New(ish?) web browser

Discussion in 'Windows Phone Software' started by jetteh22, Sep 9, 2008.

1. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

I tried the scroll wheel and it's not my thing..

potQ9c
  2. mike250rs

mike250rs New Member

where did you get this scroll wheel app from? Oh wait! thats what that useless piece of plastic is on the side. Hey, there's a button there too?!

used the wheel once just to say I did..

:)
  3. ParaCAD

ParaCAD New Member

Well....i'd love the side buttons i have on my Q9h....BUT im lefthanded...i cant get myself to make use of it...

Damn you (wrong handed) right handed people.
    Wheres my LFHD Q?? I'd pay double.
  4. mike250rs

mike250rs New Member

easy fix..

1. place Q in right hand
    2. grasp with left hand
    3. rotate 180¤
    4. pay me

:)
  5. ParaCAD

ParaCAD New Member

HILARIOUS!!.....shut up!....lol..here's you $0.02
  6. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

Iris Browser Update

for those using the Iris Browser it has been updated to version 1.1.13
    http://www.wmexperts.com/iris-v110-released

just open the app on your Q and it will ask you if you want to check for update, hit yes and away you go
  7. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

This is a really nice alternative to pie. It seems to load faster and seems to take you to standards sites where pie will redirect to a mobile site.
  8. n99hockey

yea i like it
    its a middle road between skyfire and PIE
  9. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

It's good enough for me to have it set as my default and the link for my internet button.
  10. n99hockey

wow....
    enjoy!
  11. kareljack

kareljack Active Member

I have a couple of issues with Iris.
    Selecting Options, Preferences causes a 10 to 15 second delay before the Preferences page is finally displayed.
    The browser does not recognize the backspace/arrow key on my Q9h. In PIE and Opera, it acts as the back button and it makes one handed browsing easy.
    Trying to modify the keyboard section under Options is a pain. Trying to scroll thru the options keeps bringing up the "selection is already in use" message. I am trying to find a solution that would allow me to use my backspace/arrow button as I do in Opera and PIE. I would appreciate any suggestions.
    When I do use the menu 'back' command, it seems that the browser reloads the page from scratch instead of from cache. I don't see an option to modify cache settings. Maybe I have to uninstall and do a fresh install as opposed to installing the updates on an existing installation?
    If I can rectify the above, Iris might just be my default browser instead of Opera mobile.
  12. helltoupee

helltoupee New Member

There is an option to modify cache settings but by the looks of it it uses PIE cache files . I uses it for a while and deffinetly has some very cool features but seems to be a massive Ram hog . I got an error twice in an hour that said something about low memory and then it auto shut down . I even made sure all other apps where shut down ect . Second time I started with over 20 MB free . YMMV . It has great potential for sure if they can get past the Ram issues IMO .

Hell Toupee from my Q9C
  13. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

If I set view to mobile mode, the browser will direct me to an iPhone version of the site (if available). Does this mean that the browser uses a Safari/iPhone user agent ID? Though not a fan of the iPhone, I do like the iPhone specific sites compared to wap or waterred down mobile sites.

An example would be if I type m.facebook.com in the address bar, the browser will redirect me to iphone.facebook.com.
  14. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

Anyone tried updating to 1.1.4 yet? I had problems remapping the keyboard for shortcut. One in particular is the back arrow. In 1.1.3 it was used as delete, but in 1.1.4 it keeps backing out of Iris and back to the last open app. I just reverted back to 1.1.3. Anyone else had my problem? Any solution?
  15. Dan'l

Dan'l New Member

Updated to the 1.1.4 last night and am experiencing the same problem. No solution as of yet.
  16. cjpederson

cjpederson New Member

If you prefer m.facebook.com (versus the iPhone version), you can scroll to the bottom of the iPhone version and there's a link to the mobile version. I don't see too much difference in speed between the mobile site on PIE vs. Iris.
  17. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

I actually like the iphone version better. Yes I am aware of the link at the bottom of the page. The difference in speed between pie and iris is more apparent when attempting to access standard sites. Iris will download them faster and will open more standard sites than pie can. Ex: www.youtube.com (standard site).
  18. darkdomino

darkdomino New Member

Iris is definitely not "new" by any stretch. I had nothing but trouble with it back in the day when I tried it.

And at the end of the day... a browser without flash? what's the point. Might as well use PIE, it's more stable and won't close down all your background processes while it sucks your memory dry.
  19. beats

beats Member

edit

<p>
    </p>
    <p>&nbsp;</p>
    <p>when I clicked the link I got a white screen with a bunch of scribble scrabble in black that looks like code or something .why? what happened ?</p> (the link to the screen shots you're referring to)
  20. beats

beats Member

can you post the cab file for this 1.0.15. version?thanks . or if even newer version out post it. thanks a lot