New Issue w/WM 6.1? -- Random reboot/shutdown?

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9c' started by ian13550, Jun 5, 2008.

1. nparrott

nparrott New Member

I just did the reg hack, we will see what happens robot...

Thanks for the input...
  2. jlank

jlank New Member

I've been running the leaked 6.1 rom on my 9M since it was available and have had no random reboots. But I didn't have any problems with 6.0 either. I have several apps listed in the thread except google maps. Could it be the problem is with 9C model itself. Just my 2 cents!!

Thanks
    Joel
  3. mickeywi

mickeywi New Member

Well...I am on my 3rd phone in exactly 2 weeks. 1st one randomly shut down and it wouldn't recognize the storage care. That was replaced Saturday 9/20. This one would vibrate or make a sound whenever it felt like it. I would look at it the WM screen was on the display. BTW it was running version 6 and NO programs installed yet.
    Called US Cellular and they said to master reset....fine...still did it. Today they told me to take it back for another. When I went in the service tech was there and he has a Q9c. He said his did this in the beginning and he turned off automatic windows updates which fixed it. He also loaded 6.1 which looks nice ( I like the messages change). He took my phone to load 6.1 and turn off the updates. After 45 minutes he said the Motorola removed the 6.1 updt but he put on the latest version of 6 and copied my contacts back etc. I said I would try it.
    I went for my contacts list and it was empty. I could see the size of pim file was the same on the card and in root but still empty. Thought no biggie I'll resync....wrong couldn't sync....multiple errors. I proceeded to get in the car and go for the replacement.
    I have until 10/11 to change completely. I like the phone but if it happens again I will go with Blueberry as my 4 year old calls it. I've had it for 3 hours and no reboots.
    Have a good day all.
  4. nparrott

nparrott New Member

NO REBOOTS since the reg hack for what its worth! Just thought I would report back...

Unfortunately might be looking to soon get a BB Curve.. =) Company decision...
  5. wingnut144

wingnut144 New Member

Where did you enter the registry entry? In WM6.1 itself? If so, how did you find it? I'd be curious to try this fix.......

6. robotphood

robotphood New Member

Check post #94 (my post) on page 10...
  7. wingnut144

wingnut144 New Member

That doesn't tell me how you entered that registry entry. Is there a regedit for WM 6.1? How do you get to it??

8. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

get a registry editor and locate the key that is being referenced in that post
  9. wingnut144

wingnut144 New Member

Is there a good one for the Q??
  10. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

look in the hack section
    everyone has there own particular favorite

i use total commander
    others use resco or phm
  11. stilljustjen

stilljustjen New Member

Okay, I have a Q running WM5.0 and am not using any Apps that were not pre-installed. And yet, I have the random shutdown problem, even after a master reset. Any suggestions?
  12. halo0

halo0 New Member

My phone was rebooting several times per day. I did this reg hack and it stopped instantly. Is that key for the GPS receiver? Will the GPS receiver work with that set to 0?
  13. aplawing

aplawing New Member

the hack has wrked 4 me so far... we'll see. it has a mind of its own...lol
  14. bberryhill0

bberryhill0 Active Member

I tried it and it didn't help. It did cut the battery life way down on a battery that didn't have the shut down/reboot problem. I changed the value back to 3 and battery life went back up.
  15. kimchoc

kimchoc New Member

I've read through this whole thread and I have this to contribute. First of all, this is NOT a Moto Q9c issue. It is NOT a 6.0 to 6.1 upgrade issue. Simple reason?
    I have the orginial Moto Q and I have the exact same issues as described here. From day flippin one. Random shut downs. Random re-boots. Freezes. Wont disconnect a call. So its not confined to your 9c's and its not the fault of a 6.0-6.1 upgrade.

I've been considering an upgrade to this phone through my current provider Ntelos and now am not so sure I wont have the exact same issues.

I do have some thoughts to share on what is going on though. I've built a lot of gaming computers and have edited a lot of games. Through all my years there is a pattern with MS software. Right out of the box with a clean install there is absolutley no issues. Provided you have enough ram to run MS 98 or XP. The addition of ram solved I'd say 70% of all issues.
    As gamers/users we also faced .tmp files that clogged our computers. We faced multiple programs running in the background and occasionally, we installed something that prevented the game from running entirely. Our games stopped working after "upgrades".

Our solutions? Uninstall the last thing you installed. When did it last work correctly? Clean the .tmp files and prevent anything from running in the background. And when all else fails, reload the operating system and add things back ONE AT A TIME until the offending app is discovered. Those are troubleshooting procedures found throughout the gaming/software community
    Those are all MS operating system issues. With the Q specifically, I would hazard that most of you have loaded up your phones with add-ons. Today I discovered the "auto-texting" issue that seems to fix several users issues. And what does that tell me? That the phone is out of memory and clogged with .tmp files. If I'm not mistaken, you cant add memory to this device so the best you can do is shut down programs. Those of you still having issues need to re-load the OS and add NOTHING. Just use the phone and then add one app at a time. The ones that upgraded to 6.1 without uninstalling your apps, good lord who knows what you've got there in your registry.
    This is BASIC MS troubleshooting. You folks are all over the place with apps and issues. And from what we should ALL know by now, MS just doesn't make an operating system that doesn't have bugs and I expect nothing less from their mobile platform.
    Theres not going to be a magic bullet fix. Not one the "one" app that causes issues. My guess is that not all will solve their issues because not everyone is on the same page.
    This is just my observation with my computer troubleshooting advice thrown in. No offense to anyone but you are going to have to get on the same starting page to fix these issues. New phone with either 6.0 or 6.1 and NO apps. Use that as a baseline and go from there.
    Good luck and I'm going to look at Blackberry's. LOL I love my Q but dont want to go through all this again with a 9c.
  16. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

of course there are quite a lot of us who have used multiple Qs with none of these issues. It's not always microsoft's fault. Most of these issues can be fixed with regular maintenance, clearing tour temporary files and not allowing your saved texts and emails to reach into the thousands. Of course there are going to be some instances where the hardware may be bad, which explains the people who have the issue after a master reset.

Good luck with the BB hunting, they can have their own breed of issues...
  17. kimchoc

kimchoc New Member

Yep, that's about what I was saying. MS works clean out of the box. Its what WE do that screws it up. LOL

I'd rather not have a BB since I like the integration with my computer, but since the same hardware issues are here with the 9c, then I might as well consider alternatives. The problems really lie close to computer issues like you say and if you cant manage computer issues, this phone will be more than likely not to work properly for you.