.NET compact Framework

Discussion in 'Windows Phone Software' started by apperrault, Aug 1, 2006.

1. apperrault

apperrault New Member

.NET compact Framework

What are people's thoughts on installing this on your Q? It is already slow enough, will installing this slow it down even more? There are some programs that i would like to use that require it. I was just wondering what people's thoughts are on it before i install?

thanks
    app
  2. Stryker

Stryker New Member

.net

I installed directly to Q and if anything the Q seems more responsive now. Go ahead install. You'll need it anyway as more apps are made for the Q.:)
  3. gooberdlx

gooberdlx New Member

Do it... it'll only make your phone better...
  4. BriCo84

BriCo84 New Member

can someone hook me up with a link for that download? i can't seem to find it anywhere
  5. apperrault

apperrault New Member

6. brewer

brewer New Member

7. apperrault

apperrault New Member

Did you download that on the Q or from your desktop? it needs to be the desktop. it will install over Active Sync.

app
  8. brewer

brewer New Member

what folder do i need to put it in so its recognized??
  9. apperrault

apperrault New Member

when you download the program to your computer desktop, i am assuming that you are using a PC, you should just need to double click on the application, and it will run and install.

aaron
  10. brewer

brewer New Member

Put it on my desktop and then double clicked

stating i've already got the software installed
  11. gooberdlx

gooberdlx New Member

On your phone:

Start -> Settings
    G More
    B Remove Programs

In that list you should see Microsoft .NET CF 2.0

If you don't see it... it wasn't installed properly...
  12. brewer

brewer New Member

ok the software is not installed

my process....

connected Q to computer thru usb slot

activesync 4.2 recgonizes Q is connected to computer

they sync

i have the NETCFSetupv2.msi file on my desktop

double click the file

begins to install and then i get a message that the software already exist and i must remove it from the control panel

looks as if its trying to install it on my PC rather than my Q

anyone see a problem??
  13. CodeGuy

CodeGuy New Member

Go to:

http://hosted.filefront.com/CodeGuy

And download my little list maker app. You will probably have to paste that URL directly into your browser's address bar. For some reason, the link doesn't work right out of this forum. Anyway, inside my list maker, you will find the .NET 2.0 CAB installer. Copy this to your memory card, fire up file manager on the Q, navigate to the CAB file, and click / open it. This will launch the installer. You will have to reboot your phone to complete the process. This file comes directly from the development SDK for Wndows Mobile 5 Smartphone.

Guarenteed to work. :0)

Enjoy,

CG
  14. gooberdlx

gooberdlx New Member

Either that or you can go to your Add/Remove Programs in your Control Panel on your Computer... remove the Compact Framework from there (which will use the ActiveSync program manager to remove it, even if it isn't there)... then try installing it again.

Or use ^^ method :: shrugs ::
  15. CodeGuy

CodeGuy New Member

I pointed him to the CAB installer because I have had endless problems with the MSI that Microsoft provides as well. It starts up, gives me some configuration error, tells me CF 2.0 is installed, and exits. Of course, CF 2.0 is not installed. Dunno what causes this problem, but some machine configurations seem to exhibit this issue with the MSI, whereas the CAB works every time, because it takes ActiveSync out of the process. Besides, all ActiveSync does is extract this CAB file, copy it to the Q, and run it ;)

CG
  16. brewer

brewer New Member

much easier

thanks
  17. TundraDome

TundraDome New Member

Store .NET on Device or Storage Card?

Do I install the .NET framework on the Device or Storage Card? Would like to intall the .NET Framework on the Storage Card, but I speculate this framework must be installed on the device.

It seems like my device memory is somewhat low (at least to me), and I have a bare-bones Q - have not installed anything yet - have downloaded my email (and deleted most of it); removed attachments, moved all photos to the Storage Card, used file manager to delete any other memory stealers (mostly photos) (have music and photo files on the SD card) and still I only have 7.13MB of memory, out of the original 49.52MB. Is this (7.13MB) normal Device Memory available for a bare-bones Q?

By the way CodeGuy - thank you for your .NET CAB file - really appreciate it - I wirelessly sync and I don't want to hook my Q to my laptop via USB and ActiveSync for fear of causing conflicts with my wireless sync setup.
  18. gooberdlx

gooberdlx New Member

You can install it to the Storage Card, your situation is exactly what it's used for... but if you Master Reset, you'll have to reinstall as the device won't know to look on the Storage Card for the CF2.

have you cleared out your local IE cache? (its in the options/settings area)

installed applications take up memory as well...
  19. TundraDome

TundraDome New Member

Will it noticeably affect the performance of applications requiring .NET if I install .NET on my Storage Card? I know there's alot of variables to consider, but just a ball park guess would certainly help me. Or, should I install it on the Device to ensure top speed, etc.

I did manage to delete my IE Temporary Files (IE-->Options-->Memory-->Temporary Files Gained about 14MB! Thanks for all your help.
  20. gooberdlx

gooberdlx New Member

:) Glad I could help with the memory issue...

As far as the storage card, I would imagine that you wouldn't see any difference... once .Net is installed, it usually loads and keeps the .Net framework in memory (at least what is needed) even after you close down the application... so that other applications can use it. You probably won't experience any type of lag... though it is possible.