New Motorola Q 9 Napoleon Coming To Verizon Wireless

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9n' started by omg its nate, Jul 3, 2008.

1. Miata492

Miata492 New Member

yes, join the VZW usual waiting game! it seems like there have been no updates or anything out there about "napolean"!
  2. cray1000

cray1000 New Member

if it makes you feel any better, i have had my new every 2 credit burning through my pocket for 6 months! When the Q9C came out i thought it was my phone for sure, only to hear about this one!
  3. Miata492

Miata492 New Member

I am bored with my Q9m right now and need something different to play with so I just bought a used BB 8830 to mess around with until the Q9 Napolean or the BB Thunder/Storm or even the Sammy i770 come out!
  4. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

I'm on the migration plan as well with Qwest (employee/customer). Standalone accounts can be switched over to Verizon now and a large Verizon sales team is in our building starting today. Talked to the senior rep who emailed some higher ups and they say end of year for the Napoleon, if it passes Verizon tests. I like mid-september better though! At the latest I could migrate in February so I might wait for the Nap instead of grabbing 9c now.
  5. jgmallis

jgmallis New Member

Yuk, the end of the year is a long way off. I thought they wanted us all migrated by then. Hope I can hold out. They've told me "Oct or Nov" for the billing system to catch up and the bundles to to be good, so I figured I'd wait 'til then at least. Here's hoping for Sept (which is only a week away):smile:
  6. JGC843

JGC843 Guest

It has a fingerprint scanner, but they don't mention if it'll have wifi? :embarassed:
  7. work4crown

work4crown New Member

I think it does have wifi....unless they decide to disable it

"We’ve found the following specs on the phone so far: fingerprint scanner (seriously, on the back), Windows Mobile 6.1, EV-DO Rev. A, quad-band EDGE, 2 megapixel camera with flash, stereo speakers, 320×240 resolution screen, Wi-Fi, and a 1500mAh battery."

The previous quote was taken from the following link:
    http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2008/07/03/motorola-napoleon-q9-verizons-world-phone/
  8. darkdomino

darkdomino New Member

Unfortuntately even with the WiFi I think that the lack of a touchscreen to make this a "PocketPC" device will be its undoing. Finding software for non-touchscreen windows mobile is getting harder and harder because the pocketpc's are getting more love. I'm not saying there aren't good titles for it, but if I had a nickel for every time I get a message "Installation was unsuccessful this program was not designed for this device etc etc etc..."
  9. work4crown

work4crown New Member

I can't speak for the masses, but I have had a touch screen PPC since 2002 and I am currently hoping to combine it's functionality with my next phone - possibly a Moto q Napoleon. I know there will be a couple programs I can't load that I will miss if I switch to a Smartphone.

1. Cash Organizer. This program is not developed for Smartphone. This seems like a shame to lose this program. I know there are some financial programs available for the Smartphone so I downloaded and installed a few on the Smartphone emulator. They suck compared to Cash Organizer. I think I will just get Quicken Deluxe for my laptop and port the data over. If I can't live without portable data entry I could get the Quicken Smartphone version. This will cost about $90. for both programs I believe.

2. Keepass: This is a great password program that is easy to sync between PocketPC and computer. I'm sure there must be a similar smartphone program, but who knows if it would be free like Keypass or if I could export/import my old data to it?

3. Magic Button: This program made the Pocketpc SOOOOO much nicer. It is a shame it is not available for Smartphone. I have tried Resco task manager $5., coupled with AEButton trial version mapped to the end button on the Emulator and that seems like an acceptable workaround. Still not as good as free magic button though.

4. Today screen plugins! I haven't researched it much, but I love Today screen plugins for my PPC. It looks like a pain to do much on the smartphone and not as many plugins available. I would like to see Agile Messager plugin for the today screen. Is there such a thing?

On the other hand I can see some advantages to a Smartphone over my old pda. For one thing it can make phone calls and maybe free wifi! I probably wouldn't worry about damaging the screen as much. Probably the biggest factor is the keyboard - I really want to do some serious text and IM with the new phone. I have looked at PDA phones but they are so bulky compared to the moto q. The moto q is really as big as I would want to manage.

It seems like there is less good freeware for a Smartphone, yet there is enough to get the job done with the hopes of fitting in a pocket without breaking the wallet.

So it looks to me as though there is no perfect device - just compromise devices so we have to pick our poison. I can't wait till this fall/winter to see what there will be!!!
  10. jasoraso

jasoraso Member

After reviewing this leaked slide:
    http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2008/08/27/samsung-i770-u810-pictured-for-verizon/

I'm thinking that the Napoleon might have been pushed back. This slide is for the "Global Devices" that are being released soon (3rd Q), and it is absent.

hmmm, I wonder if the Samsung i770 is much bigger than the QN???? I came to the Q9m from a Samsung i730, and although I've really enjoyed the Q, maybe I'll end up back in the Samsung camp ...

Of course the Q9N could be scheduled for 4th Q - which begins Oct 1. Although I tend to believe that if they release the i770 in Sept, they will hold off for 60 days before releasing a "competing" product" (I use that term loosely - but that's how Verizon's bean counters seem to think).
  11. cray1000

cray1000 New Member

wow thanks for the info.

i didnt know about the i770, i might get that instead of the q. If it comes out first.

plus i found the treo 800w ????? AWESOME ?!?! am i missing something, that phone looks like it will rock and be out BEFORE QN.

am i missing something here?
  12. larsdennert

larsdennert Active Member

The Q9 comes with a good task manager built in. The only oversight by MS was not assigning it a hardware button. All you have to do is make a back up copy of the messaging.lnk in the startmenu folder and replace it with a shortcut to the task manager. Then you can press the email button from anywhere and get the taskmanger.

13. work4crown

work4crown New Member

Have shovel will travel

Thanks Larsdennert for your response. I don't have a problem with the task manager. You're right it works fine; I think it could be better though if there was a way to see what programs were currently active (at all times) and switch between them like a regular windows OS. (icons in the status/notification area along the top of the screen for example would be awesome!)

You know, I don't get the report on Boy Genius. They have a working Napoleon in their hands! You would think we would get ALOT more info than what they gave. Don't get me wrong I am thankful we can get any preview at all, but why couldn't they give us more? Here's what I think they should be able to give us if they have or had a working unit:

1. Dimensions and weight
    2. More screenshots and an explanation of the interface. What is that?
    3. At least a partial review of what they thought of it if not a full review. Sheesh by now I think I could've flown to their headquarters and done my own review! Are they sworn to secrecy or something? They said "We'll keep digging..." - if you guys want I'll bring a shovel and help you out! The report was posted July 3rd, 2008 - that would be 2 months already!
    4. Did you try the fingerprint scanner? Was it cool? Did it work?
    5. What didn't they like about the keyboard?
    6. Did the wifi work?
    7. How about the 2MP camera? How did it do?

Patience is not one of my strong points - sorry! I'm jonesing for the Napoleon!

Let's get one of those peer-pressure chants going....Naploeon! Napoleon! Napoleon!
  14. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

if they have one, "sworn to secrecy" may be about right. They probably have some sory of NDA
  15. bpatt

bpatt New Member

Why not say so? "Yes, we're sworn to secrecy. Sorry." :2cool:
  16. Miata492

Miata492 New Member

i think the i770 will be about the size of the new Treo 800w which is not bad at all.
  17. work4crown

work4crown New Member

Today's news said the 'Q11' was being released and people were talking about whether that meant the Alexander or the Napoleon. At first I was hopeful it might mean the Napoleon, but I have to guess that if Motorola is jumping from Q9 to Q11 that they must mean that their new phone is a leap ahead. The Napoleon is really like a warmed over Q9H while the Alexander has a slide out keyboard, new form factor, better specs etc. So my guess is the Alexander will be the 'Q11' and released first.
  18. cray1000

cray1000 New Member

I am getting tired of waiting to use my ne2 and the slowness and bugginess of my original Q are driving me mad.

When will the i770 be out or the treo 800w? or q11? or Q-n?

I am so needing a new phone but HATES verizons current offerings.
  19. PACanesFAn

PACanesFAn New Member

^ X2

I'm really not impressed with the phones Verizon is offering now. The BB Curve is nice, but I will lose my ability to tether with PDAnet (saving me $$$). The Q9C is nice, but it's still $150.00 and with the new ones coming out, I'm getting antsy.
  20. Surfer

Surfer New Member

Wait until the bb storm comes out in september/october. Touch screen bb is gonna be sick. :2cool: