NES on your Q! (Play Mario Bros.)

Discussion in 'Windows Phone Software' started by tharmsen, Sep 5, 2006.

1. tharmsen

tharmsen New Member

NES on your Q! (Play Mario Bros.)

Hey everyone,

I haven't seen a thread on this yet so I figured I would help out. I've been playing NES games on my Q for a little while now and have found that it's very stable, fun and easy to use.

First off, you'll need the Emulator. Here is a link to download the NES emulator on your Q along with the Mario Bros. ROM.

How to use:

1) unzip the Emulator and ROM to your desktop
    2) connect your Q to Active Sync
    3) explore your Q and navigate to your storage card (or device if you don't have a SD card)
    4) copy the file "PocketNesterPlus.exe" to your SD card (I made a NES directory)
    5) copy the Mario Bros. ROM "Mario Bros. Classic (E) [!].nes" to your SD card (I put this in a folder NES>MarioBros)
    6) go to the File Explorer on your Q and navigate to the NES directory and click on the file "PocketNesterPlus"

This will launch the Emulator. Once it's running do the following.

1) click Options > Preferences and from here click "Associate .NES files" and click "ok"
    2) click Options > Display and check the radio button for "Landscape Left" and click "ok"
    3) click Options > Controllers and configure your controls. Highlight a box and then click the key you want for that function. The app will record that button. I used the D pad for movement and the A button for A, Q for B, S for Start and M for Menu. You can do whatever you like here. Note the D pad is reversed for some reason so it will take some playing around to get it right.
    4) Now hit "File > Exit" and close the app.

You can't launch games from within the Emulator for some reason. To play a game, you must navigate to the .NES ROM file location and click on it. This will launch the Emulator and start the game.

I've yet to find a NES game that won't run on this puppy. Since we can attach files to posts here, I will zip up a few of my ROMs and attach them to other messages.

Enjoy!
  2. tharmsen

tharmsen New Member

Here is an original arcade classic, SPACE INVADERS!!!

I love this old game... dare I date myself by saying I played this baby in the arcades as a kid for a quarter?

Attached Files:

3. tharmsen

tharmsen New Member

I still play this game on my Xbox 360. It's a classic... and one of my favorite space shooters. Galaga is a blast!

Attached Files:

4. tharmsen

tharmsen New Member

Who didn't enjoy playing Donkey Kong?

Attached Files:

5. tharmsen

tharmsen New Member

So you want Super Mario Bros? Ok, here it is!

Attached Files:

6. apperrault

apperrault New Member

Great work. I loved these games growing up. Out of curiousity, where do you find these games. I would love some more. How do you have your controls setup? it takes some getting used to, but this will be VERY fun.

Thanks and keep up the great posts.

app

7. tharmsen

tharmsen New Member

You can find ROM's by clicking this LINK.

You can do a Google search for "NES ROMs" and find all sorts of sites besides the one linked to above.

As for my movement controls... how do I explain this...

When you record your keys in the Options menu, I pressed UP on the D pad for left, DOWN on the D pad for right, RIGHT on the D pad for jump and LEFT on the D pad for down. This will map so that when you play the game that right is right, left is left, down is down and up is up. Let me know if this makes sense or confuses the hell out of you. :)

Other than this minor quirk, it's a rock solid emulator with lots of features.

Also, if you find a ROM you like ZIP it up and post it here. Many of the ROM files you download have every version of the game imaginable. Each on of the .NES files in a ROM ZIP file is a stand alone game (about 40k in size).
  8. Manipon

Manipon New Member

I have never done this because it is illegal, but you could do something like this:
    Go to mininova.com and search for nes roms. There might be a zip file that contains 2500 nes (260 MB) games or something; all the ones posted already. The dl may be divided into 4 separate zips so you can do one at a time or all 4. There could be letters after each file after you unzip which may tell you where the game was released (j) for japan (e) for Europe, etc.. Personal favs that you might find are Super Mario bros, donkey kong classic (origial + Jr. in one), Metroid, 1943, Bomberman, Bubble Bobble, paperboy, mega man, ghost and goblins, Joust, tetris, Mike Tysons Punch out, Zelda II, RC Pro Am, Super Sprint, Galaga, Mega Man, Karnov, etc, etc

btw - Dan99mp posted this in another thread:"Running Pocketnesterplus on your Q"
    http://www.smartphonesmarts.com/2006/06/running_pocketnesterplus_on_yo.html
  9. dhaberer

dhaberer New Member

now can you tell me how to control the volume? It seems to be stuck at the highest volume and I can't seem to lower it.
  10. apperrault

apperrault New Member

I was wondering the same thing. I was sitting here at my desk, and i wanted to see what the games looked like and the sound started, and it was VERY loud. I actually had to pull my battery out to get it to stop fast enough!!!

Great find though. I downloaded Punch Out and Paperboy!!!

lets see if i can still beat those games!

app
  11. tharmsen

tharmsen New Member

Exit the application, at your home screen press and hold the scroll wheel until you see the volume control for the phone. Reduce it to about 1/4 or so then go back to the game.
  12. valetudo025

valetudo025 New Member

why do the games go to the soft keys menus when you press two game buttons at the same time and depress them? it pauses the games and its annoying.
  13. SplinterLinked

SplinterLinked New Member

Thanks tharmsen!
  14. gun138

gun138 New Member

VOLUME HELP PLEASE !!! I can't figure out how to lower the volume.... Other than that Great Stuff Thanks:thumbup:
  15. gun138

gun138 New Member

OOps I didn't see that Sorry. I'll try it Thanks
  16. gun138

gun138 New Member

:whistling OOps I didn't see that Sorry. I'll try it Thanks:whistling
  17. djlactose

djlactose New Member

Technically it is not illegal is you own the actual titles you are using. Which I am sure everyone does :whistling
  18. austin

austin New Member

The emulator only lets me play in Portrait display mode, which sorta sucks...

Any idea why it won't let me change this??

THanks,

Austin
  19. tharmsen

tharmsen New Member

It will let you play on landscape, just press right on your d-pad and it will move to the next display option. Enter and Space won't do it, just the d-pad.
  20. austin

austin New Member

Ahhh.. There we go. Thanks for the tip, tharmsen!

Austin