New Motorola Q 9 Napoleon Coming To Verizon Wireless

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9n' started by omg its nate, Jul 3, 2008.

1. chris

chris Administrator Staff Member

The iPhone and Q are two different beasts. I agree, VZW is much better than AT&T. AT&T has been getting better of late and it's still worlds better than T-Mobile.
  2. gmardre

gmardre New Member

I live in one of the biggest neighborhoods in my city. The nicest ATT store is about 1.5 miles from my home. Yet, my son, who has an iPhone, can not make calls from our home.

When I called ATT, not just the local sales idi....people, told them the problem, they said there were no plans to add towers in my area for the next 10 years. I summized that the decision makers at ATT probably are kin to those at VZW.
  3. mike250rs

mike250rs New Member

thinking old school can be good to an extent. However if those people in question ae stumped using a Cricket phone then it may be time for a change.

As for dumping Windoze....not good either. Everybody knows the pc version of the OS. Ths is a big seling point for many beginner and mid level smartphone owners.

Sure, experiment with a different OS. However, when the developer and customer are learning together it can be interesting. Can be a huge sucess or an epic fail.

Some blame also goes to the carriers. Thy do have a big influence on what gets released. The device has to make them $$ and lots of it.
  4. jgmallis

jgmallis New Member

Bye bye Moto

I was all ready to upgrade this summer and fall. I lost patience and jumped to the Storm on 1/1/09 with no plans to look back. Good riddance WM. The Q was functional but locked up on me way to much compared to prior phones and my old Palm. It never felt finished. I'd have an iPhone if wasn't on ATT. Maybe Andriod will be sumpthin, but I don't trust Google.
  5. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

i believe i saw you on EB fellow Storm'er :}
  6. Miata492

Miata492 New Member

I had an A4500/Q9n all but in my hands (they are out there, search hard enough and you will find one) but then I went and tried out the Storm before I said yes and I am not looking back. I went through an Omnia and a Saga before giving up my Q9m and yes, the Q9n to the Storm. My Q9m will be absolutely be my backup/fallback phone for sure though.
  7. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

funny the Q9n turned me away from the storm....

good luck with the BB's
  8. wnrussell

wnrussell Active Member

Me too. Having the latest Motorola / Verizon unit is great, but what a pity they didn't bring it to market. I was really hopeful that Motorola would have an iPhone killer by now, a next generation Q with some added touch screen functions, like scrolling through the browser by sliding your thumb over the display.

I am worried about the future of Motorola itself. Dr. Sanjay was supposed to drive the handsets to new levels, but has done nothing I can see. Here is his bio: http://www.motorola.com/content.jsp?globalObjectId=9087
  9. Miata492

Miata492 New Member

it really is sad that they did not bring it to market officially. it really seems to be the perfect Q. and even good looking to boot!
  10. MOTO MANIAC

MOTO MANIAC New Member

sorry to be off topic a bit but i have a new q9m in the box with window 6.1 and an additional lime"alltel" case to go with it just like your avatar pic if you would like?its been in my desk for awhile now.
    ok back on topic. yes i wish the decision was made to retail these units. it went back and forth 3 times before they went the route they did.we had to make SW changes daily due to the undecisive minds of moto vzw/gov.
    but as you all know or now know, this device is not a finished product for mainstream people like you. you will find glitches in it. as with any engineering sample.but still a wonderfully powerful handset.
  11. SnoopyII

SnoopyII New Member

I got one of the engineering samples today for $10.00 I haven't been able to get it into bootloader mode (I wanted to try to monsterpack flex/flash it)

I haven't been able to get the wifi to work either (probably something I am doing wrong. The Verizon phone is not enabled but the GSM works fine with a T-Mobile or AT&T SIM.

It has a big battery.
  12. SnoopyII

SnoopyII New Member

So how do you get the Q9 Napoleon engineering sample phone into bootloader mode? or is it locked where I can't get it into bootloader mode?

I tried the "a" + "enter" + "power" key combo and it didn't work.

WHenever I try to monsterpack flash it with RSDLite it will reboot and try to put it in bootloader mode but then it is unsuccessful and boots back up normally.
    I have found that the "e" + "z" + "Power" will do the master reset (since it was fingerprint locked when I first got it)

I purchase stuff from a freight recovery company and I saw it and it wouldn't boot at all so they sold it to me "as-is" for $10.00. That is how I got it.
  13. MOTO MANIAC

MOTO MANIAC New Member

hold * # and then power it up.now you can flash it.

master reset is * E and power button.:wink:

and i bet you got 1 of my phone that was lost in transit as a few of them was jacked on the way to other companys as samples.damn fedex
  14. wnrussell

wnrussell Active Member

Anyone know how to get Windows Live Search (real GPS) working on this phone? Or any Verizon Q for that matter?
  15. TundraDome

TundraDome New Member

Well, another vote for Storm here - I tired of the long wait for THE fully operable, non-crashing (WM issue?), "swiss army knife" (wifi, etc.) Q; I doubted Moto's commitment to the Q, and moved on with the Storm - after 4 days of the Storm, no looking back for me. What a shame really (time to reveal my bias). I'm an ex-Motorola software engineer (many moons ago and not consumer phones, let's say other communication devices). I know the quality and technology Moto can bring to the communications devices, and I was dismayed when I finally realized (about 2 months ago) it was "over" for the Q.

Moto is a master of Comm Devices - and I bet they are moving to the future now: touch screen - I know - "blasphemy!", you say. I was a "non-believer" myself - but the Storm and my ipod touch have converted me. I have seen the light because touch screen technology has finally arrived in terms of real utility.
  16. jhalsey205

jhalsey205 Member

app install problem w/phatspell b/c of security settings

ok - i got the phone activated; added a couple of hacks (ie temp and email to storage card) and installed most of my favorite software without issue. My one exception (thus far):

PhatSpell - i installed successfully to the storage card, but upon trying to run, I received the following message:

"Device security settings do not allow to initialize keyboard hook."

Anyone have thoughts or comments on this?

Thanks

John
  17. txter

txter New Member

what phone are you trying to do this on?
    dont tell me that you too, also got a Q9N
  18. jhalsey205

jhalsey205 Member

Let's just say my trusty q9c is not getting a lot of use these days Like Miata said in a previous post, they are out there.
  19. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

youll get that error when you have more than one keyboad hooking apps..like phatspell..qcaps..etc.

can try installing hookmgr..free and has always worked for me.
  20. jhalsey205

jhalsey205 Member

hookmgr worked like a charm, thanks.

Curious that this was necessary as i have the device configured exactly as i had my q9c, and it was never an issue. Oh well. Thanks again.

John