New Firmware Released - 28DR

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9h' started by bmurf, Jul 16, 2009.

1. lhbalesjr

lhbalesjr New Member

I saw a similar post on the Motorola owners forum:

https://supportforums.motorola.com/thread/13733?tstart=0

Was this post by you, or is someone else having the same problem?
  2. Frozen001

Frozen001 New Member

3. lhbalesjr

lhbalesjr New Member

I don't blame you. The squeeky wheel gets the grease.

Matt, the Motorola Users Forums Manager, just posted a reply to my question.

https://supportforums.motorola.com/message/51095

He said that this update would apply to my phone. I was about to post a thank you to him for the quick reply and I will mention your problem to see if he has any ideas.
  4. RichS

RichS Member

I have a Black Q9H and upgraded yesterday and have experienced zero problems. My experience has been the same as mmeiners:

- significantly improved voice and 3G reception
    - improved 3G data speed
    - solid 3G coverage
  5. kareljack

kareljack Active Member

For those of you with improved 3g speeds, are we talking about 100kbps here or around an 300kbps improvement?

If 3g reception is improved, I wonder if it will have a positive effect on battery life?
  6. RichS

RichS Member

Be happy to test it and report back if you tell me how.
  7. kareljack

kareljack Active Member

Well, as far as 3g speed, if you knew what your average consistent speed was before on a speed test, just compare it to what you are getting now on the same test performed about six times with about ten minutes between tests.
  8. RichS

RichS Member

Mr

Sorry, I never tested it before, I can say that web pages load much faster..........
  9. kareljack

kareljack Active Member

Well, fresh ROM...everything loads faster :)
    Hopefully someone else can confirm lasting 3g speed increase.
  10. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

11. lhbalesjr

lhbalesjr New Member

I did the upgrade on my Black Q9 Global last night and it worked just fine. I haven't been able to test the data speed yet.

I have another question. I ASSumed that since this upgrade was for both the Silver and Black Q9h Globals that both would now have the same ROM. If that is true, then both should have the same features and options. My Black Q has a power management feature under the second SETTINGS screen called POWER MANAGEMENT. The only choices you have are BACKLIGHT, TIMEOUT ON BATTERY, DISPLAY TIMEOUT, SMART BACKLIGHT, and WAKEUP WHEN LOCKED. I looked at one of the silver models when they first came out, and it had an additional setting called POWER SAVER, or something like that. I'm not referring to the option under POWER MANAGEMENT, where you can change the backlight timeout and enable smart backlight. This was a completely different menu option. On my phone, POWER MANAGEMENT is #4 on the second page under settings followed by AUDIO ENHANCEMENT as #5. The silver version had POWER SAVER as #5 just below POWER MANAGEMENT. When you went to that screen, it had an option for NORMAL or POWER SAVER. If you changed that setting, it required a reboot to enable the change. This must be something like the XScale processor I had on my Dell Axim X50v where the processor speed was variable. I think I read something somewhere mentioning this. Anyway, I still do not have that feature even after installing the new ROM, so I'm wondering if the silver version will still have that feature after installing this new rom.

Is there anyone with a Silver model who has performed this upgrade and would be willing to check this?

Thanks
  12. mojohio

mojohio New Member

Is anyone else having trouble turning their phone off with this update? Everytime I hold down the end call button to power off, it restarts. Only way to turn phone off is to take out battery? Anyone else with this? Any ideas? Thanks.
  13. Robokam

Robokam New Member

I had the same issue and after I removed NRG Mini Chome Weather 1.2 the problem went away. I haven't tried to reinstall it.
  14. Robokam

Robokam New Member

On my silver Q9h Global, there is a #5 Power Saver. The choices are Standard Mode or Battery Savings Mode. I upgraded to the newest ROM.
  15. mojohio

mojohio New Member

That would make sense, I do have NRG Mini Chome Weather 1.2. Let me know if you have a solution after you uninstalled to put it back on and have everything working OK again.
  16. mmeiners

mmeiners New Member

After a couple days with the upgrade I can confirm my initial observations:
    - significantly improved voice and 3G reception
    - improved 3G data speed
    - solid 3G coverage

However over time it also became clear that there is a price to pay for these improvements: battery time is about 20% less.

Overall still well worth the upgrade.
  17. roscoe22

roscoe22 New Member

Can anyone confirm this:

My friend upgraded his blk Q9h and claims that he can no longer access bandselect. He says the phone will only connect via Edge at his house (before, he forced 3G and was accessing a "non-AT&T" tower [partner] nearby). He's pissed and thinks that ATT put this in to save $ (i.e., ATT pays when using others towers). I can't confirm this till next week, but he is pretty phone savvy. :2cool:
  18. kareljack

kareljack Active Member

For those claiming improved 3g speeds, it would be appreciated if that claim was backed up with before and after test results.
  19. lhbalesjr

lhbalesjr New Member

Thanks for checking Robokam

Thanks for checking Robokam

I guess this means that there is an actual hardware difference between the black and silver models. The only other possibility that I can think of is that the ROM software update program has some way of detecting which model you have and installs different features based on the model. That doesn't seem likely, since there wouldn't be any reason to allow a feature on one phone, but not the other, unless there was some difference in hardware.
  20. lhbalesjr

lhbalesjr New Member

I know this doesn't help, but I tried to get a before and after speed test before I upgraded, but could not get any test on dslreports.com to perform a test. It kept timing out. I was concerned that it might be my phone, so I put my sim card in my old Cingular 2125, and ran into the same problem. I spoke to AT&T customer service today and she confirmed that they were having data problems. She told me that the problem began on 7/22/09 and that they did not have a estimate of when this would be fixed. There seems to be a lot of people on the various iPhone sites who are also having data problems.

I've used dslreports.com in the past. Do you have any other sites or programs that could be used for a speed test?

Thanks