Need help deleting an .exe (SPBattMet)

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9h' started by roscoe22, Feb 4, 2009.

1. roscoe22

roscoe22 New Member

Need help deleting an .exe (SPBattMet)

I've loaded Smartphone Battery Meter (SPBattMet) on my Q9h (w/6.1) as per their installation instructions (putting the spbattmet.exe directly to the StartUp folder).

My question is: How do I delete or move this file. When I attempt to do so, an error message shows indicating that the delete or moving of the file cannot be accomplished because the "application is being used elsewhere". Thanks for your help.
  2. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

go to the task manager and end the program and then delete

-Sent from my Q9n
  3. roscoe22

roscoe22 New Member

Thanks for the reply. However, the battery app does not show up in Task Manager. Is it possible to to prevent the startup folder contents from initiating when powered up? - then delete the file. Any other ideas?
  4. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

just click on the file and it will turn off
  5. roscoe22

roscoe22 New Member

Still no dice. While in File Manager I tried clicking on it to turn the .exe off with both the center wheel button and the keyboard return key. Rats. Any other ideas?
  6. ParaCAD

ParaCAD New Member

Your unable to go to start>settings>remove programs?
  7. roscoe22

roscoe22 New Member

Thanks for sticking with me. The program does not show up in Settings>Remove Programs. This app was installed by inserting the .exe to the StartUp folder as they indicated. Is Task Manager the only way to end a program?
  8. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

what happens if you put another copy in the "start menu" folder...go there..and then center-d-pad click on it?
  9. roscoe22

roscoe22 New Member

I synced another copy in. When I center clicked it, I got ALERT - Cannot Start"SPBattMet". A critical component is either missing or failing due to low memory.
  10. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

id just copy the file you already have in startup and paste it in start menu.
  11. roscoe22

roscoe22 New Member

Thanks for the help. I originally tried to Move and then Delete the .exe in the StartUp but was denied. If I try to execute a new .exe, the original one running in the background prevents me. Apparently a shortcoming in this app. I'm not going to commit suicide over this, but would like to know how to remove this without a Master Reset.
  12. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

im not saying move it....or adding another. if you copy it from startup...its just a shortcut (.ink) to the original .exe. then maybe you can click on it from the start menu!
  13. roscoe22

roscoe22 New Member

I did like you said. After pasting, it showed with an icon in Start. I clocked on it and it did nothing. I then went to StartUp and tried to delete it. Again - no dice. It seems that the program does not have a provision to unexecute. I do appreciate the help. If you have any other ideas, I'll keep trying as long as ya'll can stand this!
  14. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

do a reboot and then click again in the start menu?

see if you can delete it via remove programs via ActiveSync's remove programs utility?
  15. roscoe22

roscoe22 New Member

Tried to delete the pasted .exe out of the Start Up folder and got the same error that this one also cannot be deleted because it is being used elsewhere. Damn.
  16. roscoe22

roscoe22 New Member

No show in ActiveSync's "Remove Program" utility.
  17. roscoe22

roscoe22 New Member

- Did get the pasted .exe out of the Start folder via Folder Manager.

- To get the original .exe out of the Start folder it appears that I would have to stop the Q's Power Management program perhaps first - as the error message indicates that the deleting or moving of the file cannot be accomplished because the "application is being used elsewhere". I'm not sure if this is worth doing.
  18. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

one last thought...

how about in task manager...switch to process's...not applications...and seeing if its in there to kill?
  19. roscoe22

roscoe22 New Member

Sorry I didn't respond quicker. No option to switch in Task Manger (only "Task Manager" was running). I'm going to start a new post and see if anyone has got one of the smartphone or Pocket PC "SafeMode" Software Utilities to work on the q9h. They seem to prevent Startup from running. By the way - Thanks TreeFrog for all the help. If you get any other ideas, please let me know. I'll be watching. Thanks again.
  20. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

in that task manager you hit view...process's

and what do you see in start...system tools...task manager?

(my VZW Q9c has 2 task managers...)