Need Help with Ozone Storage Capacity!

Discussion in 'HTC Snap | Ozone' started by Juanhanded, Jul 17, 2011.

1. Juanhanded

Juanhanded New Member

I have an Ozone (Verizon),and I like,I am rough on phones(construction) so it is a good non touch screen,and cheap to replace if it is broken.

I don't use it for much,storage wise,I don't store music or video on the phone.I do take a lot of photos and keep them on the phone for reference(work related).As far as photos go,I believe they are stored on the SD card,so they shouldn't be eating up memory in the phone itself,correct?

The only app I have on the phone is a call history app.I also use Opera often for internet access.I don't download anything.

Quite often I glance at my phone and see a message something like: "Cannot download message,memory is low,please free up memory." By going to Settings>About,I see that I have 6.6MB of available storage,out of a total storage of 88.55 MB.Available memory is 60MB out of 111MB total memory.

I have eliminated some bloat by deleting some of the sample photos and video samples from the phone.When I do this,sometimes I will get a flurry of texts.Sometimes I will power the phone Off and turn it on,and receive more texts.I get the feeling I have received picture messages that the phone never downloaded.

How can I troubleshoot this and receive all of my texts and picture messages with no problems?
  2. mhans311

mhans311 Member

It has been awhile since I have used my Ozone (great phone by the way...I really enjoyed using it). If I remember right, you have to go into the options within the camera app and tell it where you want it to store the photos. If it is storing them on the phone, that may be what is eating up your storage.

I also remember having an issue when I had too many messages (email and text). The phone just didn't run right until I did a factory reset. If you have a lot of emails and texts, it could be hogging your storage as well.

You don't need to worry about the memory. From the message you said you got it sounds like you have plenty of memory, you are just really low on storage.

I will fire up my Ozone sometime to see if I can find where the setting for the camera storage is.
  3. Juanhanded

Juanhanded New Member

Thanks mhans.I'll have to double check if the photos are going where I thought they were going.(the SD card)

The texts themselves could be an issue.I don't send or receive too many,only a couple per day.And I very rarely check email with the phone.I have erased all of the picture messages or other junk.

I have not erased too many texts,as I get most of the texts from the same people and it is very convenient to just keep the thread going,if I need to send a text.I would say I have about 1000 texts (usually very brief) stored on the phone. How much storage could a conventional text message take up?
  4. mhans311

mhans311 Member

A text message is not very big. I think it is limited to like 140 bytes which is really tiny. You would have to have a lot more than 1000 text messages to fill up that much space. If you get a lot of picture or video messages, however, it could fill up a little bit faster.

I would check your camera settings. I think that is more likely to take up that much space than your messages are.
  5. Juanhanded

Juanhanded New Member

If I go to Start>Album>Albums>

I find:All,Camera Shots(All shots taken and not deleted),My Device and Storage Card.

In My Device,I have one sample photo(part of the bloatware),A sample Video (part of the bloatware) and 2 photos in "Temp"(photos I took,not sure how they got in there).

In "Storage Card",I find all the photos I took and not deleted.

In "Camera Shots",I find all the photos I took and not deleted.

I wonder if "Camera Shots"is stored on the device(phone) itself?
  6. Juanhanded

Juanhanded New Member

OK,so I synced the phone to the computer to get a better look at things.All the photos seem to be on the storage card and nowhere else.

Again,I have no music stored on the phone or storage card,but I eliminated the music samples included in the phone's bloatware.I eliminated "Bubbles" (a game?).I cleared the browsing history in Opera (gained almost nothing).

So,I picked up about 3mb of storage to give me over 8mb of available storage.

How can I free up more space on the device??Is the Ozone really just deficient in free space to begin with in stock condition?

p.s. when syncing to the computer,I went into My documents>UA Contents and found an "MMS log" folder.I eliminated all of the larger files and picked up another 3 mb of space.On the phone itself,I can't find an MMS log anywhere.And on the computer I couldn't figure out how to view what it was I was deleting.Anyone have help on this?
  7. mhans311

mhans311 Member

I will check later today to see how much storage my Ozone usually has free. I don't have it with me right now.
  8. Juanhanded

Juanhanded New Member

That would be awesome,it would help a lot.
  9. mhans311

mhans311 Member

Ok I just checked and my phone has a total storage of 88.55 MB. I have almost 30 MB free. If you only have 6 free, that's kind of weird. My phone no longer has many apps on it, but it does have a few. Do you have a lot of apps or documents stored on your phone?
  10. Juanhanded

Juanhanded New Member

Thanks for that info.
    I only have 2 apps.One is a Phone Log app and the other is an app to turn the data off.The phone log is holding about 55kb of data,the other app consumes about 5kb.

If I go into file explorer,I find that I have no music,one picture(an album sample),no ringtones,no videos,no notes,4 templates(about 80kb each),and in the MMS log,70r 8 items of a couple kb each.In task manager,I have about 7mb of various things running.

It doesn't really add up to much.

It's a big PIA.I received 4 picture messages today and sent about as many,then the phone would not receive texts and MMS and I got the errror message again about free space.
  11. mhans311

mhans311 Member

Is the phone log to record conversations? Maybe the files are taking up room? Anyways, as a last resort you can always do a factory reset on the phone.
  12. Juanhanded

Juanhanded New Member

The phone log was not used to record conversations.I installed it on the day I got the ozone.To be honest,I'm not sure what it did,I was using the phone history that was part of the phone's software anyways,and didn't realize it.

I removed the phone log and another program that accompanied it.I also removed a program that was able to turn off the data on the phone(I don't have an unlimited plan).Eliminating the data program gained almost nothing,storage wise.So the only program or app installed on the phone is Mobile Opera 10.

I have removed just about all of the album samples,video samples and other junk installed in the phone's bloatware.

I now have about 15mb of available storage on the phone,but I had to really strip things down to do it,no waste.Yes,I could do a factory reset and see what happens,but that wouldn't tell me what the issue was in the first place.With the 15mb,I shouldn't have the"please free up space" messages anymore,I hope.

What doesn't make sense to me is that the storage card available memory is up to 67mb available,it bumped up 20mb.I didn't eliminate anything stored on the card,like photos or music.

When I activated the phone I upgraded the phone with a factory upgrade to WM6.5,it had 6.1 prior.I wonder if 6.5 ate up a lot of storage.The factory upgrade was a mistake,as there is no way to go back to the earlier version and cooked ROMs will not install on the phone,I tried for many hours when I first got it to do so,after I installed 6.5.

What version are you running,mhans?
  13. mhans311

mhans311 Member

I actually own 2 Ozones (I told you I really liked the phone). One of them is running 6.5 and the other is running the custom rom from the xda forums. I actually was able to load the custom rom over 6.5, but I had to use a computer running Windows XP. For some reason It wouldn't work with Vista or Windows 7.
  14. Juanhanded

Juanhanded New Member

Yes,I tried all of the stuff at XDA when I first got the Ozone and finally figured I'd give up and not brick the phone.I guess the Ozone is such old news that guys like Ookba(?) don't even respond to anything on the Ozone any more.I figured if I wanted something that looked like a Droid,I'd just get a Droid.But this Ozone suits me fine for now,because of the environment I work in,it does what I need,it holds up,and you can find them for like $40.If I mess with the Ookba ROM again,I'll find a backup,(hopefully with 6.1)just in case I fry the phone installing the ROM.

Mhans,was that XDA Rom really like a dream come true?What phone do you have now?
  15. mhans311

mhans311 Member

Yeah, it seems like the people who worked so hard to make the ozone great have moved on to newer phones. like I said, I loved the ozone. I still use it on occasion during finals or other times I don't want to get distracted by my Droid X (which is my current phone).

I really did like ookba's rom. It didnt add a ton of new functionality, but there are a few more customization options. I also liked the look of it and it ran a bit faster and smoother. I was able to install it just using the instructions at xda. Like I said, it didn't work until I did it on an XP machine. Had to go to my parents house for that :)