need help with EVDO vs 1X

Discussion in 'Motorola Q' started by wardenclyffe, Aug 24, 2009.

1. wardenclyffe

wardenclyffe New Member

need help with EVDO vs 1X

have a q on cricket and it works great but wife has the same exact model and phone. when we first got them we didn't have data plan enabled so we had to call cricket and get that done-no problems there. Wife was one who called so CS rep had her dial *228 but store that flashed them for us said NEVER dial that and shes lucky it didn't wipe his settings! Now her phone says EV or 1x depending on signal. I have full signal typing this on my q now but mine always stays on 1x. store says not to dial it on mine still and have read all the threads about it here and at Howard's and so on.
    What I need to know is WILL IT mess up the flash or settings if I do the *228 or not? I want the EVDO we have here with cricket (supposedly few cricket markets do?) but don't want to mess up my phone and have to go back and pay him if I can't get the self-setup posted here t work if it goes wrong. I know and understand all the settings and have PHM and have done all the other hacks and programs without problems. any guru and other advice dearly wanted and I will thank all.
  2. wardenclyffe

wardenclyffe New Member

GOT help with EVDO vs 1X

Well I spent the DAY both at 'dial-up' speeds on my Q (and now the incredible fast speed possible) and reading posts here at home on other Google searches, and I am pleased to share that I went ahead and DIALED *228 after calling the store that sold us the phones and being told that while it may be WHY my wife's Q goes faster and shows EV(do), he doesn't recommend doing it. I am VERY pleased that my phone now has EV and 1X, by signal or area, and my internet is five times faster if not more. Hope this helps someone next in my same situation and makes your decision easier.
    There are actually posts HERE that have post 1 saying DO NOT EVER DIAL *228 and the very next post says 'yeah it's OK, go ahead and dial *228!'
    Go figure.
    Still the most useful site I have ever had for learning and information or programs on the internet since it started being the internet. Thanks for reading.
    -NT
  3. civil

civil New Member

For what is worth, I have done *228 reprogramming on my phone (for cricket), with no ill effect whatsoever, and it fixed my problems.

And I have also done *228 reprogramming, and it wiped all my settings!! I have no idea why sometimes it is ok, sometimes it is not.

You take your chances, better safe than sorry.