New Issue w/WM 6.1? -- Random reboot/shutdown?

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9c' started by ian13550, Jun 5, 2008.

1. rfarrah

rfarrah New Member

I've been having this issue with my USCC Q9c since they came out. I'm on my third one, now. I'm pretty sure USCC's units run WM6 not 6.1. Anyway, I've been working with the folks at USCC and they say they are supposed to have a patch / fix today. We'll see.

In the meantime, I've found that if I change my email settings from automatically checking to strictly manual, the resets stop completely.
  2. MissNeice

MissNeice New Member

The mysterious shutting down happened to me twice yesterday after I updated on Tuesday (July 8th). I pulled the battery just like everyone else. It hasn't happened yet today. I don't run any extra programs; just the standard IM/Sprint TV/Text Messages.
  3. MissNeice

MissNeice New Member

What's a "Sliding Panel" for my homescreen?
  4. dirtysouthrider

dirtysouthrider New Member

when u updated to 6.1 ...you have new homescreens added also called sliding panels...they are neat..
  5. MissNeice

MissNeice New Member

:gasp:You are right they are very neat! Didn't even realize that had changed with the update. Are there any other differences besides that and the threaded text? I just fell in love with the threaded text that I didn't notice anything else.
  6. dirtysouthrider

dirtysouthrider New Member

well there are the copy and paste feature and others
  7. coppertop24

coppertop24 New Member

My Q9c was upgraded the day the update was released and I never had any isues with reboots or shut downs. At least that is until i installed google maps a few days ago. i didnt make the connection until i read this thread yesterday, so i did a hard reset and did not reinstall GM. Well, no reboots. Im not sure if GM was the culprit, but removing it seems to have restored me to working order. Let me add that i have reinstalled all of my other programs and still no more issues.
  8. michaelof36

michaelof36 New Member

For me it was google maps, I was using an old version which caused random rebooting pretty often. Now I'm using v.2.1.0.10 which is a lot better, easier and faster and don't have all these random rebooting issues. Other than that its solid.
  9. jw1104

jw1104 New Member

Mine used to reboot everyday at 1pm. i was running pocket express auto update. And
    that was the time i had it set at. I anyone else running this? ever since i turned that off it quite doing it. when i was running sktools auto clean it seem to do the same thing? i was wondering if it could be a problem with not one program but any program that runs an "auto something".
  10. rfarrah

rfarrah New Member

That's an interesting point. Out of curiousity, does Google Maps do anything automatically? I have it running on my Q, but it didn't seem to have an impact on the resetting issue.
  11. nparrott

nparrott New Member

Ok NO google maps, NO sliding panels... STILL REBOOTING!! AGH!!
  12. robotphood

robotphood New Member

I've only had my phone for 2 days (came with 6.1). I did notice this happened yesterday. I don't have anything on my phone other than garmin XT and GPS Test. I did use sliding panels but I did a master reset to get my GPS working and ended up using the default homescreen and that's what it rebooted on. Switched back to sliding panels today. Let's see how it goes...
  13. cirruslyloud

cirruslyloud New Member

I can't believe this thread is 8 pages long...

Your phone should not be turning of on its own. If it does then I'd recommend either dealing with it or taking it to a Sprint Repair Center.

Thread Closed?
  14. robotphood

robotphood New Member

I think people are just trying to figure out the root of the problem. I don't think "dealing with it" is really acceptable. As for getting it repaired, that's not always a possible/affordable solution. If a "fix" came about, then it'd certainly be better than going through the trouble of getting it repaired, waiting, being phone-less, etc...
  15. cirruslyloud

cirruslyloud New Member

There's no fix as of now. So take it to a repair center. Why is it expensive? Don't have insurance? That's not a sprint problem....

Phoneless? They're order you one, I'd much rather deal with it for a week waiting for my replacement to show up.
  16. robotphood

robotphood New Member

Yes, there's no fix as of now. But I don't see any problem with trying to find one though. My Q had a similar problem that made it pretty much useless. But a few reg hacks completely solved my problem. As for repairing it, not everyone buys the phone from Sprint or has coverage. Insurance? It'd end up costing me personally over 50% the price I got the phone for. I just wanted to upgrade from my Q for a few months until my contract is up and I consider my other options.
  17. cirruslyloud

cirruslyloud New Member

You don't have to buy from sprint to get insurance. I bought mine from eBay and added it at sprint.com, I then called *2 and added insurance. I see the thread as useless. use the insurance, or get insurance and then use it. But continue to try to find a solution if you wish. GOOD LUCK
  18. robotphood

robotphood New Member

Insurance to replace it would be the inevitable choice, but I wasn't considering getting insurance after just getting the phone. I think most people posting in this thread had just noticed the problem. Obviously a quick fix would be much easier and this is the place to look. I don't think anyone here is waiting around for a fix to come about while their phone keeps rebooting on them.
  19. cirruslyloud

cirruslyloud New Member

So if you don't have insurance then why not add it. You can't call in and add it after 90 days (I think) of activating it. But you can ESN swap to a spare phone and then back to the Q9c and the 90 days (again I think its 90 days) is reset and you can then add insurance. Problem solved and then this thread will settle down.

I'm not being rude but it seems that you're only option at the moment is to replace the unit through sprint
  20. robotphood

robotphood New Member

I activated it 2 days ago so I have a bit of time. Replacing it seems like the only option. But first I checked this thread and put in my 2 cents. If it turned out to be an app conflict with WM6.1 then maybe future users can avoid problems. I'm not going to wait around for a fix to come about but I don't see the thread as entirely useless. It's very much similar to the Q reboot ones that ended up revealing a fix. It may not have helped the original posters but it certainly helped me and hopefully others. This is getting a bit off topic so thanks for the replies and see you around the forums. Good day.