New Issue w/WM 6.1? -- Random reboot/shutdown?

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9c' started by ian13550, Jun 5, 2008.

1. cirruslyloud

cirruslyloud New Member

same to you....
  2. kingsleyadam

kingsleyadam New Member

My Issues with WM6.1

Here is my LIST of issues thus far with my Moto Q9c upgrade to WM6.1

The home button no longer works, now I guess it's just for show.
    The call button no longer works. (good thing we can call people without pushing that button)
    I no longer get emails from my exchange server. Even when I compose a message it just sits in my outbox folder. I can sync just fine. (This is the big one as I NEED to send and receive all my emails from my phone).
    My phone doesn't lock after one minute as specified by my phone. (work won't be happy about this one). But it is locked when i reboot the device, just doesn't go back to locking.

I really wish I wasn't such a nerd and stuck with the old version, these things will drive me crazy and make me less 'productive'

Anybody know how to install the original version of windows mobile on these phones? I was extremely happy with my phone until i did this 'upgade.'

Any ideas?

UPDATE: I did a hard reset on my phone and cleared everything up. I think it was the Motorola software backing up my personal information that made the phone do these things. I had a backup of my contacts and that's all i needed so I'm much happier with the new update now.
  3. dafoxs

dafoxs New Member

I have nothing good to say about insurance. I live near sprint office. the guy told me its a waiste of money. I don't have it and replaced my phone for 38 bucks. figure out how much you pay in 2 years. 7 bucks a month. 84 a year. 168 per contract. These are words from a sprint guy at a corp. office. Most things covered have a deductable.
  4. destinydmm

destinydmm New Member

I have upgraded to 6.1, i had CHome, NRG Weather, Google Maps, Windows Live w/o messanger, Pnotepad, tgetfile, Pocket Nester, Dashwire, Prosper's Black Scheme (black soft keys hack), NET CF 3.5, RegEcit, Resco Explorer, HTC Unlock & Vito Copy Paste, as far as apps go.
    I was going to add Windows Live Search but it had frozen my Q9 on WM 6.0.:thumbdown
    I backuped my contacts, appts, SMS, etc. through pim.vol file, and changed my sprint banner.
    I have had to Hard Reset three times :angry:. First at a sprint store, once on my own and I will need to do it again at a sprint store b/c my prob now is that my phone will freeze/get stuck at the "Windows Mobile version 6.1" green screen. and WILL NOT turn on after that.it will sit there for hours on end. i am don't know what to do.
    ANY ONE PLZ HELP ME :angry: :wacko:
  5. cirruslyloud

cirruslyloud New Member

After having to get stuck without insurance one time, I paid more then I would during my contract. Guess it all depends on the phone you're replacing. After that, Its well worth the money. And I don't pay $7, I pay $4 a month. Well worth it, I went through 6 Q1, 2 755p, 1 700wx, and 2 Motorola Razr in 4 years that I've been with Sprint. I didn't pay a deductible on any of these replacements. The only con is that they could all "make a call" so I had to wait for the Corp store to order me one.

Either way...

To Each Their Own
  6. nparrott

nparrott New Member

Im sorry that you find this thread as useless. There are some people here that would like to find the root of the problem. Me being one of them, if your phone is fine, and you see this thread as useless then please do not put down us who care to troubleshoot and try to find a common ground with our phones. There are plenty of other threads for you to read/post without putting us down and degrading the thread.
  7. azibo

azibo New Member

My reboot problem has resurfaced. It seems to be related to GPS use of any type. If I forget to shut down either google maps or WLS, my phone will almost inevitably restart at some point. If I don't use these programs at all, it seems the problem goes away completely. At least, that's how it seems right now. Unless someone comes up with a better idea.

Oh, and who cares? Cirruslyloud, if this thread doesn't apply to you, or bothers you in some inane way, don't read it (and contribute repeatedly to it). Simple as that.
  8. robotphood

robotphood New Member

I think it's the same way for me azibo. The first time it happened I was running GPS Test in the background. Then it didn't happen for a handful of days when I wasn't using the GPS. The other day I left GPS Test on again and noticed it rebooted. However, it's never happened while I was using the GPS to navigate. Only when the phone is idle so to speak.
  9. backdown00

backdown00 New Member

I am not sure if this will help but I don't think this is just a 6.1 issue. My verizon q9c used to do this. Only saw it happen once, it randomly rebooted itself, not sure why.
  10. fowen

fowen New Member

My wife was using the Q9c on Sprint before WM 6.1 came out and had random shutdown issues. She thought it happened when she set it down on a surface, a couple times a day. I figured it was a hardware issue and she wanted the Rumor so I got her the Rumor for mothers day and the Q9 sat on the shelf.

I pulled the Q9 off the shelf the other day to play around with WM 6.1 and immediatly after I did the ESN swap I got the shutdown problem. I was on the phone with the rep rebooting the phone after entering in the MSID and it started to reboot then never finished, the screen went blank. I have seen the phone shut off completly once in my pocket since then... I think I will be getting a replacement from Sprint this week to see if it has the same problem.
  11. DarkGemini

DarkGemini New Member

look thunder cloud, if you don't have anything constructive to add, not including your disdain for this thread, feel free to make use of ALT+F4/ CMD+Q/ home key and close the browser window.

on the crashing, i've had my Q9C since mid December 2007, and it's crashed all of 1 time.

I loaded windows mobile 6.1 early sunday am, and it's crashed 5 times since.

Suffice it to say, there's an extremely strong liklihood that WM6.1 is the root cause, if not an app I installed following the upgrade.

I performed the upgrade with the Motorola software doing a personal data backup (which doesn't save your SMS messages, by the way. :-/ ), stripped all partnerships including exchange, and recreated 1 partnership with my desktop, and with my exchange server (2007).

I then installed the following:
    - Google Maps
    - HTC Unlock
    - Mapped IE caching to my SD card
    - disabled camera shutter sound
    - TCPMP and all available codecs and flash video
    - Esmertec Jbed
    - Opera Mini
    - Trackr!
    - switched TO sliding panels after reboot/ freeze/ crash nr. 5
    - OctroTalk

If I can think of any other apps i've run i'll advise, but I think this covers the gamut.

Also, does anyone know if there are any debugging processes native to wm6.1, or something available 3rd party (a la Event Logs in anything windows NT based) for wm6.1?
  12. yameen1

yameen1 New Member

For whatever its worth, I'm having this problem (though not very often) with my Verizon Q9c, WM6.0.
  13. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

keep it civil fella's.... (and no need for name calling either)
  14. robotphood

robotphood New Member

Anyone use this hack from the q: hklm>drivers>builtin>ipm>low power mode....change the value to "0"

I gave it a try and I haven't seen a reboot in over 2 weeks. I toyed with it and it seems like my reboots were most likely related to GPS use. I've disabled the hack and did experience a reboot although they aren't consistent. They seem to be triggered when the GPS is left idle for long periods of time. So far, no reboots with it enabled. We'll see how it goes.
  15. W9RAN

W9RAN New Member

I upgraded yesterday and reinstalled the TRACKR gps-tracking app that I have become addicted to. Today on a bike ride the darn Q9c rebooted three times before I finally gave it up. Since this is beta s/w I can't complain (much!) but it sounds like other released apps are having similar difficulty in playing nice with Mobile 6.1. I may go back to 6.0 if nothing else works, anyone know where to find the install files?
  16. stasis

stasis New Member

I have had this issue of random shutoffs and reboots on my Q9H when it was 6.0. I had ATT replace it once for that however have had it happen with the replacement. I have yet to have it reboot or shutoff with 6.1 however I have not installed anything yet, why not try re-flashing and not installing anything? What applications do you use, maybe we have one that matches that is causing this.
  17. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

because sprint's 6.1 was officially released reflashing is a bit harder. once the motorola software update program flashes the phone successfully, it deletes the file and will not redownload it until newer software is available. there is no going back as it doesn't make a backup of the original ROM either...
  18. DarkGemini

DarkGemini New Member

What? That was plenty civil. And I didn't so much name call... maybe I synonymized a little bit? :foot:

Anyway, the reboots have continued at about the same frequency since the upgrade to 6.1

I'm about due for a hard reset soon, anyway, as I hosed something up trying to get Garmin XT to acquire more than 1 satellite when interfacing with the GPS via a COM port. When I do so, and before I reload the Garmin software (groan), I'll make it a point to leave the phone unmolested for a few days and report on the stability. Then I'll start adding apps and customizations one by one and report on stability after each change.

More to come...
  19. nparrott

nparrott New Member

Any Luck? I wish there was some way to fix this. I honestly can say that I do not think it is related to any specific apps in general. I believe it is just a bug in the Mobile OS... They need to come out with an update for it!
  20. robotphood

robotphood New Member

Anyone try the reg hack I posted above? Anyways it worked for a month until I hosed some internet settings and had to master reset. I didn't reapply the hack but haven't had reboots for almost 3 weeks while using the same apps as before. If it starts happening again I'll try it again. Worth a shot if you're going to dump the phone anyway?