New Issue w/WM 6.1? -- Random reboot/shutdown?

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9c' started by ian13550, Jun 5, 2008.

1. ian13550

ian13550 New Member

New Issue w/WM 6.1? -- Random reboot/shutdown?

Since upgrading to 6.1 on my Q9c on Tuesday, it mysteriously shutdown yesterday and would not start back up without pulling the battery. I had this happen once yesterday.

Today, while my phone was sitting my desk, it magically decided to reboot itself while sitting in the charger.

This phone is less than a week old, Sprint replaced my old Q9c because it wouldn't stay running either.

I'm wondering if anyone else has seen this?

--Ian
  2. coney718

coney718 New Member

Sorry to hear that. I updated mine on Tuesday as well and mine has been running great. Even better than before. Maybe one of your 3rd party apps is not playing nice with WM 6.1
  3. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

no, haven't seen that one. What software do you have installed (not trying to jump to conclusions, just working info out)
  4. ian13550

ian13550 New Member

Only 3rd Party app I have installed is Google Maps. I've been so burned by the Q9c instability the last 5-6mo that I'm afraid to load any software on it that it doesn't already come with.

The upgrade went pretty badly for me (lots of false starts/restarts, unplugging the USB cable, restarting the phone) and I didn't do a Master Reset before I upgraded.

*sigh*

Might have to try a reset again.

Anyway -- just wanted to start the thread to see if anyone else reports similar behavior.

Thanks
  5. kuluminati

kuluminati New Member

not to steal your thread. but The problem I have been having is when using the slide panel menu via Facade, when I open something from a panel like say email. It will open Tasks or Calendar or Power management along with email. I have to back out the other app to get to my email. its rather annoying. I updated to 6.1 on Wednesday.
  6. nparrott

nparrott New Member

I have had this happen to me, I am doing a hard reset as we speak.

Running 6.1 since Tuesday

Programs I was running:
    Good Mobile Messaging
    Google Maps
    Windows Live Search
    Rinku's Iconbar

Not quite sure what the deal is... For a day or so I am just going to run the Good Mobile Messaging for now and see how it runs tomorrow.

I think I had 4 random reboots today..
  7. D.Rich

D.Rich New Member

I believe this happened to me yesterday. I think I had IE and Slick IM running, then I looked down and my screen was black and I couldn't turn it back on! So then I had to take the battery out, and it was fine. Hope this won't be happening anymore
  8. whittw

whittw New Member

Mine is doing the same thing, very randomly. I have google maps, windows live and SMMS installed.
  9. nparrott

nparrott New Member

I did a hard reset on mine, and only installed my good mobile messaging and CHome Config.

I havent had any problems as of yet. I will keep you all posted...

Thanks for all the replys!
  10. NeoteriX

NeoteriX Member

I haven't had any problems with mine, although on one day the unit randomly rebooted itself twice. Since then, nothing but goodness. I wish I could say I knew what triggered them.
  11. nparrott

nparrott New Member

Had it happen 1 time today so far...
  12. Propal

Propal New Member

My phone is doing the same thing? I'm running WM6.0 and have google maps, kevtris, and some free background i got from this site. Any thoughts on what triggers this? I was suspecting heat or moisture being that the phone was in my pocket most of the time.
  13. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

could be heat. keeping the phone in your pocket can reduce the available signal which means that your phone has to apply more power to the radios. After a while this may cause the phone to shut down to avoid heat damage to the components. Although in that case you would definitely be able to feel it heating up in your pocket.
  14. GilmourD

GilmourD New Member

Has anybody noticed that everybody complaining of this problem has Google Maps installed?
  15. nparrott

nparrott New Member

Yea Mine did it 2x yesterday. First time in a couple days. I am not sure what to think... =(

I am trying to figure out what the common denominator is, I am noticing that obviously everyone so far has 6.1 on there device and just a couple programs.

I would love to try an narrow this down, I wonder if MS is aware of this issue I am almost to the point where I dont think it is anything 3rd party, but maybe a glitch with 6.1.

Thoughts anyone?
  16. johnwashere

johnwashere New Member

Mine has done this many times too. I have done a master reset and still get the problem. I have it happen usualyl every other day or everyday. It happened this morning to me a couple hours ago while it was sitting in the charged overnight. This is a serious problem and needs to be fixed. The q and q9c have been taken off the sprint store and engadget is reporing the q phones may be discontinued... I am going to sell my q9c soon for an instinct. the q9c has horrible reception too.. wm 6.1 has had other bugs too. :(
  17. nparrott

nparrott New Member

I love the Q9, and am not going to sell mine, but I am want to get to the bottom of this! Anyone else?
  18. GilmourD

GilmourD New Member

Given the evidence I'm seeing in the thread, I really think it's the combination of WM6.1 and Google Maps. Every single person in the thread who's complained of the problem has different software installed but always Google Maps.

If you're having the same problem but don't have Google Maps installed, raise your hand. :blink:
  19. nparrott

nparrott New Member

I have emailed a developer for Window Mobile 6.1

I ran across a Windows Mobile Team Blog, that had some developers that were posting some answers for folks, etc. This individual is a developer for MS Mobile, and I hope that possibly he can look into this for us!

http://blogs.msdn.com/windowsmobile/default.aspx
    That is the site I pulled it from, you all may have seen it b4

Thanks and I will keep everyone posted, I just hope its not something quirky with our devices!
  20. nparrott

nparrott New Member

I do not have Google Maps, after my last hard reset I dont have it...