new guy with GPS questions

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9h' started by SpeedyG, May 23, 2008.

1. SpeedyG

SpeedyG New Member

well I'm not deaf but if the the internal receiver is a full GPS and the maps are stored locally then you should have a fully functional mapping solution with the exception of real time traffic and weather updates. That's really all I need as I have the laptop on a travel station in the work vehicle with GPS and a big screen.

Data plan may happen at some point but I simply don't use my phone the way most of you do. It is simply a tool to check email on the road and receive phone calls. If my usage changes then I will consider giving ATT another $500/yr. I am also looking at how the Act! integration works, which could change my needs.

My minutes average under 200 a month. My wife averages 10. I currently have about 3K roll over minutes. That should give you an idea of why I really have yet to see the need for the data plan. Honestly the best argument for an unlimited data plan is as an emergency connection for the laptop.

I understand what it's like to see a newb ask the same question for 1000 time and I generally search quite thoroughly before I post. In this case my searches did not give me the specific answers I was looking for.

Thanks for the help.
  2. Guardian

Guardian Active Member

Yeap, that's the point being made but I think he might have taken offense to the reply to clear that up.
  3. SpeedyG

SpeedyG New Member

XP Pro. No vista until someone holds a gun to my head.

I see no reason why all the maps couldn't easily be held on an SD card with something like copilot. My data install of Delorme on the laptop is about 600 meg for US & Canada. If I just want the data for say the east coast that should easily fit on the phone.

Only time will tell.

I do far prefer the motoQ over my blackjack and plan to take the time to make this one work for me. The blackjack was obviously just an interim step from the moment I got it.
  4. U-2

U-2 New Member

What are you talking about? I have 8GB Micro SD card, Garmin map for the whole US is ~1GB, TomTom Map for US and Canada ~1.4GB. I have both on my phone and have plenty of space for couple of other navigation programs. And I do not have a data plan.
  5. Guardian

Guardian Active Member

no one said you were deaf, you are just not getting the fact that it is a REAL GPS receiver but only gets the maps when it needs it and when you ask it to and based on where you are. It does not and will not download everything for you to have and hold when you need it and neither does a tradition GPS, granted they hold some.

I personally don't use a data plan. So I use mine as a digital planner basically by sync with my laptop and keep my information with me when I need it and text message plan and phone, that's it. I have a 1000 minutes with rollover and I use maybe 400 and I have nearly 6000 minutes in rollover most of which expire by the hundreds each month they are so old and until recently that my wife started using my phone to make all her on-call conferences, she was burning her 400 minutes all the time and now burns mine since I don't use them. Even then she can't hit 1000 a month.

I use my GPS on emergencies and only when I REALLY don't know where I am and that uses per use data and I pay for it. But I don't see the need for regular data plans to the giant either. Don't get offended so easily, we always help but we also try to get you to develop a thick skin for your own benefit and for you to get more out of things, we are all friends here. Good times.
  6. SpeedyG

SpeedyG New Member

I think my last posts sums that up. Real time info=data. Static maps should be no problem with a decent size SD card.
  7. Guardian

Guardian Active Member

trust me I know the feeling, I got stuck with it because it was on the laptop I use for work and I have no choice. On top of it, its the piece of crap AMD 64 which makes my life so miserable I hate it. But I have learned to fight back so I am good :)
  8. Guardian

Guardian Active Member

Good for you, then tell him how to do it and make him happy and maybe we can learn from you too. Otherwise, it doesn't do anyone any good to say you have it and do it.
  9. U-2

U-2 New Member

10. SpeedyG

SpeedyG New Member

Your are misinterpreting my reaction - I am not offended nor trying to offend. I participate in plenty of religious and political discussion on the net so my skin is most definitely thicker than it may appear.

Understand that technology is my business, as I'm sure it is for many here. So even if my my expectations are different from reality, those expectations come from a firm understanding of how this stuff works.

My experience with GPS (I'm a VERY early adopter of GPS) simply is different than what you are stating. With the laptop I have never needed to update the maps except yearly software releases. I've had GPS on the laptop for about eight years. With other mobile solutions you could load enough data at once to cover your area for the day. No updates to the maps were necessary as long as you were in the expected area.

There is no technical reason why constantly updated data is necessary for this to work to work as a stand alone device. Everything all of you are saying is not a technical limitation of the device but a software limitation.

Your point is well taken that if I'm going to use GPS for emergency only then I can just pay by the kb and maybe that's the solution.

Edit - I type slow - three or four more responses since I last posted. Nothing like landing with a BANG:2cool:
  11. Guardian

Guardian Active Member

I didn't have a reason to look for it or see it because I don't use it but now that I know where it is, I will take a look. Thank you.

I checked it out and unless I am missing something your instructions use the external GPS and not the built-in one, so that is not exactly what we are talking about here.
  12. SpeedyG

SpeedyG New Member

OK you tell me to have a thick skin and give this guy this reply?:tounge:

I'm sure several of you know each others personality by now but from the outside that's pretty funny.
  13. U-2

U-2 New Member

You are missing something...
  14. Guardian

Guardian Active Member

No worries, I didn't misinterpret and didn't think you were offending, I was just saying that I don't want you to think we are being rude or attacking in any way its just that we have accepted how it is.

That being said and as I have said before and maybe I just should stop, other external solutions that you have used have maps that they they download and use your GPS coordinates to plot you on it and thats great. But the phone does not and unless there is trick by someone will not hold enough data that if you deviate enough from your area it won't need the data. It will have to download the map and load it. For example if you use Google maps, you will see that it loads the grids as it grabs focus to them. However, Microsoft MapPoint doesn't as it has ALL the maps but Microsoft Live Maps do need to load the grids as they become necessary.

Anyway, if it works for you otherwise that's great and if this explanation is not good enough then maybe someone else who seems to have it figured out can enlighten. As far as U-2 saying it can hold everything and he has it, it is incorrect representation as it is being used with an external GPS unit and the phone NOT only the phone. Good luck and I know what you mean about other posts sneaking in while you are typing, I type fast but the length always guarantees someone has posted something in the meantime.

My wife has a Magellan and it works fine externally and has an SD that can even be downloaded to give a trip history and so on but never got it to work with the phone and never really needed to, its there why have it work through my phone when it can work itself. Anyway, good luck and its been a pleasure to have this lively discussion. I do politics too but I stay clear of religion, its a mess. :)
  15. Guardian

Guardian Active Member

Not good enough, point out what or keep it to yourself because that doesn't help. Your post is titled Tom Tom with Q9h, how am I missing something?
  16. Guardian

Guardian Active Member

What's wrong with it? Asking someone to share something makes my skin thin?
  17. U-2

U-2 New Member

You are missing the fact that TomTom 6 is a software, not an external GPS
  18. SpeedyG

SpeedyG New Member

well I leave it alone but generally if you start out by saying "good for you" I expect it to go down hill from there.

You explanation was good but you only confirmed my point. That is a software limitation not a hardware one. Maybe it's a limitation of the mobile OS itself but based on other ways software apps can access the SD drive in real time that doesn't seem to be the case.

As long as the internal GPS WILL work with other applications on some level I'm relatively satisfied even if it's not the solution I was expecting. When I started this earlier today I was given the impression that this device would only work with telenav and it's been confirmed that that simply isn't accurate.
  19. ptlee8202

ptlee8202 New Member

Maybe not the whole world. But, my garmin comes with software to move the maps I want to SD all done on the PC. And, my TomTom came with all North America and Canada on one SD. The point is, for garmin and TomTom maps you don't have to download them.
  20. Guardian

Guardian Active Member

Just like myMagellan is a software but you know what, you win. Whatever, if someone finds your instructions helpful that's all that matters and if not then their problem. I tried.