Q. I dunno why they never made a GSM 3G version of the Q8 (original Q), I'm still sporting my Moto Q8 even without the 3G juse cause I love it so much!
  6. lil_sunshine

lil_sunshine New Member

How do we know the Napoleon and the Q11 are not one in the same?
  7. chris

chris Administrator Staff Member

Early reports are not very good. I wonder if RIM is outside of their wheelhouse on this one.
  8. lil_sunshine

lil_sunshine New Member

Windows exchange does support other devices like Nokia Symbian devices and possibly Palm OS. But, I'm not sure about the Blackberry. The point of the new exchange software is to hit RIM where it hurts. Now, switching to Microsoft is already a cheaper and easier solution from an IT perspective.

What Microsoft has been lacking (because they don't make hardware) is an easy to use ubiqutous device. It looks like the introduction of the Napoleon could change that.
  9. cray1000

cray1000 New Member

yeah my q works great with exchange, with push email, realtime searching of the global directory, instant push of contacts, tasks, etc.

but i am DESPERATE for a new phone. my q is terrible, terrible, terrible. i loved it for years, but its just gotten worse. of course i have replaced it etc, but what i mean by gotten worse is, the more and more new things and applications i do with it, the worse it is.

i got a car with bluetooth (jeep w/ uconnect, mygig radio) and it works TERRIBLY. half the time there is no audio, some times its garbled, half the times it tries to dial and then doesnt go through with voice dial etc.

also i started using skyfire, amazing browser but this phones hardware just arent enough. the streaming video and flash and slow, choppy and barely work if at all.

plus a few other small things.

so basically i cant wait to get a new phone with my ne2 i have been holding on to for a year, but verizons current phones blow big time. i am hoping either the q11, q napolean, samsung i770, palm 800w, or those new bb's.

i dont really care what phone at this point, just any will do (except the current verizon offerings which i all hate) is there ANY details on when the next smartphone/pocketpc phone will be released? any confirmed date on any of these phones?

other people out there with verizon must be feeling my pain! the q9c is descent but too close to the orig Q to be worth getting. plus i dont need vznavigator.
  10. larsdennert

Yea the only thing I like about the new Q9 is the html email and more readable display (outside). Otherwise it is the same as the Q1. The new offerings from HTC like the diamond pro with a keyboard are promising.
  11. work4crown

work4crown New Member

A hearty amen to everything you just said! A couple months ago I started researching my next phone. I was excited about the prospect of a Smartphone compared to my current Moto Razr (dumbphone?) At first all the features seemed so awesome - the idea of combining my pda with a phone and a gps all in one device! But then cold hard reality sets in when I visit this forum and learn the devil is in the details.

-Smartphone OS is not the same as PocketPC os. Big time limit on the number of available apps. Some old and beloved apps won't work on Smartphone.

-Verizon doesn't give a 'real' gps and they charge for the use of it! Just terrible.

-The dream of a robust smartphone that does everything out-of-the-box seems to be just that - a dream.

When I surf www.verizonwireless.com and check out their Smartphone offerings it is just depressing. How I long for something better.

In the mall near my work there is a Verizon Kiosk-thingie. I went there and played around with a Q9C. At first I was thrilled with the device until I walked 20 feet over to the AT&T store and tried the Q9H. Wow! It seems like such an upgrade! The camera is higher res., the OS is 6.1 instead of 6.0, the Today screen includes a section for 3 types of Instant Messaging - which is important to me since I im alot. Plus it is a world phone so I could use it in other countries. There is probably more...but what a stark contrast between competing versions of the same phone!

What in the world can Verizon be thinking? AT&T obviously has them way outgunned and they just sit there saying 'It's the Network'. For those of us who love techno-devices it is more than just the network!!! If there wasn't a glimmer of hope that Verizon might be releasing something good in the near future (with free wifi which the Q9H doesn't have....I think....) I would be over at AT&T signing up for Q9H goodness and waving sionara to the Red V.

I know that the network is the most important 'feature' of any phone, but my friends on AT&T tell me it works fine for them. Also, free calling after 7pm!!! Come on Verizon, give me a reason to stay with the Red V.
  12. larsdennert

If our whole company wasn't on vzw, I'd have ditched it long ago. I think the Q9h has gps and probably quad band gsm that works everywhere in the world. The reliable vzw signal is the only thing that's keeping us there at moment. I was on att/LA Cellular for all of the '90's and it was great until they botched their gsm conversion.
  13. cray1000

cray1000 New Member

Agreed, if verizon doesnt release something new by mid october i am canceling with them. my plan would be cheaper with at&t and i would get more. plus they have the iphone which is cool too. My contract is up, the only thing keeping me is that so many people i talk to have verizon, and the free mobile to mobile or "in calling" makes it worth keeping FOR NOW.

but if the plan is that much cheaper it might not matter (plus the 7pm nights) about the in calling.

so its mid october. verizon needs to get their crap together, there phones have historically blown. their contract love to lg is killing them.

cray
  14. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

blah blah blah.... :)

thought this was a Napoleon thread?
  15. cray1000

cray1000 New Member

I keep asking when its coming out. or if there was any info at all on a possible release on verizon or any verizon press release. but......
  16. joey301

joey301 New Member

Wow, someone who thinks exactly like me, how refreshing. When I talk like this at phonescoop, I get blasted. I wish there was some way to transfer my incalling, i would be out of Verizon in a heart beat. I will keep my original Q till something else comes along. With VZW right not, its probably the Curve, but all the Q third party software I have!
    J
  17. Gawain

Gawain New Member

I've been asking the same thing for a while now. Here's another thought: VZW just had a large internal announcement about the BlackBerry Storm. Many are indicating a targeted release date of November 1st.

So, does the Napoleon come out before or, after the release?

And, does this announcement have anyone a bit torn as to what they want to upgrade to? I was pretty focused on the Napoleon, but now having seen the Storm in "hands" etc., I'm genuinely interested. I have a work BB, and the OS is nice, simple too. Its browser sucks. So...anyone else??
  18. Miata492

Miata492 New Member

not to get off the Q track here, but the browser in the new OS's on the BB's are much better. i am running the 4.5.0.77 OS on my 8830 and browsing is better than on pocket ie (ok, what isnt better than pie???). i still like my Q9m better than the BB, but they have come a long way and the storm looks amazing and extremely tempting. my next phone has to be a global vzw phone that has wifi. i prefer a physical qwerty keyboard so i am patiently awaiting the Q9 napolean, the samsung i770, and then the touchscreen BB storm. i am eligible for a new vzw contract dec 26th so hopefully 2 of those 3 will be out but i probably wont make a move until i can touch all 3. i really want the napolean to have wifi and revA - please!!! luckily, my wife has been eligible for an upgrade since last year and her Q is getting old so i think i have her sold on a bb storm. needless to say, that will be purchased for her the day it is out!
  19. bpatt

bpatt New Member

WOW - I read this and thought - did I post this and forget about it? You are saying exactly what I agree with. Plus, weird, just got a Jeep with uconnect/mygig earlier this year. Thus my confusion! :wink:

Back on topic: am anxious for the Napoleon as well. Love my Q, but "I ken barely hold 'er together, Keptin!" Spit, baling wire, and very gentle use compared to how I used to use it. My batteries are fried on it, just trying to hold my head above water until the new Verizon Q, whatever they call it (can't use AT&T - company won't reimburse).

Well said!
  20. work4crown

work4crown New Member

Something is coming....

Visiting the Verizon website today I see big price cuts....Centro for $49.99, SMT5800 for $54.99, Q9c $54.99....also that phone they had that had the slide out keyboard is gone from the site...maybe they are out of them....

They must be trying to clear their stock so they can fit the Napoleon! (Or something else)

What's coming?!